News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on June 09, 2011, 07:03:34 AM
Hah. Harper took a military jet to get himself, his daughter and a minister down to Boston to watch game 4. Yay austerity measures

As PM, Harper is forbidden from flying commercial flights.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Hah. Harper took a military jet to get himself, his daughter and a minister down to Boston to watch game 4. Yay austerity measures
He's paying for it out of his own money, though.  Something the previous governments did not do.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on June 09, 2011, 09:11:21 AM

ya, i know. i wasn't being serious. he'll reimburse the cost of a commerical flight, which is less then it really cost though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on June 09, 2011, 10:38:08 AM

ya, i know. i wasn't being serious. he'll reimburse the cost of a commerical flight, which is less then it really cost though.

You can't joke about Harper on this forum. Haven't you learned anything yet,HVC?

;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on June 09, 2011, 10:46:58 AM

You can't joke about Harper on this forum. Haven't you learned anything yet, PVC?

;)
i voted for him, i hoped that would give me leeway :( :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Quote from: HVC on June 09, 2011, 10:54:24 AM
Quote from: Josephus on June 09, 2011, 10:46:58 AM
You can't joke about Harper on this forum. Haven't you learned anything yet, PVC?

;)
i voted for him, i hoped that would give me leeway :( :D
It does not.  The left is in a post-election frenzy, and if left to their own devices will take over the narrative.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on June 07, 2011, 11:49:38 AM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 07, 2011, 11:41:43 AM
I really do not understand how anyone can actually hate a sports team or a city. to be honest about it. I don't have the energy to be a hockey lover, and a hockey hater. I dislike certain players, teams I guess, but when they play well I always give them props.
It's extremely easy to hate, and it just takes a little thing to get started.  All it took for Vancouver was the shittiness of the fans and the mistreatment of their goalie.  Besides, when Vancouver was spending fifteen years mired in failure, hating them was a source of pleasure, not an effort.  Laughing at someone being punished for their misdeeds (or the misdeeds of their douchey fanbase) is very relaxing.  And there's always Toronto, which is almost as sweet.

No, it's much less rewarding (but occasionally necessary), to hate a team that succeeds with regularity, like the Pittsburgh Steelers or the New England Patriots.

well the last two games, I also have been ashamed of the players. On both teams. all the douchebag chest thumping and lame chops and hacks to the legs etc for this HOCKEY fan makes me want to give the cup to some team who didn't even make the playoffs. A bunch of millionaire professional athletes really need to resort to that kind of disrespect for each other as athletes.? really? Maybe I'll start watching soccer. Oh wait that sport is also full of diving and is dull as paint drying to watch.

sigh. win or lose I'm embarrassed that the team I put so much stock in is playing the gutter game that Boston has always thrived on. That said Thomas is teh awesome. I don't mind if Boston comes back to wn on his play as long as both teams actually start playing hockey. Personally I think anyone who thinks that either team with a few single player exceptions (Hansen on the canucks. Thomas on the Bruins for example) is actually playing entertaining hockey doesn't know anything about hockey.

I don't care about the drubbings. Sometimes one team dominates another, it happens. It is however still a seven game series, and could become fun to watch again.  I would have been fine with how the Canucks played in the first two games. even if the results had been Boston wins (which they easily could have been, because those were good hockey games. Exciting even, the last two not so much.)

Why exactly are the fans shitty exactly? All the fans I know I pretty reasonable people, who occasionally get wound up over bad reffing or bad play from their team. This is called passion. maybe you've heard of it. I think I said this already at least once in this thread. Vancouver fans are no different than fans elsewhere. If the team goes deep into the playoffs there are bandwagoneers of course. Should they be discouraged from becoming fans by some stupid dismissal of their interest being peaked?

Sorry we have already met our quota of "real fans" we aren't accepting any new fans at this time, please remove your 360 dollar jersey. :blink:

And I do realize that you and others enjoy winding up Van fans. Would you like to know why I'm a Vancouver Fan? I live here (and have for quite some time.) when I was living in Winnipeg I was a Jets fan, when I was a kid in NB you had two choices (in my family) you could be a Leafs Fan or not watch hockey... I was a Leafs fan (Keon to Sittler era) but I was also a Bobby Orr fan in the biggest way. So i have a soft spot for Beantown. Does this make me a bad Canucks fan? No. it makes me a hockey fan.

I haven't heard one fan (and I talk to people all day as they come into work and jabber hockey & movies) be anything other than reasonable about the two Boston wins. The Canucks played badly (except in the first periods for some reason) , and more importantly the Bruins did not play as bad as the Canucks.
:p

Jacob

Buddha, Neil is basing his opinions on what people post on the internet and his own imagination, not on what fans in Vancouver actually say and do.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Jacob on June 09, 2011, 12:20:24 PM
Buddha, Neil is basing his opinions on what people post on the internet and his own imagination, not on what fans in Vancouver actually say and do.

But he's not alone, I hear this a lot from people back east (which btw I consider Neil to be... anyone East of Kelowna is back east "p)
:p

Ed Anger

Speaking of the Sedins, I heard one of them talk. Dude comes right out of Kraut central casting with that accent.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Those two games have really turned me off hockey.  Can anyone explain why slashing and crosschecking are penalized in the regular season but not in the playoffs.  Does the league really want to go back to the days when the team with the biggest goons often won the game?

Jacob

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 09, 2011, 12:23:13 PMBut he's not alone, I hear this a lot from people back east (which btw I consider Neil to be... anyone East of Kelowna is back east "p)

Hating successful and near-successful teams that aren't your own is part and parcel of the sports fan experience.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 09, 2011, 01:03:01 PM
Those two games have really turned me off hockey.  Can anyone explain why slashing and crosschecking are penalized in the regular season but not in the playoffs.  Does the league really want to go back to the days when the team with the biggest goons often won the game?

Word.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 09, 2011, 01:03:01 PM

Why not?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."