News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2011, 10:26:53 AM
BUt still - I've seen plenty of Canadian hockey games, and did just see the Jets go through MSG and Buffalo, and the fans their still don't compare to Winnipeg.  IMHO.

Well the situation is totally different in Winnipeg.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2011, 10:50:12 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2011, 10:26:53 AM
BUt still - I've seen plenty of Canadian hockey games, and did just see the Jets go through MSG and Buffalo, and the fans their still don't compare to Winnipeg.  IMHO.

Well the situation is totally different in Winnipeg.

What does that matter?

For whatever reason, I think Winnipeg has the loudest fans in the NHL. -_-

I watched a video of Ilya Bryzgalov (former Coyotes goalie, now with the Phillies - who play in Winnipeg tomorrow) apologize to Winnipeg for some of the the things he said about Winnipeg during all the rumours about the Yotes moving last spring.

He seems sincere, but I don't care.  That Winnipeg crowd is going to ride him HARD tomorrow. :menace:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

It's hard to say.  Winnipeg might be the loudest now, but once the postseason rush begins, the Canadian teams really come on strong.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on November 19, 2011, 12:29:10 AM
It's hard to say.  Winnipeg might be the loudest now, but once the postseason rush begins, the Canadian teams really come on strong.

Well thats it - Winnipeg fans sound like its a playoff game every single night.

Who knows who might be loudest in the playoffs - we'll just have to wait for the inevitable Winnipeg White Out to return to find out if Winnipeg fans can kick it up yet another notch. :shifty:

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on November 19, 2011, 05:01:00 PM
The legality behind the Jets logo:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/11/19/jets_logo

Not sure what is news here.  We knew the Jets had to get permission from DND before using that logo, and we know that permission didn't come free of charge - the Jets are giving $1 mil to various military charities over the next ten years.

jimmy olsen

Bruins are on fire lately!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Valmy - Jets vs Capitals, part II is on tonight. :menace:

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2011, 12:27:23 AM
What does that matter?

Um because the new glow has not worn off yet.  If Winnipeg has this reputation and tradition a decade from now I will be impressed but right now there is just euphoria over the team existing.  In normal NHL markets the existance of the franchise is taken for granted.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2011, 09:35:49 AM
Valmy - Jets vs Capitals, part II is on tonight. :menace:

Hopefully they can hold the Jets to only one goal a period and bring their GAA down.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2011, 09:37:25 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2011, 12:27:23 AM
What does that matter?

Um because the new glow has not worn off yet.  If Winnipeg has this reputation and tradition a decade from now I will be impressed but right now there is just euphoria over the team existing.  In normal NHL markets the existance of the franchise is taken for granted.

I dunno man - we're 20 games in and the Crowds don't sound any quieter to me.  If anything, now that they're getting a bit of a reputation, they sound louder.

Apparently in the Philly game they did in fact start their backup Bobrovsky because they knew the crowd would go after Bryzgalov hardcore, and that Bobrovsky would pretty much have had to have a stroke right there on the ice and die before they'd make a goalie switch. :menace:

HVC

20 games ain't nothing. wait 3 seasons. if the fans are still there in numbers then it's  a good sign.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on November 23, 2011, 09:49:08 AM
20 games ain't nothing. wait 3 seasons. if the fans are still there in numbers then it's  a good sign.

If you want to get technical, the place is already sold out for three years, and it isn't until year six that all season tickets have a chance to renew (or not).  But don't forget, even the waiting list is sold out these days.

HVC

sunk cost though. Financially they're set for 3 years, but fans may have the tickets and just not bother to show up.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Grats Valmy - but one point on the road is nothing to be ashamed of for a young Jets team. :)