News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2011, 08:48:43 AM
It's unlikely they wait until the playoffs are over.  Lots of people need to know one way or another.
Nobody needs to know, at least not right away.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Well I for one am with Beeb, and hope the Jets go back to Winnipeg. If for no other reason than that there will be a more pathetic Canadian team than Toronto.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 13, 2011, 01:08:28 PM
If for no other reason than that there will be a more pathetic Canadian team than Toronto.

As much as I think a new Winnipeg team will fail I dont think anyone will ever be as pathetic as Toronto.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2011, 01:25:05 PM
If for no other reason than that there will be a more pathetic Canadian team than Toronto.
As much as I think a new Winnipeg team will fail I dont think anyone will ever be as pathetic as Toronto.
That's a good point.  Winnipeg is expected to suck, fail and/or choke, just like all Canadian teams other than Montreal.  The difference is the enormous amount of money that has been poured into the Leafs over the years, wasted on guys like Kaberle or Darcy Tucker.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 13, 2011, 12:54:10 PM
re: East of Edmundston wtf? (as someone born & raised in the Saint John River Valley)

what's wrong with reasonably priced Lobster? but the steak is as good as the restaurant you go to
Lots of great food in New Brunswick, and it's not all seafood. (not everyone lives on the coast) Growing up we ate a lot of great beef (i have no idea where it was from, though there are a suspicious amount of cattle farms near where I lived.) and most people I knew grew their own fresh veggies. Fish & Chips is a French NB er thing. You only see it occasionally in Anglo NB.
My aunt lives near Shediac.  We used to often go there during summers, less so often nowadays, but I still get there from time to time :)
It's a nice province, I like the French part of the country.
But... I'm not a huge fan of lobster, fish or seafood in general.  I eat it, I will even like it once in a while, but not every day 3 times a day.  And I dislike cold lobster.
I used to think there was only seafood in all restaurants from Fredericton to Sidney ;)
My parents and my family travelling with us were eating lobsters every fucking day, every fucking meal.  Make that multiple years in a row...

Still, I was joking :)  There have been some good restaurants, but I can't say I've explored the finer restaurants of Moncton or Fredericton :)  The places I've eaten at, I wasn't impressed.  But I suppose every restaurants having some big lobster sign in front made me dis-enjoy the meals :D

Why would anyone go to Thunder Bay though?
Work?  Someone from my extended family was shipped over there to solve some productivity issues at the Bombardier plant.  He hated the place, hated being so far away from his family, but he liked the fishing :)

Vancouver? yes lots of Asian restaurants (lots of Asians) but also a very decent amount of Italian, Indian, various Euro/African restaurants also. More variety than any where east of Hogtown that's for certain (except maybe The Island of Montreal)
Actually, I've never been West of Sarnia :P
One day, may be.  When I win the lottery :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Well I for one am with Beeb, and hope the Jets go back to Winnipeg. If for no other reason than that there will be a more pathetic Canadian team than Toronto.

Except that even without existing for the last 15 years, Winnipeg still has more championships since 1967 than the Maple Leafs do.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on May 13, 2011, 12:58:59 PM
It's unlikely they wait until the playoffs are over.  Lots of people need to know one way or another.

There are season tickets to sell, free agents to sign, advertisors to line up...

Barrister

After yesterday's absolute explosion of Jets news and rumours, today there's been almost nothing.  That doesn't eman it isn't happening - these thigns often come in waves.

But it's a lot less exciting than yesterday was. :(

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2011, 02:48:55 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 13, 2011, 12:58:59 PM
There are season tickets to sell, free agents to sign, advertisors to line up...
The summer provides plenty of time for that.  Besides, the free agency period doesn't start until July.

Zoupa

Quote from: Barrister on May 12, 2011, 08:15:31 PM
Holy fuck:

http://watch.tsn.ca/#clip466119

Darren Dreger: Atlanta WILL move to Winnipeg for next season.

No equivocation or wriggle words.  All from a paid mouthpiece of the NHL.

That's not what he said  :huh: He said there's a chance that Atlanta will move to Winnipeg for next season.

PRC

There are no free agents to sign, no one would ever sign there.

katmai

Quote from: Zoupa on May 13, 2011, 05:33:00 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 12, 2011, 08:15:31 PM
Holy fuck:

http://watch.tsn.ca/#clip466119

Darren Dreger: Atlanta WILL move to Winnipeg for next season.

No equivocation or wriggle words.  All from a paid mouthpiece of the NHL.

That's not what he said  :huh: He said there's a chance that Atlanta will move to Winnipeg for next season.

You have to forgive Beeb, he's desperate.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

Quote from: PRC on May 13, 2011, 05:42:05 PM

There are no free agents to sign, no one would ever sign there.
Come on.  Players sign in all kinds of cities that aren't that great.  Buffalo, Vancouver, Minnesota, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto and Detroit all have players sign there, although Detroit at least wins.

PRC

Quote from: Neil on May 13, 2011, 09:06:14 PM
Come on.  Players sign in all kinds of cities that aren't that great.  Buffalo, Vancouver, Minnesota, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto and Detroit all have players sign there, although Detroit at least wins.

They sign in Vancouver, Toronto and Detroit.

Vancouver because they win and it's a nice city.  Toronto because it's close to home.  Detroit because they win.

The don't sign in Edmonton unless it's for the money (Khabibulin).  They don't sign in Calgary unless it's their last chance (Tanguay). 

Buffalo's classic jersey with the crossed sabres is kinda cool and that's why someone might sign there.

CountDeMoney

The NHL needs to contract by about 6 teams.  The Southeast division would be a good start.