News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

It was NHL trade deadline day yesterday.  And because I gotta be me, I'm here to tell you about what happened for the Winnipeg Jets.

They made a trade for a player.

I know - hardly shocking for some teams.  But this is Kevin Chevaldayoff.  He's only made I think 2 player-for-player trades in his six and a half years.  But here he is - bringing in veteran centreman Paul Stastny.

What's more - Stastny had a full "no move" clause in his contract.  He could have easily vetoed the trade.  But he didn't - he chose to come to Winnipeg.

Exciting times. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

He's also picked to wear Thomas Steen's number.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2018, 03:42:47 PM
But he didn't - he chose to come to Winnipeg.

What did they have on him?

Valmy

So now that the NHL destroyed the glory of Canadian Hockey will they reverse course?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

saskganesh

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2018, 06:13:29 PM

Wheeler (Jet's Captain) is apparently a friend. They played together at some point. If the team is successful with him, he'll enjoy Winnipeg.

humans were created in their own image

crazy canuck

Quote from: saskganesh on February 28, 2018, 09:54:05 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2018, 06:13:29 PM

Wheeler (Jet's Captain) is apparently a friend. They played together at some point. If the team is successful with him, he'll enjoy Winnipeg.

A friendly place where he can play out the last days of his career.  Makes sense.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 28, 2018, 10:50:10 AM
A friendly place where he can play out the last days of his career.  Makes sense.

Stastny is only 32 - he's not quite "in the last days of his career".

He waived his no-trade because he likes Winnipeg's chances to win.  He said something like 'it's only 3 months out of a career, I don't want to be thinking back at the end what could have been'.

Stastny (although born in Quebec when his dad played for the Nords) mostly grew up in St Louis and considers it home.  It's a pretty good bet that he re-signs with St Louis in the off season.  But you never know - he looked damn good playing with Laine and Ehlers last night, and if the Jets make a lengthy run maybe the Jets can re-sign him.  Although in a Jets team that's going to spend to the cap for the first time, and with several young players going to need expensive new deals, it's not clear who would have to walk in order to afford Stastny's salary.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 28, 2018, 10:57:40 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 28, 2018, 10:50:10 AM

Stastny is only 32 - he's not quite "in the last days of his career".

He waived his no-trade because he likes Winnipeg's chances to win.  He said something like 'it's only 3 months out of a career, I don't want to be thinking back at the end what could have been'.

Stastny (although born in Quebec when his dad played for the Nords) mostly grew up in St Louis and considers it home.  It's a pretty good bet that he re-signs with St Louis in the off season.  But you never know - he looked damn good playing with Laine and Ehlers last night, and if the Jets make a lengthy run maybe the Jets can re-sign him.  Although in a Jets team that's going to spend to the cap for the first time, and with several young players going to need expensive new deals, it's not clear who would have to walk in order to afford Stastny's salary.

Yeah, not exactly in the prime of his career.  He gets to play among friends and if things work out play out his career there or another place of his choosing.  Not much downside for him once he gets past having to spend a winter there.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 27, 2018, 05:49:34 PM
He's also picked to wear Thomas Steen's number.

Oh, I meant to reply to this:

Stastny has almost always worn #26.  It's the same number his father, Hall of Famer Peter Stastny wore.  But Jets captain Blake Wheeler also wears 26.  Wheeler offers to give the number to Stastny, but Stastny refuses.

One of Stastny's teammates on the Blues is/was Alex Steen.  Steen's father is Thomas Steen, a Winnipeg Jets defenceman from back in the day.  Steen was from Sweden, but remained in Winnipeg and Alex mostly grew up there.

Anyways, Alex urges Stastny to take his dad's old number 25.  :)

Grey Fox

International good old canadian boys.

I like it!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Seattle was able to get 10,000 deposits for season tickets in minutes.

saskganesh

Quote from: Barrister on February 28, 2018, 04:21:29 PM
Thomas Steen, a Winnipeg Jets defenceman from back in the day. 

Good story. But Steen was a centerman. :Canuck:
humans were created in their own image

Barrister

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

apparently Seattle is going for  Seattle Totems as a name. I know it has history, but still ugh.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.