News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

I like the colors, they're very winter-appropriate.  Good for a hockey team.

Alas, they're not the old-school Jets unis, but it could've been worse.  Could've turned out like Arizona's.  Bleech.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2011, 04:28:17 PM
I like the colors, they're very winter-appropriate.  Good for a hockey team.

Alas, they're not the old-school Jets unis, but it could've been worse.  Could've turned out like Arizona's.  Bleech.

I love the old-school Jets, but even back then I didn't think the logo or uniform was very good.

But I think this logo at least is great.  And I love the inspiration they took from it.  The name Jets originally had no real meaning - the original owner Benny Haskin was a NY Jets fan.  And the various logos over the years all felt quite clunky, with a bunch of different elements just thrown in.  The last logo for example spelled out the words "Winnipeg" and "Jets", had an outline of some generic jetliner, and had a hockey stick in it.  Way too busy.

This logo however - they explicitly said it was an homage to the RCAF and Winnipeg's military aviation history.  And it doesn't have a single word on it.

The "Jets" wordmark isn't the logo, and as far as I can tell won't appear on any jersey.  I think it's for letterhead and the like.  As such I think it's fine.

As I mentioned, I was in Winnipeg when it was announced.  I raced over to the arena the next day and bought myself a sweet looking shirt - light powder blue with just the logo on it.  Alas they had no hats, and no child sizes.  All sold out, and they're telling me to "come back on Monday" didn't help me out.

But for this week I can guarantee I'm the only one rocking a Winnipeg Jets t-shirt in the Yukon (yes, I'm in the Yukon for a week - long story).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on July 25, 2011, 01:17:45 AM
The name Jets originally had no real meaning - the original owner Benny Haskin was a NY Jets fan. 

Don'r worry;  since 1968, it's had no real meaning for the NY Jets either.

CountDeMoney

This logo however - they explicitly said it was an homage to the RCAF and Winnipeg's military aviation history.  And it doesn't have a single word on it.

Thing is, that's an F-16, not an F-18.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 25, 2011, 04:19:55 AM

Thing is, that's an F-16, not an F-18.

Take a look at the wing's angle of attack.  The F-16 has a much sharper angle, while the logo jet has the same shallower angle as the F-18.  Also look at the tail fins.  The F-16 is squared off at the end, while the logo jet and the F-18 are angled.

Now it is stylized, so it's obviously not a perfect representation, but it's a lot closer to a F-18 than an F-16.

I've been reading - the Winnipeg Jets worked with Air Command, and had to get DND to sign off on the proposed design.  Do you think Air Command would let them get away with using the wrong jet?

(interestingly, they also had to get permission from the Toronto Maple Leafs.  According to Chipman permission was granted quite quickly from both organizations)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zoupa

There might be something pathological here. Fanboism only goes so far.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on July 25, 2011, 12:22:22 PM
There might be something pathological here. Fanboism only goes so far.

Says the Habs Fanboi.  :rolleyes:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

October 9th.  Montreal at Winnipeg.  Jets Home Opener.  :menace:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on July 25, 2011, 12:56:09 PM

You might win. The Thrashers used to always be a thorn in the Habs side.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 25, 2011, 01:29:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 25, 2011, 12:56:09 PM

You might win. The Thrashers used to always be a thorn in the Habs side.

I'm thinking that with the emotion and energy being completely off the charts that day the Jets are almost a lock to win.

Now, every other meeting between the two... :unsure:

I'm curious to see how the team does.  They did play well last year, only to fade down the stretch.  They have kept almost all of the team intact, but have a new coach and in a new location.  It could go either way - with another year under their belts the team does even better, or they crumble under the accumulated pressure they never had to deal with before.

Barrister

Okay, so yesterday I finish up court early in Mayo, Yukon, so I decide to drive the extra hour to go visit Keno, yukon (and old, almost dead mining town with 25 people still living there).  Keno is about 5 hours away from Whitehorse.

I pull up to the only business in town, the "Snack Shop" which people tell me sells good pizza, when I see a huge crowd (for Keno) of about a dozen people in front.  It turns out the new Premier of Yukon is doing a tour.  So I walk up to this group wearing my new Winnipeg Jets shirt.  Premier Paslowski immediately spots that shirt and starts asking me about it, where I got it.  He motions a few other people over to take a good look at the new logo.  He then reminisces with me that he was born in Winnipeg.

Jets fans - they're everywhere.   :cool: