News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2020, 12:14:34 PM
Huh. Nice.

Well I hope whomever in Germany cares about this kind of thing enjoyed it because that is unlikely to ever happening again :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2020, 12:14:03 PM
Germany beat Canada and won the silver medal in 2018. It was ridiculous.

NHL did not allow its players to play in the Olympics that year, so Canada had to make due with a bunch of scrubs I'd never heard of before.

Edit: regarding the Seattle Kraken, it perhaps makes more sense when you remember that Jerry Bruckheimer is a part owner of the team - famous for producing movies such as Pirates of the Caribbean.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2020, 12:15:40 PM
Huh. Nice.

Well I hope whomever in Germany cares about this kind of thing enjoyed it because that is unlikely to ever happening again :lol:

Dude, I'm completely out of the loop with pro sports at the moment. There's nothing I follow right now, and neither do any of my friends (except one coworker who is into football).  :blush:

I used to be the complete opposite.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2020, 12:20:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2020, 12:15:40 PM
Huh. Nice.

Dude, I'm completely out of the loop with pro sports at the moment. There's nothing I follow right now, and neither do any of my friends (except one coworker who is into football).  :blush:

I used to be the complete opposite.

Why the change?

I ws going to defend you saying "well no one can follow all sports"... but to not follow any of them?

Barrister

Trending on Twitter is the Seattle Kraken.

Also trending?  Liam Neeson.  :lol:

Syt

Dunno, just happened. Some sports, like soccer, have become way too commcercialized for my tastes over the last 20, 30 years. Others I just drifted away from.

I don't watch TV anymore, which plays a big role, I guess. For soccer I would have to pay one subscription for the Bundesliga on Sky, or two if I wanted to watch Champions League (Sky and DAZN split the rights for this season, haven't looked at who had what rights now).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on July 23, 2020, 11:41:42 AM
Seattle Kraken is an awesome name! :mad:

And I do like that they listened to fan feedback (Kraken got lots of attention), rather than the owner just going with his own personal preference (looking at you Vegas) <_<

Kraken feels too hipstery/"oooh, I saw Pirates of the Caribbean!"

Thunderbirds has a long, local hockey tradition.  :sleep:

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on July 23, 2020, 12:17:02 PM
Edit: regarding the Seattle Kraken, it perhaps makes more sense when you remember that Jerry Bruckheimer is a part owner of the team - famous for producing movies such as Pirates of the Caribbean.

I should have known. Whenever a shitty name for a NHL team is selected you know a disney film is behind it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 23, 2020, 12:36:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 23, 2020, 11:41:42 AM
Seattle Kraken is an awesome name! :mad:

And I do like that they listened to fan feedback (Kraken got lots of attention), rather than the owner just going with his own personal preference (looking at you Vegas) <_<

Kraken feels too hipstery/"oooh, I saw Pirates of the Caribbean!"

Thunderbirds has a long, local hockey tradition.  :sleep:

Pirates of the Caribbean is about as anti-hipster as you can get. -_-

Thunderbird is also a mythic creature of First Nations spirituality.  In 2020 I wouldn't want to touch something like that with a 10' pole.

Tonitrus

I don't think anyone has gone after the Seahawk's logo yet. :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on July 23, 2020, 12:17:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2020, 12:14:03 PM
Germany beat Canada and won the silver medal in 2018. It was ridiculous.

NHL did not allow its players to play in the Olympics that year, so Canada had to make due with a bunch of scrubs I'd never heard of before.

Canadian scrubs still should have beaten Germany. Come on man.

Tonitrus

But nevertheless, the Thunderbirds is also an existing Seattle Western Hockey League team...so probably problematic/confusing to usurp the name.

Grey Fox

I really like the Kraken name. I like the black less color scheme even more.

Excellent news all around.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 23, 2020, 12:42:18 PM
I don't think anyone has gone after the Seahawk's logo yet. :hmm:

No they haven't.  Nor the existing Thunderbirds.  And maybe nobody ever will.

But I'm just saying if I'm starting from scratch I wouldn't go near those kind of symbols.