News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

they always lose the first (and usually the last) leafs game. nothing to get worried about.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Quote from: Drakken on October 06, 2011, 09:16:11 PM
Boy the Habs are gonna suck this season.  :yuk:
How can you be sure?  There are so many games that they aren't even meaningful until after the Superbowl.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PRC

Quote from: viper37 on October 06, 2011, 05:01:07 PM
I should be going to Ottawa on Dec. 10th, a Canucks game, with Canucks fans.  :)

Good stuff, I expect an AAR!

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on October 06, 2011, 09:29:37 PM
How can you be sure?  There are so many games that they aren't even meaningful until after the Superbowl.

The Superbowl? Try March. Any team  that gets into a winning run from March-June can win the whole thing. Which is why I'm no big fan of North American sports and the whole playoff format.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: PRC on October 06, 2011, 09:31:13 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 06, 2011, 05:01:07 PM
I should be going to Ottawa on Dec. 10th, a Canucks game, with Canucks fans.  :)

Good stuff, I expect an AAR!
I will :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on October 07, 2011, 09:15:27 AM
Quote from: Neil on October 06, 2011, 09:29:37 PM

The Superbowl? Try March. Any team  that gets into a winning run from March-June can win the whole thing. Which is why I'm no big fan of North American sports and the whole playoff format.

:huh: :blink:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on October 07, 2011, 09:15:27 AM
the playoffs start in April.  So yeah, any team that gets into a winning run from March-June can win the whole thing since the Stanley cup is won around the half of June...  A team that doesn't get into a winnin run from April is usually eliminated, it's the principle beyond the playoff... :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on October 07, 2011, 10:47:41 AM
the playoffs start in April.  So yeah, any team that gets into a winning run from March-June can win the whole thing since the Stanley cup is won around the half of June...  A team that doesn't get into a winnin run from April is usually eliminated, it's the principle beyond the playoff... :P

Yeah but those European leagues just hand the title to the team with the best record at the end of the season.  But I guess that makes more sense to them with all those extra tournaments their clubs play.

Damn the Caps would actually have some NHL titles.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

It makes limited sense in a regulation format.

Personnally, I hate that titles can decided before the last day of the season/playoff & that other teams are playing at the same time.

I watched the last of the Premiership back in May(I think). Why were there any game between teams that didn't compete for anything? Why did ManU play when it had won the title for 3 games already.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Did anyone catch the party going on in Winnipeg during the pre-game show / intermission?

They had tens of thousands of people out at the Forks with the entertainment being Zombie Randy Bachman.  Of course the crowd went nuts anytime the word "Jets" was mentioned.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I didnt see it but it made our news.  Lots of excitement.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2011, 11:11:13 AM
Did anyone catch the party going on in Winnipeg during the pre-game show / intermission?

They had tens of thousands of people out at the Forks with the entertainment being Zombie Randy Bachman.  Of course the crowd went nuts anytime the word "Jets" was mentioned.

No but I will try to check it out on Sunday.  What time should I tune in?

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 07, 2011, 11:09:51 AM
Why were there any game between teams that didn't compete for anything? Why did ManU play when it had won the title for 3 games already.

Probably the same reason the number 1 seed NHL team has to play a few games even after they have the best record wrapped up.  Or the worst teams get eliminated from playoff contention with 10 games left to play or whatever.

FOR THE GLORY!  Well...ok for the money.