News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

The Canucks were put out of their misery. Time to concentrate on the yard work.

Neil

Well, at least Luongo will be able to win a Cup after he gets run out of town by Canucks fans, who all hate goalies.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on April 22, 2012, 11:35:59 PM
Time to concentrate on the yard work.
there's like, 2 feet of snow out there... 'tis what I had planned for the week-end though.  That and watchning the Penguins win, and the Canucks win.  Nothing is ever right.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Problem with Vancouver going out in the first round is what I once stated either in this thread or somewhere else. The playoffs make a mockery of the September to April regular season. There's no point to doing well in the regular season. As long as you make the playoffs (and most teams, other than Toronto, do so with regularity) you can still win the Cup. While that might please the egalitarian in me, in sports I find it silly. Vancouver were the best team all year and blow it all in a 5 game series. That's why I stopped watching regular season hockey. It means absolutely nothing.
Which is why soccer is so superior. The regular season league and the knockout trophy are two separate tournaments, each with their own respectful tradition.
This is not a rarity, either. Look at the Caps two years ago and the Sharks the year before that.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 23, 2012, 08:50:42 AM
Problem with Vancouver going out in the first round is what I once stated either in this thread or somewhere else. The playoffs make a mockery of the September to April regular season. There's no point to doing well in the regular season. As long as you make the playoffs (and most teams, other than Toronto, do so with regularity) you can still win the Cup. While that might please the egalitarian in me, in sports I find it silly. Vancouver were the best team all year and blow it all in a 5 game series. That's why I stopped watching regular season hockey. It means absolutely nothing.
Which is why soccer is so superior. The regular season league and the knockout trophy are two separate tournaments, each with their own respectful tradition.
This is not a rarity, either. Look at the Caps two years ago and the Sharks the year before that.

Agreed with everything you said, except you need to add Edmonton in the same sentence as Toronto.

Another thing hockey has to do to become a real sport is its star players have to be able to play and not sit at home with concussions.

Neil

The tears of the Canucks fans are delicious.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2012, 09:28:00 AM

Another thing hockey has to do to become a real sport is its star players have to be able to play and not sit at home with concussions.
i agree with that in part, but if the stars want to get into the scrum and give some shots, then they're open game (looking at you crosby)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

I agree.  But your example simply illustrates the problem hockey has in breaking out to a wider audience.  Why is it that there are scums in the first place.  In Rugby players in full contact with eachother break apart on a whistle without any assistance by a linesman or the referee.

Valmy

Man this sucks.  Not only am I nervous as hell about the game tonight but I am going to miss it working on this stupid ass Engineering project.  Hope the Caps can win it without their #1 fan in Austin (as in their only fan in Austin) watching on TV.

This could mean no more Hockey for me this year if they lose  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

HVC

Kind of a anti-climatic ending. Congrats valmy.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Woot, something to be happy about in these playoffs.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on April 22, 2012, 11:40:25 PM
Well, at least Luongo will be able to win a Cup after he gets run out of town by Canucks fans, who all hate goalies.

No one ever hated Maclean. He was the goalie "Trevor".

I really do think the media overblows the trolls Luongo hating from the cbc and Province comment boards. The people who post there are only slightly higher than youtube commenters on the internet intelligent-o-meter.

The majority of Canucks fans I deal with on a daily basis (as many as any quickie one afternoon REID poll) have nothing but respect for Lu for the most part (he is prone to massively bad single games on occasion. I think if he goes, he might go somewhere with no media (south USA) though.

As far as the Canucks run this year goes. they didn't play good enough. Simple as that. There's always next year. It's not like they are the Leafs. :p
:p