News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2011, 10:41:34 AM
We'll see.  It's all messed up since for 2011-2012 we're playing a lot of games against Tampa, Florida, Carolina and Washington by being part of the southeastern conference.   :wacko:

The Caps can be their rival BB :menace:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

B: what happens when Winnipeg visits other Canadian cities?  Are other Canadians excited about us getting a team and will we be cheered loudly, or does it immediately become business as usual?
They won't visit Quebec city anytime soon ;) , but if I were to go to the Bell Center in Montreal, you can bet I would cheer for the Jets ;)

I never had any particular love or hate for the Jets back in the days.  It seemed to me the Nordiques always played against Boston, Montreal or Hartford during playoffs, so these are natural ennemies, except when they were playing the Canadians.

Since I don't have a club of my own anymore, I am not a good representative of the traditional hockey fan.  But, heck, I might just adopt the Jets until the Nordiques get back :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Drakken

Quote from: viper37 on June 06, 2011, 10:59:38 AM
I never had any particular love or hate for the Jets back in the days.  It seemed to me the Nordiques always played against Boston, Montreal or Hartford during playoffs, so these are natural ennemies, except when they were playing the Canadians.

Ah, the good Adams Division times.  :blush:

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2011, 10:49:24 AM
We'll see.  It's all messed up since for 2011-2012 we're playing a lot of games against Tampa, Florida, Carolina and Washington by being part of the southeastern conference.   :wacko:

The Caps can be their rival BB :menace:

You and I might be the only ones out there looking forward to a Jets-Caps game. :menace:

Well not quite - the Caps will be a good draw in Winnipeg.  It's the Canes, Panthers and Lightning that'll be a tough sell.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2011, 11:27:34 AM
You and I might be the only ones out there looking forward to a Jets-Caps game. :menace:

We should get a good idea when that will be when the schedule gets released in the next couple weeks.  At least I usually see the schedule in early July sometime.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2011, 11:42:02 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2011, 11:27:34 AM

We should get a good idea when that will be when the schedule gets released in the next couple weeks.  At least I usually see the schedule in early July sometime.

We're in the same conference, there will be, what, 4? 6? such matchups.   :wacko:

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2011, 11:43:17 AM
We're in the same conference, there will be, what, 4? 6? such matchups.   :wacko:

Same division so three in the frozen north and three in Obamaville.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on June 06, 2011, 09:59:52 AM
It's a lot more interesting than the rumours discussion, that's for sure. Looking forward to seeing the Peg play.

Who are the early favourites to being the rival team(s)? I.e. Which teams will the fans hate and savour victories against the most?

I imagine the Canucks, as a reaction to their current success, but will that last? How about the other (and closer) Prairie teams?

We'll see.  It's all messed up since for 2011-2012 we're playing a lot of games against Tampa, Florida, Carolina and Washington by being part of the southeastern conference.   :wacko:

But all of our natural rivals are out west.  Historically some of our biggest rivals were the Oilers (in the 80s we had some damn good teams - but then we'd meet Gretzky and the Oilers in the 1st or 2nd round and get slaughtered), Minnesota, then perhaps Chicago and Detroit.  Detroit in particular defeated the Jets in their last few playoff appearances.  Minnesota is the closest NHL franchise to Winnipeg, so there is a natural rivalry there.

I don't think we have a rivalry like Calgary-Edmonton, or Toronto-Montreal, but we'll do okay.

I'm curious too see:

A: what happens when a popular original Six team or other Canadian team comes to Winnipeg?  Back in the day the Habs were practically the home team in Winnipeg, and now we've had a 15 year gap.  Will people stick with their old allegiances, or switch back to the Jets?

B: what happens when Winnipeg visits other Canadian cities?  Are other Canadians excited about us getting a team and will we be cheered loudly, or does it immediately become business as usual?

I sure am happy about not having to watch 2 games being played in Atlanta. I can tell you that.

2 Years ago the Habs played in Boston a game that felt like a home game. So there's no way of knowing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

BY the way CC, if you eevr stop trolling me and decide to look at the numbers for the New Jets, here's a pretty good summary:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/ticket-drive-means-big-money-for-winnipeg/article2048916/

Money quote:

QuoteWhile we know because of the bankruptcy process that the Phoenix Coyotes made only $13.33-million in ticket revenues the year before they went into bankruptcy, the yet to be named Winnipeg franchise would bring in $1.23-million per home game at their $82 average ticket price.

With the dollar basically at par, that means they would make roughly $50-million on regular-season ticket sales alone, $37-million more than Phoenix made in the year before court proceedings made their attendance situation far worse.

That's the type of gap there is between a really struggling franchise like the Coyotes and what the Return of the Jets has generated in Winnipeg.

Leaguewide gate receipt information isn't widely available, but estimates put Winnipeg in the top six or seven in terms of projected ticket revenue. While the city's smaller building and business community may mean they fall into the middle of the pack in terms of overall revenues, they will still fare far better than many of the league's most troubled markets.

And that doesn't even include the real estate angle I mentioned before.

crazy canuck

The real estate angle has no impact on whether the Jets will succeed financially.  Its just a hedge against the owners losing money.

The real issue will be whether they can get all these season ticket holders to renew after a few losing seasons have passed and the euphoria has died down.

That is when we will know if the Jets are there for the long haul or not.

crazy canuck

HVC

Vancouver can barely win at home and gets smoked on the road. game 5 (yes i'm ignoring 4 lol) shall be interesting.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Sophie Scholl

Wow.  Just wow. Now let's see if the Bruins can carry over this insane momentum...
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

HVC

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 06, 2011, 10:02:53 PM
Wow.  Just wow. Now let's see if the Bruins can carry over this insane momentum...
Score too much one get an you seem to get screwed over the next. like hockey karma or something. Feel bad for Loungo. not sure why he wasn't pulled on the 5th goal (i understand why he started the 3rd, but no reason to keep him in for the slaughter)