News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Testing Firefox

Started by lustindarkness, March 07, 2011, 12:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

OK nerds, I left my comfort zone and I'm trying Mozilla Firefox again for the first time in like 10 years, works fine up to now (3-5 minutes of use) any settings or addons recommended? Thank you.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

I always used Forecastfox as a nice little weather plugin. I dabbled with others but that was the only one I used consistently.  I got a little fed up with Firefox running slow & doing a crappy job with flash video, so I ditched it for Chrome & haven't looked back. 

Chrome is much faster and automatically syncs my favorites & browsing history between my work PC, laptop, and main PC at home.  I can also send links to my Android phone with one click, and supposedly allows for remote printing from my phone though I haven't tried that yet.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

@lusti

Are you testing the new Firefox beta?  I'm running that on my home PC.  I think I like it better (still getting used to all the interface changes), but it does this annoying thing where it blows my hard drive up with activity once ever 2-3 minutes for like 3 seconds... like it's dumping the cache from memory to disk or something.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

lustindarkness

Not the new beta, v 3.6.15. I plan on trying Chrome also. The wifi here in Kuwait is so crappy, I wanted to see if firefox was a bit better, with adblock it seems to work a little better with some pages, but also seems to time out a bit to quick when a page does not load fast enough, may have to play with it a bit more.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on March 07, 2011, 12:30:59 PM
I always used Forecastfox as a nice little weather plugin. I dabbled with others but that was the only one I used consistently.  I got a little fed up with Firefox running slow & doing a crappy job with flash video, so I ditched it for Chrome & haven't looked back. 

Chrome is much faster and automatically syncs my favorites & browsing history between my work PC, laptop, and main PC at home.  I can also send links to my Android phone with one click, and supposedly allows for remote printing from my phone though I haven't tried that yet.

This. 

QuoteGive Safari a try.   

Not this.

One thing that irritates me way more than it should about chrome though, is that when I scroll up using the middle mouse button, I have to be careful not to release the MMB with the pointer over any sort of links at all.  It treats the release as a click, so opens a new tab with whatever fucking link I happened to be hovering over (usually, it's one of those bigass top of page type things).  I don't know how to make it stop doing this.

Grey Fox

IE8 does that too. I got use to it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on March 07, 2011, 12:42:32 PM
but it does this annoying thing where it blows my hard drive up with activity once ever 2-3 minutes for like 3 seconds... like it's dumping the cache from memory to disk or something.
ah! I'm not the only one!

I uninstalled FF 4.0 due to that :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

I may well roll it back for the same reason.  But I'll be sure to leave a scathing rant on the "Firefox makes me sad because..." thing first. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Lucidor

Fire Gestures is a great addon. Mouse gestures simplifies everything.

citizen k

I use the Adblock Plus add-on.

viper37

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 07, 2011, 12:09:51 PM
OK nerds, I left my comfort zone and I'm trying Mozilla Firefox again for the first time in like 10 years, works fine up to now (3-5 minutes of use) any settings or addons recommended? Thank you.

• flagfox - tells you where the site is located
  • Downloadhelper - download Youtube videos
  • Flashgot - works well with Getright
  • Fox Tab - 3d Tab switching
  • IE Tab Plus - for these pesky sites that refuses to load properly in FF
  • McAfee Site Advisor
  • Noia 2.0 Extreme - better look
  • Lastpass - remembers all your password, compiles it in one big secure db
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Quote from: jamesww on March 07, 2011, 07:29:46 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 07, 2011, 05:16:41 PM
Downloadhelper - download Youtube videos

This is highly useful.

The Ant Video Downloader also lets you download videos. Especially from those naughty tube sites.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2011, 12:58:10 PM
Give Safari a try.   :)

Safari for Windows is still a turd, from what I hear.  If you're going to evangelize Apple products, at least try to focus on the good ones.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Quote from: viper37 on March 07, 2011, 05:16:41 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on March 07, 2011, 12:09:51 PM

• flagfox - tells you where the site is located
  • Downloadhelper - download Youtube videos
  • Flashgot - works well with Getright
  • Fox Tab - 3d Tab switching
  • IE Tab Plus - for these pesky sites that refuses to load properly in FF
  • McAfee Site Advisor
  • Noia 2.0 Extreme - better look
  • Lastpass - remembers all your password, compiles it in one big secure db

Thank you, I will take a look at those.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom