News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on May 08, 2011, 03:24:48 PM
This team ain't moving north for next fall.  No move before summer 2012.

Words quoted for posterity.   :menace:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I thought the NHL had financial problems.  Does Bettman really have enough money laying around to just dump millions down a rabbit hole for no other reason than his ego?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Revenue have been growing every year since coming back from the Lock Out. The NHL is doing fine. It's individual team that aren't doing so good.

The Leafs, Rangers & #3 (Detroit?) are bankrolling the league.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2011, 10:20:39 AM
Revenue have been growing every year since coming back from the Lock Out. The NHL is doing fine. It's individual team that aren't doing so good.

They should give The Leafs an honorary Stanley Cup because of that.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Well lets hope the Leafs and Rangers fans continue to keep shelling out cash even though their franchises are jokes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

BuddhaRhubarb

Habs, and Vancouver are well off selling out every game for ages now too.
:p

Grey Fox

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 09, 2011, 12:34:31 PM

The Wild has sellout every home game of their history. Arena Attendance isn't everything.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2011, 10:23:45 AM

Well lets hope the Leafs and Rangers fans continue to keep shelling out cash even though their franchises are jokes.
:o: :weep:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2011, 12:41:00 PM

The Wild has sellout every home game of their history. Arena Attendance isn't everything.

ticket prices in Canada vs. US makes a big diff there. Wild games cost less than half what Canucks or Leaf games go for, and that's in weakass US currency.

also swag, Canadians buy a lot of jerseys etc...at Nashville gmes they give away tees. there are a few jerseys but not like the more solid base teams in Canada or US.
:p

Barrister

:mad:

QuoteCheck THE DREGER REPORT each weekday for 'The Things You Need To Know' for the day in the National Hockey League from TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger. Darren's reports are posted here at about 1pm et/10am pt.

GOT A QUESTION FOR THE HOCKEY INSIDER? Email your questions to [email protected] and he'll answer selected questions each week.

Updated: Monday, May 09, 2011 1:25 PM

May 9, 1:25 PM

The Dreger Report is going to avoid the drama sparked in a post-game show last night from Versus analyst Jeremy Roenick, who described Sharks veteran Patrick Marleau and his 23:18 of ice time as a, 'gutless performance.'

That said, Mike Peca and Aaron Ward are in studio tonight at TSN and both will weigh in with their views on whether or not Roenick crossed the line with his cutting comments - so tune in to SportsCentre for their reaction.

My focus today and tomorrow is on the Phoenix Coyotes and the City of Glendale's planned vote to keep them in Glendale for at least one more season.

If it goes as expected tomorrow night, Glendale city council will vote in favour of covering the Coyotes' losses for another year - up to $25 million.

The NHL fully supports any plan to keep the Coyotes in Arizona, but recognizes the city is simply buying time to either work out a more suitable deal with Matt Hulsizer or any other prospective buyer the city or league can lure to the desert.

Some believe Glendale city officials are actively trying to encourage Jerry Reinsdorf to return to the table. Reinsdorf and his group pulled their bid to buy the Coyotes in August of 2009 after failing to meet deadlines prior to the NHL purchasing the team.

Further speculation suggests Hulsizer is considering pulling out of the deal, perhaps, prior to tomorrow's vote which would leave Glendale with little to work with while footing the bill next season. However, those close to Hulsizer don't believe he's plotting any such move and will instead continue to wait patiently to see if the structure of his proposal to buy the Coyotes will, in time, be accepted.

Winnipeg and Atlanta are both eager to learn the outcome of tomorrow's vote and while True North has pretty much reached its breaking point from a time stand point, there is still strong belief their patience will be rewarded in the form of NHL relocation, if not this year, then possibly next.

Atlanta's ownership wants out and Winnipeg is keenly interested, but will sit tight until given clearance from the league to begin negotiating to buy the Thrashers.

Sources say two local groups have expressed interest in buying Atlanta, but the process is moving slowly and Thrashers owners are hoping once the dusts settles in Glendale, the NHL will turn its attention on Atlanta and the possibilities this franchise will soon be faced with.

It will be a very interesting week, although it seems unlikely hockey fans in Winnipeg will get the answer they so desperately have been waiting for - confirmation of the NHL's return.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

I can't believe they're going to own this team into a THIRD YEAR.

Still hoping for Atlanta.  This year.

Valmy

I am so glad I am not paying taxes to support a hockey Team.  The people of Glendale are pathetic stooges.

Grey Fox

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 09, 2011, 12:47:56 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2011, 12:41:00 PM

ticket prices in Canada vs. US makes a big diff there. Wild games cost less than half what Canucks or Leaf games go for, and that's in weakass US currency.

also swag, Canadians buy a lot of jerseys etc...at Nashville gmes they give away tees. there are a few jerseys but not like the more solid base teams in Canada or US.

:nod:

katmai

Where is my :nelson: for Beeb...
Oh here it is

:nelson:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

It does kind of smart that the NHL hates Winnipeg so much it is willing to pay tens of millions of dollars for no other reason than to keep a team from moving there.

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on May 09, 2011, 01:36:57 PM
Where is my :nelson: for Beeb...
Oh here it is

:nelson:

Atlanta. :contract:

The dynamics are completely different.  The City of atlanta couldn't care less.  The arena owners want them OUT as they already have the Hawks as an anchor tenant.