News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 16, 2011, 09:49:32 AM
The media is also reporting that there was massive looting except for a large bookstore - nothing was taken from there...

LOL. Ironic and funny.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2011, 09:54:40 AM
Quote from: Drakken on June 16, 2011, 09:53:59 AM
It's just a sore loser's riot. It's not like people were killed in the streets.  :wacko:

Meh they would have rioted if the Canucks had won also.

For sure. There were people there just to riot. It happens everywhere all the time. Most of the "rioters" didn't give a rat's ass about the game.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Yeah, from what I heard this morning a significant number of the rioters were black clad and wearing hoods or masks and so on. So really, it has probably less to do with the sports fans from the suburbs and more to do with G20/ WTO style agitators and pseudo-anarchists.

The Blenz cafe (local, not very good Starbucks analogue) in my wife's building was completely razed. All the windows on the ground floor were smashed as well.

No unbroken windows at the Bay (a department store), at least on ground level either.

Bunch of fucking idiots.

crazy canuck

I can see the Bookstore windows that had been smashed in from my office and a number of store fronts aound my building have windows boarded up.  As I walked toward my building I saw some police arresting a number of young men - probably guys who were updating their facebook pages to explain in detail what they had done last night....

BuddhaRhubarb

The riot is a much bigger letdown than the loss. Boo to all the tools invoved, I hope you know you are on video/etc... and I hope you are caught and publicly flogged.
:p

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on June 16, 2011, 07:47:51 AM

Brock Anton is unemployable.

Good. I hope as many of those idiots get what they deserve.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 16, 2011, 09:49:32 AMCan't tell you how sickened I feel.  The city thought they could have over a 100,000 crammed into the downtown core because we did it during the Olympics without incident.  But during the Olympics the crowd was different.  Mainly families coming downtown to soak in the moment.  Last night was mainly drunken 20 somethings.  What could possibly go wrong?

Yeah, it's sickening.

Jacob

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 16, 2011, 11:17:31 AM
The riot is a much bigger letdown than the loss. Boo to all the tools invoved, I hope you know you are on video/etc... and I hope you are caught and publicly flogged.

Yeah, my sentiment exactly.

Grey Fox

Why?

It's just a riot. It happens quite often around the world it seems.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

The most sickening thing is that the rioters weren't machinegunned.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on June 16, 2011, 11:12:41 AM
So really, it has probably less to do with the sports fans from the suburbs and more to do with G20/ WTO style agitators and pseudo-anarchists.

There seems to be lots of those guys in that part of the world.  The Pacific Northwest must be a very oppressive place to churn up so much rage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2011, 11:32:47 AM
Quote from: Jacob on June 16, 2011, 11:12:41 AM
So really, it has probably less to do with the sports fans from the suburbs and more to do with G20/ WTO style agitators and pseudo-anarchists.
There seems to be lots of those guys in that part of the world.  The Pacific Northwest must be a very oppressive place to churn up so much rage.
Exactly the opposite.  These are people who have never experienced any real problems or suffering, but still need to feel like victims.  The problem is, they live in one of the best places in the world to live, other than Alberta.  Thus, they rage against 'The Man'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on June 16, 2011, 11:31:31 AM

the Cops should have come in sooner though. I have no idea why they thought it would be an "Olympics" crowd. Though it shouldn't have happened at all. Shameful is the word that has been buzzing my brain all night/morning.
:p

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 16, 2011, 11:35:40 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 16, 2011, 11:31:31 AM
the Cops should have come in sooner though. I have no idea why they thought it would be an "Olympics" crowd. Though it shouldn't have happened at all. Shameful is the word that has been buzzing my brain all night/morning.
If they had, they'd be condemned for jumping the gun and escalating the situation.

Still, it seems clear that mistakes were made in the planning and pre-game phase of the battle.  It's not like anybody really thought that Vancouver wouldn't burn, at least nobody realistic.