And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 28, 2011, 11:39:27 AM
1 week, how many games is that?

IMO he's going to get 1 or 2 games because Letang wasn't injured on the play(Broken Noses do not count, THIS IS HOCKEY).
that was 3 games, close to a week ;)

And the Habs didn't even come close to posing a challenge for one of the worst teams of the NHL...  I knew I should have better on this game,
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on December 01, 2011, 11:01:35 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2011, 10:09:13 AM
2. Phoenix visits Winnipeg tonight. :menace:
CRUSH 'EM!!  :D

Well 1-0 is hardly a crushing victory, but it *is* a victory.  I don't know what I would have done if my guys lost to the Yotes.  They do look pretty good again this year, even without Bryzgalov.  Viper you might get a half way decent team next year. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on December 02, 2011, 09:43:04 AM
Well 1-0 is hardly a crushing victory, but it *is* a victory.
At the end of the season, it pays more to win ten games 1-0 then one game 10-0. ;)

I don't know what I would have done if my guys lost to the Yotes.
Probably the same as the Habs fan losing to the Ducks  :D

QuoteViper you might get a half way decent team next year. :)
I'm not getting my hopes up 'til it's a done deal.  You never know when someone in Kansas or Utah can come in and sweep them from under our noses.  Plus, there's always the rumour about one more credible buyer out ther to keep the 'Yotes in Pheonix without public money.  You never know when one might be true.
So, no optimism here.  I'll cheer when they come.

Doesn't mean I haven't started planting the seed of a group season tickets buying... ;)
40 games in town, if we're 20 to buy a pair of good season tickets, with a proper lottery for picking the games, it could be nice.

Zoupa

Realignement of conferences approved by the GMs:

Proposed northeast division:

Mtl
Bos
Tor
Buf
Ott

and wait for it...

Tampa Bay and Miami.

:huh:

The NHL is a joke  :(

Valmy

Here is the...North-Central?

QuoteChicago
Columbus
Dallas
Detroit
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

The fighting Barrister Boys there without one Canadian rival.  At least beat Dallas will you?

And the...East Division?

QuoteCarolina
New Jersey
N.Y. Islanders
N.Y. Rangers
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

Everybody is a bus ride away except for Carolina.  Talk about a neighborhood division.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on December 05, 2011, 09:57:40 PM
and wait for it...

Tampa Bay and Miami.

Yeah why would the Caps get the NY teams and the Habs division get Tampa Bay and Miami?  I guess the idea was to keep NJ, NYR, and NYI together and that was the only way it would work.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

Should have transferred the Penn teams to the current Northeastern division and the Florida teams, Caps and Canes to join the NY teams. Would have made much more sense geographically.

With this system, the NY division teams are ridiculously advantaged. Colorado still gets the shaft.

Stupid NHL, seriously.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on December 06, 2011, 12:30:53 AM
Should have transferred the Penn teams to the current Northeastern division and the Florida teams, Caps and Canes to join the NY teams. Would have made much more sense geographically.

With this system, the NY division teams are ridiculously advantaged. Colorado still gets the shaft.

Stupid NHL, seriously.

Trouble with that is that you get a huge number of really successful franchises (with big fanbases that travel well) in the Northeastern division, and then a bunch of scraps in the other.  The Florida teams absolutely depend on getting big crowds from all the snowbirds coming to their games.

I knew that something like this was coming, but I'm still disappointed.  Nobody in this new 'central' division is going to care that Winnipeg is coming to town, but if we could have been grouped in a new Smythe division we'd have a bunch of natural rivalries with the other Western Canadian teams.

All in all though this is a big win for the simple fact that finally each team plays a home and home against every other team.

Zoupa

Quote from: Barrister on December 06, 2011, 12:39:59 AM

Stupid NHL, seriously.

Trouble with that is that you get a huge number of really successful franchises (with big fanbases that travel well) in the Northeastern division, and then a bunch of scraps in the other.  The Florida teams absolutely depend on getting big crowds from all the snowbirds coming to their games.

I knew that something like this was coming, but I'm still disappointed.  Nobody in this new 'central' division is going to care that Winnipeg is coming to town, but if we could have been grouped in a new Smythe division we'd have a bunch of natural rivalries with the other Western Canadian teams.

All in all though this is a big win for the simple fact that finally each team plays a home and home against every other team.

Then do away with geography altogether and have divisions like the NFL and baseball.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on December 06, 2011, 12:58:00 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 06, 2011, 12:39:59 AM

Stupid NHL, seriously.

Then do away with geography altogether and have divisions like the NFL and baseball.

Trouble is that geography makes a hell of a lot of sense.  NFL and MLB only have their formats because of the quirks of history.  Nobody on earth would design a system like that from scratch.

One thing about this system - it makes moving Phoenix to Quebec City incredibly easy to do. :shifty:

Grey Fox

Fuck Geography.

I love a Northeast div with Florida & Tampa.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

I think that the Penn teams and the New York teams are considered to be each others rivals, so that could be why they did that.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on December 06, 2011, 01:15:15 AM
One thing about this system - it makes moving Phoenix to Quebec City incredibly easy to do. :shifty:
Bettman did say to net get our hopes up.  Yeah, it looks good.  16 on one side, 14 on the other, and oh, a little move would make 15-15...
But let's wait for the official announcement before celebrating.  And then for the first victory... :)