And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on May 16, 2011, 01:49:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2011, 12:33:42 PM
And yet there is talk of putting one of the teams that ought to be axed into a failed hockey city.  The league should just take its loses and downsize.
Atlanta was also a failed hockey city.  They gave them a second chance.

As was Denver and Minnesota.

Things are quite different between 2011 and 1996 (and 1995 for that matter).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Yeah, I forgot about the Colorado Rockies and the Minnesota North Stars.

The Avalanche and the Wild seem to be doing ok now.  Atlanta was doomed from the start, imho.  It seems the owners never wanted a hockey team in the first place.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

The Avs were very lucky to take the amazing team that was being built in Quebec to Denver.  That made it easy to earn the loyalty of the Mountain Staters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

NHL working on two schedules.  One with Atlanta, one with Winnipeg.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/True-North-negotiating-for-Thrashers-report-121898789.html

Now I'm not all that excited about that news.  Apparently they did the same last year as well (though with Phoenix, not Atlanta).

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 16, 2011, 01:49:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2011, 12:33:42 PM
And yet there is talk of putting one of the teams that ought to be axed into a failed hockey city.  The league should just take its loses and downsize.
Atlanta was also a failed hockey city.  They gave them a second chance.

Exactly

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2011, 03:00:56 PM
Exactly

It was not really a failed Hockey City it was because Canadian currency was funny money back then and Bettman was trying to capture new markets.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2011, 03:10:04 PM
Exactly

It was not really a failed Hockey City it was because Canadian currency was funny money back then and Bettman was trying to capture new markets.

Why didnt all the other Canadian cities fail?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2011, 03:18:14 PM

The only two that did were the only two who concievably could have because they were the smallest markets.  But all the Canadian franchises were hit really hard at the time.

Barrister

Exactly

It wasn't just the C$ (though that was part of it).  Winnipeg also had an ancient arena with little or no luxury boxes, and a lease with the city that gave the team very little additional revenue (concession sales went to the city, not the team).

We now have a nice modern arena... :shifty:

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2011, 03:18:14 PM
Exactly

Edmonton and Ottawa came close.  Very close.

But it was after the example of Quebec and Winnipeg that the league did bring in the Canadian Assistance Program to help with the low currency.

Barrister

Here's a crazy rumour that's making the rounds (and was just tweeted by Bob McKenzie of TSN).

due to the short timeframe, and all the issues surrounding conference realignment, Winnipeg might play it's first season in the Southeastern Conference.  :wacko:

Gee - I put the Florida teams will love all those trips to Manitoba...

Grey Fox

Hell, even the Habs came close. Why do you think it took an American with a Provincial Gov loan of 100 millions to buy the team out of the hands of Molson Co.?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 16, 2011, 03:32:43 PM
Gee - I put the Florida teams will love all those trips to Manitoba...

Eh all the players are from around there.

Barrister

The shitty thing if Winnipeg plays in the SE for next year there's only a 50/50 chance they come to Edmonton at all (and if they do, they'll do it only once). :(

Grey Fox

That's not going to sit well with Detroit, no matter the explanation.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.