And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 21, 2011, 06:41:17 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 21, 2011, 06:35:56 PM
And the Board of Governors also officially approved both the sale and the relocation to Winnipeg today.

Justice will not be done until they are officially named the 'Winnipeg Jets'.

You need not worry, Valmy.

The name will be:

WINNIPEG JETS!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369842
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on June 24, 2011, 03:26:43 PM
No surprise.

It's a surprise.

If they were going to go with Jets they would have said so when the move was announced.  They would have had a logo and jersey all ready to go.

I think it will come out that they chanegd their minds due to overwhelming fan support for "Jets".

Zoupa

Oh. My. God!!!!!!

*yawn*

Barrister

So I'm gone for the weekend, and nobody talks about the draft?  :(

Of course the highlight was the 7th pick.  No, seriously.  Not only does Winnipeg make their pick, but Mark Chipman just slips in that the pick is being made by "the Winnipeg Jets" - thus for the first time officially announcing the team name.  Oh, and Claude Noel was also announced as our head coach.

Apparently the pick for Winnipeg was assessed as a bit of a reach - Scheifele was projected anywhere from 12-16.  Supposedly the big selling point for Winnipeg was a strong endorsement from Scheifele's Junior head coach.  That head coach?  Why no other than the Winnipeg Jets (v 1.0) biggest superstar, Mr. Dale Hawerchuk. :punk:

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2011, 05:11:17 PM
So I'm gone for the weekend, and nobody talks about the draft?  :(

I was in Colorado for a wedding.

Congrats on your franchise doing the right thing!

Nothing really exciting in the Caps draft.  They took alot of long term prospects.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

The NHL draft just isn't as big a deal, since a lot of these guys are going to be spending some time in the minors.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2011, 05:29:00 PM
The NHL draft just isn't as big a deal, since a lot of these guys are going to be spending some time in the minors.

No, that's fair.  While the NFL mandates drafting guys after college, who are then physically mature enough to play, in the NHL only a gifted few can play as 18 year olds.

Which is why the #7 pick, which announced the Return of the Jets, was the biggest news of the draft. -_-  I heard the pick over the radio (we went camping this weekend) and you could tell the crowd just went bonkers - of course with Winnipeg so close to Twin Cities, there was a huge Winnipeg contingent there...

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2011, 03:31:48 PM
Quote from: Josephus on June 24, 2011, 03:26:43 PM
No surprise.

It's a surprise.

If they were going to go with Jets they would have said so when the move was announced.  They would have had a logo and jersey all ready to go.

I think it will come out that they chanegd their minds due to overwhelming fan support for "Jets".

Let's just say, then, for the sake of argument, which you lawyers can't seem to get enough of, that it's no surprise to me.  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2011, 05:37:58 PM
No, that's fair.  While the NFL mandates drafting guys after college, who are then physically mature enough to play, in the NHL only a gifted few can play as 18 year olds.

Which is why the #7 pick, which announced the Return of the Jets, was the biggest news of the draft. -_-  I heard the pick over the radio (we went camping this weekend) and you could tell the crowd just went bonkers - of course with Winnipeg so close to Twin Cities, there was a huge Winnipeg contingent there...
And most of those players who are gifted enough couldn't get into college anyways, since they dropped out of high school when they were 16.

I watched the draft just to hear them say 'Winnipeg Jets'.  My wife was not impressed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2011, 06:01:35 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2011, 05:37:58 PM

And most of those players who are gifted enough couldn't get into college anyways, since they dropped out of high school when they were 16.

I watched the draft just to hear them say 'Winnipeg Jets'.  My wife was not impressed.

:hug: :yeah:

Since we were going camping, I was able to convince the wife we needed to hear 630 CHED for the weather reports.  Even though they were doing solid live draft coverage. :ph34r:

Neil

Yeah, the draft was big news in Edmonton, but the Jets angle was the best part of it.  Edmonton didn't draft a top defenceman, and so they'll probably fail, although I fear that Calgary will be even worse.

After the realignment, Winnipeg might be the best respectable Canadian team in the division.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2011, 06:40:16 PM
Yeah, the draft was big news in Edmonton, but the Jets angle was the best part of it.  Edmonton didn't draft a top defenceman, and so they'll probably fail, although I fear that Calgary will be even worse.

After the realignment, Winnipeg might be the best respectable Canadian team in the division.

I gotta admit, as a guy with a closet with Flames jerseys buried in the back, I don't quite know what the hell they are doing these days.  It could be some grim days in the C of Red.

But I gotta say - the Canucks aren't going anywhere for a little while.  Even when a reborn Smythe division comes to life, I don't see the Jets on top of it.

Wow - I can say the Jets without having to put any wiggle words.

I love life.   :)

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2011, 06:11:36 PM

:hug: :yeah:

Since we were going camping, I was able to convince the wife we needed to hear 630 CHED for the weather reports.  Even though they were doing solid live draft coverage. :ph34r:

Just curious because I do a lot of backcountry hiking and camping, what area did you visit?  Always on the lookout for some new vistas and i've tracked Kananaskis and Southern Alberta out over the past few years.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2011, 06:47:02 PM
I gotta admit, as a guy with a closet with Flames jerseys buried in the back, I don't quite know what the hell they are doing these days.  It could be some grim days in the C of Red.
Well, they seem to love Jokinen for some reason, and a lot of their heart guys are moving along.  I hope for Iginla's sake that he gets traded somewhere decent when the time comes.  Sutter might have been a good coach, but he's GMed the team into the ground.
QuoteBut I gotta say - the Canucks aren't going anywhere for a little while.  Even when a reborn Smythe division comes to life, I don't see the Jets on top of it.
But the Canucks aren't respectable.