News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on May 10, 2017, 10:12:45 PM
I guess that was a good game... Stupid recorder, stupid tv networks for allowing only 2h30 for a game :mad:

I'm sorry Valmy, I know the disapointment.  But I'm happy for my team this year.

Hard choice for the next round.

Fuck the Pens. Fuck Pittsburgh. Fuck black and gold. Fuck Sid the kid. Fuck hockey.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 11, 2017, 12:02:28 AM
I guess that was a good game... Stupid recorder, stupid tv networks for allowing only 2h30 for a game :mad:

I'm sorry Valmy, I know the disapointment.  But I'm happy for my team this year.

Fuck the Pens. Fuck Pittsburgh. Fuck black and gold. Fuck Sid the kid. Fuck hockey.

Remember - you could always be a fan of a team that has not won a playoff GAME in over twenty years... :ultra:

But at least I have my team back. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 11, 2017, 12:08:58 AM
Remember - you could always be a fan of a team that has not won a playoff GAME in over twenty years... :ultra:

Really? If the Edmonton Oilers took down the Jets nine times in the playoffs in humiliating fashion and then went on to win Stanley Cup glory time after time while your franchise became synonymous for chokers and losers you would think that was great because they won a few playoff games in there? At least they did beat the Oilers to win a championship once.

How can you be so clueless? At least the Jets might do something to surprise you next season. Every season for the Caps is the same season.

I mean after all I basically called this. I just thought the Pens would beat them in Overtime. But basically I knew what was going to happen and so did CdM. I look forward to puking my guts out during the Pens' fifth Stanley Cup.

Ah well. At least it will be the regular season again soon.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

your team played like savages, trying to hurt the Pens star players in the first 4 games.  Then they played real hockey and they won 2 great games.  Maybe, just maybe, if you weren't as blind as a Habs fan, you could recognize that there is something wrong with the Caps strategy and it has nothing to do with the Pens, since they manage to lose against other teams too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on May 11, 2017, 06:49:52 AM
Maybe, just maybe, if you weren't as blind as a Habs fan,

Gonna have to use that one in a bar fight sometime.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on May 11, 2017, 12:08:58 AM

Really? :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

your team played like savages, trying to hurt the Pens star players in the first 4 games.  Then they played real hockey and they won 2 great games.  Maybe, just maybe, if you weren't as blind as a Habs fan, you could recognize that there is something wrong with the Caps strategy and it has nothing to do with the Pens, since they manage to lose against other teams too.

We are not blind, we just don't tell you, traitors.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

I'm sorry, Valmy.   :console:

And I mean it, too.  There are plenty of Caps fans here I can drive this chokefest into the ground with in person.

Valmy

I am well aware the Caps choke against everybody when the calendar does not say '1998'. But since this has been going on for more than 30 years, covering numerous groups of players, coaches, and management I doubt it is related to any particular strategy.

My hatred for the Pens is completely petty and irrational. Fuck the Pens. My hatred is based on jealousy so you Pens fans should take it as a compliment. I don't spend my time hating the Blue Jackets.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 11, 2017, 11:10:07 AM
I'm sorry, Valmy.   :console:

And I mean it, too.  There are plenty of Caps fans here I can drive this chokefest into the ground with in person.

I really get annoyed by the delusional Caps fans who cannot seem to accept their place in the world. 'Come on! The Caps had a great season. Next year it will all come together.' :bleeding:

HVC

Hey at least the caps are now second in most game 7 losses. That's something, right?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on May 11, 2017, 11:38:20 AM
Hey at least the caps are now second in most game 7 losses. That's something, right?

Impressive considering the NHL has been around for 100 years and the Caps have only been part of it for 43. But it is a record they are destined to hold.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on May 11, 2017, 11:31:40 AM
I am well aware the Caps choke against everybody when the calendar does not say '1998'. But since this has been going on for more than 30 years, covering numerous groups of players, coaches, and management I doubt it is related to any particular strategy.
The Nordiques never went beyond the Conference finals.

The thing with the Caps is timing.  The Pens had very good players from the mid 80s to the mid 2000s centered around Mario Lemieux and then around Crosby as Mario left the team for good.  And it just so happens they are in the same division as your Caps. I don't think the Nordiques were reaching the conference finals around the time the Pens had Lemieux, but even if they did, it's not like my parents would have let me stay up all evening to watch hockey, if it had even been aired on tv.

I think the Caps have a tendancy to rely too much on veterans, like the Habs, prefer autonomous players to reach the finals rather than build a team, even if it means sucking like the Oilers or the Jets.  The Oilers haven't been in a playoff game since 2003 (ok, maybe once or twice, but not far) and they are now out in the 2nd round.
But they have a core of young, determined, players, where as the Caps and the Habs have uncertain veterans.  They can be extremely good one night, extremely bad the other.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on May 11, 2017, 02:48:31 PM

The thing with the Caps is timing.  The Pens had very good players from the mid 80s to the mid 2000s centered around Mario Lemieux and then around Crosby as Mario left the team for good.  And it just so happens they are in the same division as your Caps. I don't think the Nordiques were reaching the conference finals around the time the Pens had Lemieux, but even if they did, it's not like my parents would have let me stay up all evening to watch hockey, if it had even been aired on tv.

I think the Caps have a tendancy to rely too much on veterans, like the Habs, prefer autonomous players to reach the finals rather than build a team, even if it means sucking like the Oilers or the Jets.  The Oilers haven't been in a playoff game since 2003 (ok, maybe once or twice, but not far) and they are now out in the 2nd round.
But they have a core of young, determined, players, where as the Caps and the Habs have uncertain veterans.  They can be extremely good one night, extremely bad the other.

You seem to have forgotten that the Oilers made it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2006.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 11, 2017, 03:00:04 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 11, 2017, 02:48:31 PM

You seem to have forgotten that the Oilers made it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2006.
yeah, I thought it was 2003.