News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

too early in the season. they save their mind boggling losses for later in.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on August 18, 2011, 01:42:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2011, 11:29:50 AM
Well not even you can deny Winnipeg is destined to lose so decisively on November 17th that the continued existance of the franchise might be called into question.
Are you sure?  I mean, if there's a team that knows anything about decisive losses, I would think it would be the Caps.

What?  The Caps are amazing during the regular season.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

We'll see.  The total failure will eventually catch up with them.

Besides, the Caps had twenty years of failure before the recent spell of adequacy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on August 18, 2011, 01:52:24 PM
Besides, the Caps had twenty years of failure before the recent spell of adequacy.

Nonsense they have been Regular Season champs for decades.  You have to be pretty good to choke in the playoffs on an almost annual basis.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

QuoteHockey Night in Canada to make most of 7 Canadian teams
CBC Sports Posted: Aug 18, 2011 2:02 PM ET Last Updated: Aug 18, 2011 2:07 PM ET Read 7 comments7 Recommend this4 The Montreal Canadiens and Vancouver Canucks will be featured prominently on Hockey Night in Canada in the 2011-12 season. (Jonathan Hayward/Canadian Press)
The 59th season of Hockey Night in Canada on CBC shapes up to be the most exciting ever, with the addition of a seventh Canadian franchise in Winnipeg resulting in an abundance of riches for the hockey fan.

There will be 104 regular season clashes presented on HNIC over the course of the 2011-12 regular season, as well as the NHL All-Star Game from Ottawa.

All seven teams will be in action as part of the annual Hockey Day in Canada festivities, on Feb. 11. The celebration wil be hosted from Prince Edward Island.

Canadian teams go head-to-head 29 times on the program. Fans can watch any game they want through the CBCSports.ca website, or if their television subscription incldues CBC channels in other regions.

There will be two pre-season broadcasts featuring the Toronto Maple Leafs, Vancouver Canucks and Edmonton Oilers to whet the appetite before the puck is dropped on the HNIC regular season schedule.

The inaugural Hockey Night in Canada broadcast of the new Winnipeg Jets takes place Sept. 26 against the Ottawa Senators in the Kraft Hockeyville preseason game from St. John's, Newfoundland.

Opening night on Thursday October 6 will include a doubleheader of the Leafs hosting the Montreal Canadiens, followed by Vancouver beginning its quest for another Stanley Cup Final berth against Pittsburgh.

Will Penguins captain Sidney Crosby be in the lineup? It is one of the biggest questions heading into the upcoming season.

The first Saturday regular season broadcast two nights later will see the Calgary Flames make their national season debut on HNIC. The Sens visit the Leafs to set up Calgary's home game against the Penguins.

If that weren't enough for a first week of action, the first regular season broadcast for the Jets takes place on Sunday October 9. Winnipeg hosts the Canadiens in a 4 p.m. CT start.

On Oct. 15 there will be coverage of five games featuring six Canadian teams, including the HNIC season regular debut of the Oilers, who host the Canucks.

The first tripleheader occurs on Oct. 29, with the Oilers and Rangers going at it in a 3 p.m. ET start. The evening games include the resumption of the heated Boston-Montreal rivalry, as well as exciting sniper Steven Stamkos and the Tampa Bay Lightning making a visit to Manitoba.

There is another tripleheader on Nov. 19, where the Winnipeg fans at the MTS Centre that afternoon that afternoon will be able to greet Philadelphia's new goalie Ilya Bryzgalov, who earlier in the year said he didn't warm to the idea of possibly playing in the province.

Should Teemu Selanne return for another season, he will visit his first NHL home on Dec. 17. The Anaheim Ducks pay a visit to Winnipeg on that night.

With New Year's Eve falling on a Saturday, hockey fans will be treated to a doubleheader that ends with Vancouver visiting the new-look Los Angeles Kings.

CBC will once again present the NHL's Winter Classic, which takes place on Jan. 2 at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia. The Flyers host Brad Richards and the New York Rangers in the 1 p.m. ET start.

Ottawa is host city for the 2012 NHL All-Star game, and Hockey Night will have the skills competitions on Jan. 28, and the game itself the following day.

The Habs continue their Super Bowl weekend tradition of matinee games, with dates against Washington and Winnipeg on Feb. 4-5.

The spectacular Hockey Day slate of game on Feb. 11 starts with the Jets in Pittsburgh and Oilers at Senators in the afternoon. The Canadiens visit Toronto, while the Canucks and Flames renew pleasantries at the Saddledome.

A special Thursday night broadcast occurs March 1 from the Bell Centre, with the Canadiens taking on the Minnesota Wild. The Habs also take part in a Friday night HNIC battle on the 16th of that month, facing the Sens in Ottawa.

