And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2011, 09:14:47 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on June 29, 2011, 02:13:40 AM
You're getting really fucking annoying about your damn Jets, man.

Just imagine how annoying I can be once they actually play a game! :lol:

But my point still stands - how can you imagine that fans booing was the story of the draft, given what happened with the Jets?

Because we don't care about the Jets more then we care about the Habs & how Americans are a bunch of retard. That said, I was expecting some mention of it in the media but I haven't see any.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on June 28, 2011, 11:48:41 PM
Story of the draft here: Mtl GM Pierre Gauthier drowned out by boos and chants of USA!USA!USA! when he announced his pick in French.

Stay classy America!

I liked when Boston beat Vancouver all the Boston fans started chanting 'USA!  USA!  USA!' for this great nationalist victory...of course only four players on the Bruins are actually Americans....six Americans play for the Canucks.

Of course having said that at least our fans have some sort of national identity and have the decency as sports fans to shit on their northern rivals.  Canadian fans, at least here, would gladly American based clubs win the cup for the next 100 years than to see one of their rival Canadian based clubs win it because they hate other Canadians far more than they hate Americans.  I hope us being crass jerks to you guys at the draft will at least get your priorities straight :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

What amused me during the draft was when Bettman got up to introduce Mark Chipman (new Jets owner) the fans started to boo him, but then it turned into a chant of "Gary! Gary!" from all the fans who made the trip from Winnipeg. :D

It would amuse me if the only arena in the NHL Gary Bettman doesn't get booed at would be Winnipeg.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2011, 09:23:58 AM
What amused me during the draft was when Bettman got up to introduce Mark Chipman (new Jets owner) the fans started to boo him, but then it turned into a chant of "Gary! Gary!" from all the fans who made the trip from Winnipeg. :D

It would amuse me if the only arena in the NHL Gary Bettman doesn't get booed at would be Winnipeg.

How is that possible?  Bettman probably delayed you getting a club by at least a year through him pouring good money after bad in Phoenix.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2011, 09:28:39 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2011, 09:23:58 AM

How is that possible?  Bettman probably delayed you getting a club by at least a year through him pouring good money after bad in Phoenix.

At the end of the day, we wouldn't have gotten a team at all if Bettman didn't sign off on it.  I for one am now a Gary Bettman fan.  Hell - other than screwing Winnipeg (and Quebec, and Hartford) back in the day, I can't really argue with much that he has done as commissioner - it's just he's so damn annoying to listen to him talk.

Valmy

But...I miss the Norris Division  :(

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2011, 10:00:19 AM
But...I miss the Norris Division  :(

:rolleyes:

Smythe Division was where it was at.

However... some of the latest sctullebut was that the NHL will move to 4 divisions of 7 or 8 teams next year.  Maybe, just maybe, they'll return to the old division names.   :cool:

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2011, 10:03:44 AM
However... some of the latest sctullebut was that the NHL will move to 4 divisions of 7 or 8 teams next year.  Maybe, just maybe, they'll return to the old division names.   :cool:

Very doubtful.  Only real Hockey fans even know about the old names and the NHL doesn't care about us.

Grey Fox

I wish the NHL would do away with geographical base conferences & start doing it like the NFL.

It would fix some of the issues atleast.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 29, 2011, 10:07:46 AM
I wish the NHL would do away with geographical base conferences & start doing it like the NFL.

:huh:  The NFL has geographically-based conferences.

All I know is that having the Jets in the Southeastern conference sucks.  Put teams in divisions where they play other enarby teams please.  :)

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2011, 09:14:47 AMBut my point still stands - how can you imagine that fans booing was the story of the draft, given what happened with the Jets?

He's not imagining anything. In Quebec that was the story of the draft. They care more about language issues and insults to their team than they do about some prairie team.

How can you imagine that the Jets being named the Jets is the story of the draft anywhere where they have their own team involved?

Barrister

Avatar changed to Dustin Byfuglien, defenceman with the Winnipeg Jets.   :cool:

No need to go retro any more.   :cool:

Though I probably will again at some point - you can never have to much Bobby Hull or Dale Hawerchuk.  But it'll be by choice, not necessity.   :cool:

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on June 29, 2011, 10:14:03 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2011, 09:14:47 AMBut my point still stands - how can you imagine that fans booing was the story of the draft, given what happened with the Jets?

He's not imagining anything. In Quebec that was the story of the draft. They care more about language issues and insults to their team than they do about some prairie team.

How can you imagine that the Jets being named the Jets is the story of the draft anywhere where they have their own team involved?

Hey man - I understand where you're coming from.  After all I live in "Oil Country" :rolleyes:, not Winnipeg.

Oilers fans were discussing the #1 pick first and foremost.  But they realized that was a purely local story.  I'm sure if you asked an Oilers fan whan the biggest story from the weekend for the entire league, it'd be Jets.   :cool:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2011, 10:09:17 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 29, 2011, 10:07:46 AM

:huh:  The NFL has geographically-based conferences.

All I know is that having the Jets in the Southeastern conference sucks.  Put teams in divisions where they play other enarby teams please.  :)

No, it has a geographically-based divisions. I'm pretty sure the AFC & NFC both have teams on the west coast.

Ed Anger

When did Buff become a defenseman? I thought he was a winger.

Edit: i looked it up. he plays both.  :Embarrass:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive