News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2021, 10:14:40 AM
55 has been in the league a number of years now has zero history with dirty hits.

Can't say that anymore.

He saw he was going to be late several strides away.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 03, 2021, 01:56:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2021, 10:01:40 PM
The Leafs man...I guess no matter what else happens you can always be grateful you are not a Leafs fan.

One could be a Canucks fan.

They have had a few nice runs in living memory. The Leafs haven't even played for the Stanley Cup since...um...*checks* 1967? Holy shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on June 03, 2021, 02:04:08 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 03, 2021, 01:56:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2021, 10:01:40 PM
The Leafs man...I guess no matter what else happens you can always be grateful you are not a Leafs fan.

One could be a Canucks fan.

They have had a few nice runs in living memory. The Leafs haven't even played for the Stanley Cup since...um...*checks* 1967? Holy shit.

1993, I think, or 94 was pretty close. Lost to the Kings in semi final overtime on a controversial Gretzky goal. Otherwise would have made the final against Montreal. And we would have won. I lived downtown at the time, and the parade would have been right outside my window. :mad:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zoupa

Nobody could have beaten Patrick Roy that year, sorry buddy

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on June 03, 2021, 02:10:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxBL85rr0jI

Things always look way worse when you go frame-by-frame, Zapruder-style.

Play the clip at game speed and Scheifele's hit is a fraction of a second late.  He's going to get suspended for it, but there's no malice there, and definitely no intent to injure.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Grey Fox

It's fine. The Parros DPS doesn't have the clout to hand 10+ games.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 03, 2021, 09:14:47 PM

No it's not fine.  Scheif is a goddamn choir boy whose never been subject to supplemental discipline in his entire career.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2021, 10:38:27 PM
No it's not fine.  Scheif is a goddamn choir boy whose never been subject to supplemental discipline in his entire career.

Is prior history something that typically gets considered with NHL discipline?

saskganesh

Quote from: Jacob on June 03, 2021, 11:32:36 PM

... sometimes.

I think the NHL is having a "tough-on-crime" moment. The league has faced a lot of criticism this year on its inconsistent officiating, more than normal, and wants to save face. Scheifele is the perfect stooge.
humans were created in their own image

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on June 03, 2021, 11:32:36 PM

Absolutely.

Zoupa

You're an idiot, seriously. Evans will probably have lifelong consequences from that hit and you're big mad because your church buddy got caught being a fucking asshole.

Grey Fox

Yes. But he forgot to make an hockey play.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Yeah, I watched the video - not the frame by frame one, but the real-time play one - and it looks like a deliberate hit with great follow-through that has no relation whatsoever to what the puck is doing. Doesn't seem excuseable to me.

Beeb defending it and whining about the suspension is rapidly evaporating any of the goodwill I've felt towards his support of the Jets. Fuck that.