The season broadcast schedule wraps up on Saturday April 3 with a tripleheader. Ottawa is in New Jersey, while the Leafs and Canadiens and Lightning-Jets are in the 7 p.m. ET slot. The Canucks and Oilers then finish off the night in what could be a critical game for the playoff standings.

As has been the case in the past couple of seasons, Montreal leads all Canadian teams in Hockey Night in Canada appearances, with 28. The Jets are on the program on 22 occasions.

All told, an action-packed season to set up a playoff campaign that will see the Stanley Cup awarded on Hockey Night in Canada.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2011/08/18/spo-hnic-sked-story.html#ixzz1VPUjKOL4

Amazing.  The Jets are on HNIC more than everybody not named Maple Leafs or Canadiens.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2011, 11:05:01 AM
You have a funny notion of what a "sunk cost" is Viper.  The $200 mil hasn't been spent yet. :mellow:

What absolutely offends me about the whole thing, and which you didn't discuss, is the insistence that Quebec needs to pass a law to ensure the business deal can't be challenged in court.  That seems to me to be right out of the Berlusconi model of doing business.

It's also funny that you don't justify spending $200 mil on a new arena by itself - instead you only argue that you deserve it more than Montreal.  The better question is why spend that kind of money at all.

By the way - the entirety of the MTS Centre cost less than $200mil.

The law to stop court challenge isn't because of the 200 mil from Quebec, it's because the contract was given to Quebecor breaks a couple of rules & is at best dubious. My opinion is of course, build the damn arena. No matter who pays for it in the end.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2011, 02:25:47 PM
Amazing.  The Jets are on HNIC more than everybody not named Maple Leafs or Canadiens.

Why is that amazing?  People like novelty.

Grey Fox

QuoteHockey Night in Canada to make most of 7 Canadian teams
As has been the case in the past couple of seasons, Montreal leads all Canadian teams in Hockey Night in Canada appearances, with 28. The Jets are on the program on 22 occasions.

All told, an action-packed season to set up a playoff campaign that will see the Stanley Cup awarded on Hockey Night in Canada.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2011/08/18/spo-hnic-sked-story.html#ixzz1VPUjKOL4

I wonder if the fact that the Habs are on HNIC so much is because Molson insists that the Habs play on as many Saturday that it is possible.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 18, 2011, 03:46:42 PM
You have a funny notion of what a "sunk cost" is Viper.  The $200 mil hasn't been spent yet. :mellow:

What absolutely offends me about the whole thing, and which you didn't discuss, is the insistence that Quebec needs to pass a law to ensure the business deal can't be challenged in court.  That seems to me to be right out of the Berlusconi model of doing business.

It's also funny that you don't justify spending $200 mil on a new arena by itself - instead you only argue that you deserve it more than Montreal.  The better question is why spend that kind of money at all.

The law to stop court challenge isn't because of the 200 mil from Quebec, it's because the contract was given to Quebecor breaks a couple of rules & is at best dubious. My opinion is of course, build the damn arena. No matter who pays for it in the end.

*YOU* pay for it then.

They'll take cash or money order.  Get on it - I want to see the Nordiques back ASAP.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 18, 2011, 03:52:10 PM
I wonder if the fact that the Habs are on HNIC so much is because Molson insists that the Habs play on as many Saturday that it is possible.
That and Montreal is the best and most popular Canadian team.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2011, 04:12:57 PM

*YOU* pay for it then.

They'll take cash or money order.  Get on it - I want to see the Nordiques back ASAP.

Will you help me?

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 18, 2011, 06:40:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2011, 04:12:57 PM

*YOU* pay for it then.

Will you help me?

No.  I gotta save up for plane tickets to Winnipeg during the witner.   :cool:

Anyways - anyone have NHL Centre Ice?  How is it?  I know I'm not the kind of guy who is going to sit down and actually watch 82 Jets games during a season, but it'd be nice to have that option to watch them...

Ed Anger

QuoteThe Winnipeg Jets' Sweaters Won't be on the Disc When NHL 12 Ships

The sale and transfer of Atlanta's NHL franchise to Winnipeg means 'Peggers beloved Jets are returning to the ice this year. But if you're expecting a sneak preview at what their new sweaters will look like, you won't find it in NHL 12.

Zack Cooper of Canada's Sportsnet Radio reported from Microsoft's X11 Canada Showcase that EA Sports doesn't expect Winnipeg's new threads to ship with the game. That will have to wait until its first roster update. A date for that was not specified, though it's possible one could arrive day-of-release, depending on when the team trots out its new look.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

EA just lost a sale in Edmonton.