NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on March 18, 2011, 11:18:20 AM
You've been doing that for a while in this thread, with your jets meter :P

It's not my meter - it's the Official TSN Jets Meter.  :contract:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/jetsmeter/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

TSN has officially jumped the shark
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Barrister

Could be nothing, or it could be something.

This is from TSN's Dreger Report, and I've linked it in the past.  Darren Dreger is their "NHL Insider", which seems to me he gets inside information from the league, but has to stay constantly 'on message' for the league and can't say anything negative, or release anything he isn't supposed to release.

This is the concluding paragraph to his Friday article.

QuoteThanks for your emails. I look forward to next weeks mailbag. In the meantime, enjoy your weekend and stay close to TSN.ca as we continue to monitor all developments involving the Phoenix Coyotes. If a resolution isn't reached today, tomorrow or Sunday, we'll have a full update in Monday's edition of The Dreger Report.

Why does he seem to think something might happen this weekend?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

katmai

Once again Beeb proves my point. :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on March 18, 2011, 06:36:31 PM
Once again Beeb proves my point. :lol:

If you see me posting in the hockey thread you know what it is going to be about. :contract:

katmai

And if you had some actual news report it, not quoting a line from a writers blog about "hey something may or may not happen this weekend in regards to sale"  How about you comment on you know the actual teams playing for playoff positions.

:lol:

Jacob

The Canucks are doing good, and the Danish guy even scored a couple of goals this season :cheers:

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on March 18, 2011, 06:45:22 PM
How about you comment on you know the actual teams playing for playoff positions.

Because that's not what I'm interested about at this point.  :contract:

Neil

Quote from: katmai on March 18, 2011, 06:45:22 PM
And if you had some actual news report it, not quoting a line from a writers blog about "hey something may or may not happen this weekend in regards to sale"  How about you comment on you know the actual teams playing for playoff positions.

:lol:
OK.

• Philadelphia - I think this might be their year.  The Flyers have skill and toughness, and they have the right mix of young and old.  They also have Pronger, and so can't be counted out ever.
  • Washington - They can be exciting at times, but I just can't bring myself to really care about the Captials right now.  Maybe it's all the Russians or something, but I just can't develop a rapport.
  • Boston - Normally I'd want the best for them, but Chara's thuggery has me on an anti-Bruin tear.  Their goal-tending situation is shaky too, although Thomas can light on fire at the drop of a hat.  Also, Tim's certainty in the presence of life on Europa has cursed this team.
  • Pittsburgh - I don't know if I buy the Penguins without Crosby.  The guy hasn't played for two months, but he's still their leader in pretty much all offensive categories.  Without Crosby, Malkin has slumped ferociously.  They've had some good secondary scoring, but we'll see if they can count on that.
  • Tampa Bay - Tons of firepower, but the real question is can Roloson be a god again in the playoffs?  If he gets hot again, and it looks like that might be happening, then Tampa will be a real force to contend with in the playoffs.  It looks like Stamkos is for really real, and not just a product of an attempt to get the 'Crosby Sweepstakes' rookie fever to last another year.
  • Montreal - My emotional favorite.  I think they have strong fundamentals, but injuries have taken a toll on them.  Hopefully they meet Boston in the first round, and crush them.  The Eller kid is looking really good.
  • New York - To be honest, I don't expect a lot out of the Rangers.  They have some interesting pieces, capable defencemen and really good goaltending, but I just don't see them as having a player who can deliver playoff goals on a regular basis.
  • Buffalo - I like the Sabres, although Miller's not the wall he once was and he needs more focus on defence from the team.  They'll probably get crushed by Philly or Washington in the first round.
  • Carolina - Southern hockey teams can go to hell.  The only thing that the former Whalers have going for them is Ric 'WHOOOO" Flair.
  • Toronto - Their tears of failure as they fail to make the playoffs will be delicious.  Thank heavens we live in the 21st century where no hockey fan is forced to cheer for the Leafs.

