News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2011, 01:22:15 PM
I understand language and nationality are important political issues in Quebec but Hockey is too important to be tainted by them :P
It's a business.  First&foremost, it's a business.  It lives by the number of people attending the games, seeing the games on tv, in bars&restaurants, it lives by the number of people having jerseys or other derivative products.

And for that, you need to win the heart of the populace.  Winning is one way.  But the coach won't change anything to that.  Even the absolute best coach in the world, if he was Russian, not speaking english or french couldn't be expected to win year after year.  But having local people, coaches&players, to whom the populace can identify is a big plus when it comes to marketing.  But it's not as essential as the coach, the one who will communicate with the local medias.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2011, 01:36:33 PM
Yeah just to be clear it is more of my frustration with the Habs languishing (yuk yuk) as they are in suckiness than thinking that they are just one mono-lingual Swedish coach away from victory.  But still.  That accouncement rubs me the wrong way.
bah.  I'm happy at their suffering for now.  That will teach them humility.  So far, they spent longer without a Stanley Cup than the Nordiques ever did.
The game has changed.  Lots of Europeans now, more teams, more balanced teams actually.
It's good for them that they suck.

When the Nordiques come, they'll win everything.  It's sad they won't be able to win the Stanley Cup in a seventh game in Montreal tough :(

*ok, seriously, I'm sad for the Montreal fans, I know how it's tough seeing your team losing, especially when they finish first of their division and fall in 1st round.  It's bad to see them lose when you're in the forum/arena/whatever place.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on December 20, 2011, 11:51:51 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2011, 09:41:47 AM
But keep your paws off of Claude Noel.  He's ours.
See GF :)
I wouldn't dream of removing your head coach.
But Vincent might be a good candidate for the Nordiques when they come back ;)

I kenw that.   :cool:

I'm not so attached to Vincent, but I'm loving Noel.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Leaving the Habs behind...

How do we solve the brain injury problem?  would adopting the european rules and rink size diminish the problem?  Do we go back to the era of slow hockey players and the über defensive play?

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2011, 01:22:15 PM
The two most important franchises in the NHL are Montreal and Toronto.  They represent the tradition, the passion Canadians have for the game, and the glory and all that.  When people think about Hockey they think about those franchises. 

I think I'm going to be sick.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on December 20, 2011, 02:01:55 PM

How do we solve the brain injury problem?  would adopting the european rules and rink size diminish the problem?  Do we go back to the era of slow hockey players and the über defensive play?

I'm pretty sure a lot can be done on helmet design.

Absolutely a larger ice surface would help.

Ban fighting.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2011, 02:02:58 PM

Look I hate the Yankees and Cowboys as much as anybody but I am not so partisan to not know what they mean to those leagues.

You know what I am getting at.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2011, 02:11:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2011, 02:02:58 PM

Look I hate the Yankees and Cowboys as much as anybody but I am not so partisan to not know what they mean to those leagues.

You know what I am getting at.

The Lefs in particular are improtant to the league because they drive revenue.  they don't represent passion however - the ACC is one of the more lifeless places to watch hockey.  Both teams are also owned by giant faceless corporations - again the oppsite of passion and tradition.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2011, 02:04:49 PM

Ban fighting.
How many concussions actually arrive from fights? and whats the percentage for over all concussions?

I agree with better helmet designs, but i think they should go back to softer shoulder pads.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PRC

Quote from: viper37 on December 20, 2011, 02:01:55 PM

Put the red line in the middle of the ice back in again so you blow a whistle on a two-line pass.  That might slow players down coming into the offensive zone and eliminate some of the open ice hits.  Those don't seem to be the real problem though... lately it's fluke plays and heads being smashed into boards from behind.  Maybe those little STOP signs kids in junior have on the backs of their helmets should be brought into the NHL.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2011, 02:23:22 PM
The Lefs in particular are improtant to the league because they drive revenue.  they don't represent passion however - the ACC is one of the more lifeless places to watch hockey.  Both teams are also owned by giant faceless corporations - again the oppsite of passion and tradition.

You are getting too concrete here.  I am talking about the value of their brand and what they represent.  Whenever Americans make fun of Canadians and their love of Hockey, they have them all saying 'go Leafs' for example.  Because even Americans who know nothing about really about Canada or the NHL are aware Canadians love Hockey and know who the Maple Leafs are.

The reason they drive revenue is because of the values their brand represents.  Unfortunately it is beginning to represent bad bad hockey and if that giant faceless corporation had any sense they would be working harder to protect what they have.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

First, we have to accept that this is a concussion sport, concussions will happen. You can't stop it.

Changing helmet design could help I dont know. Reducing the size of upper body gear protection will also help. Smaller & much more maneable. No more hard as kevlar.

Banning Fighting is useless, plus fighting is fun. Eliminate the investigator rule.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on December 20, 2011, 02:29:12 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2011, 02:04:49 PM

Ban fighting.
How many concussions actually arrive from fights? and whats the percentage for over all concussions?

I agree with better helmet designs, but i think they should go back to softer shoulder pads.

Go back and read the NYTimes feature on Derek Boogard.   A hell of a lot of hockey enforcers are displaying significant difficulties in retirement, and Boogard's brain should substantial damage when analyzed.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 20, 2011, 02:37:06 PM
Banning Fighting is useless, plus fighting is fun. Eliminate the investigator rule.

Fighting is fine the way it is.  There are rarely any fights, we do not want a return to 'fighting as a strategy'.  Besides I want to watch a Hockey game not see the players go into the Octogon where having a hockey stick puts you at an immediate disadvantage.

What are they already doing to combat concussions?

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2011, 02:40:24 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 20, 2011, 02:37:06 PM

Fighting is fine the way it is. 

Tell that to Derek Boogard, Wade Belak, and Rick Rypien.

Quote from: Valmy
What are they already doing to combat concussions?

Shanahaan's crackdown on dangerous hits.  Implemented a concussion on protocols, though its questioned how well it is followed.  Players like Pronger continued to play for several games after receiving a concussion.