And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 14, 2011, 11:17:25 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 13, 2011, 09:38:59 PM
Well, this game is out of reach.  Expect the Canucks to start gooning it up.

Given how Boston has played this series and this game in particular your post is more untethered to reality than usual.
both teams have been playing less then "gentleman like", but Vancouver is flopping more, which hurts then in the penatly department. if the ref thinks you're acting then calls aren't gonna go your way.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on June 14, 2011, 11:41:35 AM
both teams have been playing less then "gentleman like", but Vancouver is flopping more, which hurts then in the penatly department. if the ref thinks you're acting then calls aren't gonna go your way.

Kind of hard to pretend you have been driven into the board in a vulnerable position and then pretend your vertebrae has been fractured; that you are being punched in the face repeatedly with the ref looking right at you; that you are being crosschecked repeatedly with the ref looking right at you; that you are being repeatedly slashed, hooked, held with the ref looking right at you.

As I said ealier this series has gone a long way to lose me as a fan.  I can see why it is considered bush league in most of the US.

HVC

You feel that way because it's your team :lol:. as a relativiely dispassionate observer i don't think this series hasn't been that bad.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on June 14, 2011, 11:48:12 AM
You feel that way because it's your team :lol:. as a relativiely dispassionate observer i don't think this series hasn't been that bad.

If you go back to my original post you will see I said the refs were missing obvious calls both ways.   Its just that last night was more one sided than usual.

I am not much of a hockey fan so I am about as close to a dispassionate observer as you are going to get.  I am however knowledgeable enough about the game to know that the refs change how they call in the playoffs.  For some reason the league thinks this is a good thing.  Imo it makes the league look bush.

I suppose you have to be a real hockey fan to appreciate all the crosschecking, slashing etc etc that goes on in the playoffs. ;)

Grey Fox

For all the cry of the Habs being a bunch of divers. Neither the Bruins or the Canucks have anything on them.

It's not Soccer, get up.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 14, 2011, 12:05:31 PM
I am not much of a hockey fan so I am about as close to a dispassionate observer as you are going to get.
You are, however, a Vancouverite.  I know full well how easy it is to get caught up in a championship drive in your home city, even if you normally don't care much about the team.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on June 14, 2011, 12:22:06 PM
I am not much of a hockey fan so I am about as close to a dispassionate observer as you are going to get.
You are, however, a Vancouverite.  I know full well how easy it is to get caught up in a championship drive in your home city, even if you normally don't care much about the team.

I probably would have if the series had not been played with all the cheap shots.  But this series has  reminded me about all the things I dislike about hockey.  I normally would not watch at all so I suppose you have a point that I am actually watching the games.  The problem the NHL has is that there will likely be a lot of people like me who rarely watch hockey but are now tuning and this is what they are seeing.

The Vancouver market wont suffer because I am definitely in the minority in this hockey crazy city but what about all the markets where the NHL is weak?

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 14, 2011, 11:46:14 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 14, 2011, 11:41:35 AM

Kind of hard to pretend you have been driven into the board in a vulnerable position and then pretend your vertebrae has been fractured; that you are being punched in the face repeatedly with the ref looking right at you; that you are being crosschecked repeatedly with the ref looking right at you; that you are being repeatedly slashed, hooked, held with the ref looking right at you.

As I said ealier this series has gone a long way to lose me as a fan.  I can see why it is considered bush league in most of the US.

You've never seen Fight Club, have you? ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

BuddhaRhubarb

I'm with CC on all the diving, and cross checking. On BOTH teams (and all the other teams in the playoffs for that matter) this year it seems far worse than I've ever noticed before. I spent the whole season standing up to people who talked shit about the Canucks, but they've let me down a little by stooping to this kind of thing, not that they had much choice it seems, but nonetheless, it's made me less of a hockey fan in general at the end of a season where I had become more of a fan than in recent years (since the 80's really)

in 94 I only watched that final game on tv, the rest of the playoffs i was out carousing in bars or going to the movies. since then I've been fairly casual in my fandom. This season being the first time i've used the royal "we" taliing about my team. Hadn't consciously done that since the days of Ducky, Selanne, etc. in Winterpeg.

Now I still want the Canucks to win, but I care less about the sport again, really.
:p

Barrister

Remember how after the lockout one of the big reforms was that the refs were going to start calling the playoffs just like the regular season? :lol:

I'm also turned off by the non-stop hacking and slashing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 14, 2011, 01:03:39 PM
Remember how after the lockout one of the big reforms was that the refs were going to start calling the playoffs just like the regular season? :lol:
Oh, they did it.  For the 1st evening.

Not many people of the Don Cherry school here.

Still, if there was a penalty with 1:55 left of the 3rd period when the score is 2-2, I'm pretty sure people would bitch about it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

I suppose you have to be a real hockey fan to appreciate all the crosschecking, slashing etc etc that goes on in the playoffs. ;)
now now, no need to play the wounded arguer :P .But that basically happens every playoffs. this one is no better or worse then the past. Now your  arguement is that that makes the playoffs and the league look bad. I don't necessarily agree, but it can get annoying at times, yes.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 14, 2011, 01:33:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 14, 2011, 01:03:39 PM
Oh, they did it.  For the 1st evening.

Not many people of the Don Cherry school here.

Still, if there was a penalty with 1:55 left of the 3rd period when the score is 2-2, I'm pretty sure people would bitch about it.

Do you really think I'm going to complain about faithfully following the rules regardless of the circumstances?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on June 14, 2011, 01:49:39 PM
But that basically happens every playoffs. this one is no better or worse then the past. Now your  arguement is that that makes the playoffs and the league look bad. I don't necessarily agree, but it can get annoying at times, yes.

This is the first time I have really paid any attention to the Final since 94 so I will take your word on the state of the game.  I can tell you from my perspective as a casual viewer it most certainly makes the league look bad.