• Vancouver - Suck more than any non-Leafs team.  Vancouver fans are a bunch of no-class assholes, at least since the 90s.  Since they're a bunch of choke artists, their failure this year will bring howls of rage from the drug-addicted goofballs that call that hellhole home.  I hope they get hit with a hydrogen bomb by Iran.
  • Detroit - Fucking mercs.  The Curse of the Neck-Breaker will keep them from making a deep run.
  • San Jose - Maybe these guys will finally have their year, since they haven't left everyone in the dust this year and consequently have something to play for.  I like the Sharks, I like their players, but their history has taught me to be cautious.
  • Phoenix - Will soon be the Jets again, unless Bettman decides to try getting into the untapped hockey market in Mexico City.  Given the quality of decisionmaking this guy has shown, would we be surprised?  On the ice, it's nice to see these guys not being futile, although I don't think they're quite there yet.  Beeb could be cheering for a team hoisting the cup in a few years, if they make the right moves.
  • Los Angeles - I like the Kings and their youth movement.  Quick's a good goalie, and their team has toughness and heart.  They remind me of the young Flyers players of a few years back, before they got their veteran leadership.
  • Dallas - These guys are always just around, you know?  Because they employ the hated Mike Ribeiro, they will fail.  Also, they should be the Minnesota North Stars, so double fuck you to them.
  • Chicago - Even with all the quality players they lost, these guys are a great scoring team, full of exciting scorers.  I'm a little concerned with goaltending though.  Still, these guys are dangerous and they can beat anybody at any time, even as they are now.
  • Nashville - You won't win in the playoffs playing the trap.  This isn't the 90s, and you are not the New Jersey Devils.  If they make it in, they'll get raped to death by one of the teams who can skate and score.
  • Anaheim - I don't give these guys much of a chance.  You don't make a playoff run without goaltending, and when your choices are Ellis (who made his rep playing for the trapping Predators), Emery (the NHL's answer to T.O., banished to Russia for the last couple years) and McElhinney (whose only achievement in the league was being put in by Calgary to chop down Red Wings who were roughing up Kipprusoff), you might be in trouble.  If only they still had Pronger, who makes average goalies better.
  • Calgary - Canada's only hope in the West.  I don't like their odds though.  Apart from Glenncross and Bourque, the team might as well be called Jerome Iginla and the Underachievers.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on March 20, 2011, 01:21:25 PM
Vancouver - Suck more than any non-Leafs team.  Vancouver fans are a bunch of no-class assholes, at least since the 90s.  Since they're a bunch of choke artists, their failure this year will bring howls of rage from the drug-addicted goofballs that call that hellhole home.  I hope they get hit with a hydrogen bomb by Iran.

:cry:

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on March 20, 2011, 02:04:15 PM
Vancouver - Suck more than any non-Leafs team.  Vancouver fans are a bunch of no-class assholes, at least since the 90s.  Since they're a bunch of choke artists, their failure this year will bring howls of rage from the drug-addicted goofballs that call that hellhole home.  I hope they get hit with a hydrogen bomb by Iran.

Sorry, but you shouldn't have blamed your goalies for not being Patrick Roy back in the days when your gays were playing 4 forwards against the trap.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on March 20, 2011, 02:11:47 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 20, 2011, 02:04:15 PM

Sorry, but you shouldn't have blamed your goalies for not being Patrick Roy back in the days when your gays were playing 4 forwards against the trap.

Not all fans did that. Example: Me. Some Vancouver fans are actually hockey fans first. When Vancouver is fielding a sucky team, I'm always the first to say so. part of being a fan is whinging about (what you think are) bad decisions/players etc. Every team in the league has fansof the type you ascribe to Vancouver, all the teams also have fans who understand the game and know when their team is for real or not.

Will Vancouver do better in the playoffs? My gut says yes, but my brain says it's as likely as San Jose choking, that Vancouver could also.

My desire is however for them to win.

Other teams deserving of going all the way (based on reg season play) imo:

Philly
Montreal
SanJose
Detroit
Pittsburgh

Washington, and all other teams who make the playoffs are to me Dark Horses.
:p

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2011, 03:54:44 PM

Some have speculated that Canadians eager to see the team return have donated to Goldwater. Olsen said the institute will not release records of donors without their consent due to privacy law. But she said the institute searched its donation database "high and low" and found one $100 gift from a Canadian.

I think I know where that 100$ came from :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.