And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on December 19, 2011, 08:53:37 PM
Quote from: Neil on December 19, 2011, 08:25:48 PM
I keep seeing this, but it's still retarded.  English is the language of hockey, and so English is the language that everybody must speak.  After that, everything else is optional.
The CBC airs hockey games in Punjabi.  It's got to be important enough.
The CBC has nothing to do with hockey.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on December 19, 2011, 07:24:32 PM
Quote from: PRC on December 19, 2011, 04:32:48 PM
That's too bad.  It means the Habs are not willing to hire the best coach available... and so are not dedicated to winning. 
really?  I can count quite a few bilingual coaches out there.  Winnipeg has a bilingual assistant coach ready for the big job.  Patrick Roy is available, so is Bob Hartley at the end of the season.  When the Tampa Bay Lighting hired Guy Boucher, who was part of the Habs' organization, did anybody say he was incomptent?

So already the Habs have come to learn from the superior Winnipeg Jets organization.

But keep your paws off of Claude Noel.  He's ours.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2011, 09:41:47 AM
That's too bad.  It means the Habs are not willing to hire the best coach available... and so are not dedicated to winning. 
really?  I can count quite a few bilingual coaches out there.  Winnipeg has a bilingual assistant coach ready for the big job.  Patrick Roy is available, so is Bob Hartley at the end of the season.  When the Tampa Bay Lighting hired Guy Boucher, who was part of the Habs' organization, did anybody say he was incomptent?

So already the Habs have come to learn from the superior Winnipeg Jets organization.

He meant Pascal Vincent.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 20, 2011, 10:59:57 AM

He meant Pascal Vincent.
christmas and easter? seriously. Is there a rudolf and and Mr. E Bunny who works for the jets too? :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on December 19, 2011, 08:59:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 19, 2011, 08:53:37 PM
Quote from: Neil on December 19, 2011, 08:25:48 PM
I keep seeing this, but it's still retarded.  English is the language of hockey, and so English is the language that everybody must speak.  After that, everything else is optional.
The CBC airs hockey games in Punjabi.  It's got to be important enough.

Arguably the NHL wouldn't be what it is today without CBC.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

See GF :)
I wouldn't dream of removing your head coach.
But Vincent might be a good candidate for the Nordiques when they come back ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on December 20, 2011, 11:06:18 AM
christmas and easter? seriously. Is there a rudolf and and Mr. E Bunny who works for the jets too? :D
Pâques is the actual french word for Easter.  Pascal is the adjective as in congé pascal.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Right.  Let's shut down the CBC and fire Don Cherry.  We'll see how that goes with hockey fans accross Canada ;)

PRC

Irrelevant.  There may be good bilingual coaches out there, that's not the issue.  The Habs owner said they would only hire someone who spoke French... so the situation may arise where the best available coach would not be hired because he didn't speak French, thus potentially denying the team their best chance to win.

HVC

Coaches are over rated anyway. You need good GM's who can get good players. A good coach can make a a good team better, but not even a great coach can make a bad team good.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on December 20, 2011, 11:55:12 AM
Right.  Let's shut down the CBC and fire Don Cherry.  We'll see how that goes with hockey fans accross Canada ;)
The NHL will endure, CBC or no.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 19, 2011, 04:44:30 PM
Bah.  It's a business too.  Your coach is one of your major team spokesman.

And I *think* that the Habs aren't limiting themselves to French Canadian coaches, but ratehr that knowing French is a requirement.  Which opens the job to plenty of other Anglo Canadians (don't think too many Americans speak French though).

Yes they are the Montreal Canadiens.  Being their coach is a business: the business of winning and the business of excellence in Hockey.  Besides every year Montreal does not strive for excellence is another year their brand and their reputation as a franchise takes a blow-and over time they will hurt the business end.  The ownership needs to worry about the PR side of it, the Hockey side needs to worry about Hockey not get distracted with language considerations.

The only culture anybody should care about on a franchise of that calibre should be a culture of winning and the only language that matters is the language that allows a coach to coach his team to victory.

The two most important franchises in the NHL are Montreal and Toronto.  They represent the tradition, the passion Canadians have for the game, and the glory and all that.  When people think about Hockey they think about those franchises.  The Maple Leafs are really beyond contemptible, it is like if the Red Sox or the Yankees just decided to forget trying to win and just make money because they are the Yankees and Red Sox and be happy with last place.  It sorta ticks me off Montreal would be hiring coaches on any other basis besides their ability to bring another championship to Montreal.  Those two franchises need to be good, so that I can hate them.  Their suckiness is very frustrating.

I understand language and nationality are important political issues in Quebec but Hockey is too important to be tainted by them :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on December 20, 2011, 12:04:27 PM
Coaches are over rated anyway. You need good GM's who can get good players. A good coach can make a a good team better, but not even a great coach can make a bad team good.

If a good coach makes your team better how is that overrated?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: PRC on December 20, 2011, 12:02:40 PM
Irrelevant.  There may be good bilingual coaches out there, that's not the issue.  The Habs owner said they would only hire someone who spoke French... so the situation may arise where the best available coach would not be hired because he didn't speak French, thus potentially denying the team their best chance to win.
they change coach every 2 years on average.  I don't believe in this "best coach" theory.  Alain Vignault coaches Vancouver, yet he was deemed not enough qualified for the Habs.  He came very close to winning the Cup.  Claude Julien won the Cup with Boston, yet he was fired from Montreal a few years earlier.

From time to time, a coach will come with a new system.  Like Guy Boucher in Tampa Bay.  And within a year, they will all imitate him, and/or find the flaws in his system.  Or simply, they'll have better players with a slightly different system.  And it will become irrelevant.

What makes the difference is the quality of the players you can have on first 2 lines.  And, if, like the Penguins when they won the Stanley Cup, you have 4 lines wich are as strong as the first line of an average team like the Habs, you have victory in your grasp. 
Julien or Vignault in Montreal didn't do anything, they couldn't do anything now either.
Coaches are over-rated, not because they are unimportant, but because once they reach the NHL and coach for a few years, the top teams have coaches that are mostly equal in talent.

Valmy

Yeah just to be clear it is more of my frustration with the Habs languishing (yuk yuk) as they are in suckiness than thinking that they are just one mono-lingual Swedish coach away from victory.  But still.  That accouncement rubs me the wrong way.