Former French President Chirac On Trial For Corruption

Started by jimmy olsen, March 07, 2011, 08:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Any Euros know more about the validity of these charges?

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/europe/Former-French-President-on-Trial-for-Corruption-Charges-117511629.html

Former French President on Trial for Corruption Charges

Lisa Bryant | Paris  March 07, 2011
AP

Former French President Jacques Chirac went on trial Monday on corruption charges related to hirings that allegedly benefited his center-right party. Chirac becomes the first French head of state to go on trial.

The charges date back to when former President Jacques Chirac was mayor of Paris, between 1977 and 1995. The 78-year-old former head of state is accused of giving people city hall jobs when they really worked for his then center-right Rally for the Republic Party.

He denies the allegations, arguing all the posts were legitimate.

Corruption allegations against Chirac have persisted for years. But as president, he enjoyed immunity from prosecution – which ended when he left office. If convicted, he faces up to 10 years in jail and a fine of about $207,000 dollars.

In brief remarks Sunday to France's Europe 1 radio, Chirac said he was as well as could be expected – French media have reported he may have Alzheimer's disease although his wife has denied this. He refused to discuss the trial.

During his last years in office, Chirac battled high unpopularity ratings. But now, he is among the most popular figures in France – and the French are divided over whether he should stand trial.

Dominique Paille, spokesman for the ruling, center-right UMP party – which was founded under Chirac's presidency – said the French justice system could have avoided a trial.

Paille told France Info radio it was sad that Chirac should be on trial at the end of his life. He said Chirac's political legacy dwarfed the allegations against him – and that the trial would hurt France's image.

Last year, Paris city hall dropped separate civil charges against Chirac following a $3 million settlement. Chirac, however, did not acknowledge any wrongdoing.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

These charges are trumped-up and are only being pressed because of heavy US pressure.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Slargos

He's French, and that's just one step removed from Sub-Saharan and that's almost like corruption guaranteed. You can put that in the bank.

Caliga

:yes: I thought this was just the way things worked in countries like France, Italy, Spain, etc. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 07, 2011, 08:50:33 AM
Not a Euro, but I'll bite.

He's been under suspicion for a while now, but he couldn't be indicted while he was in office.  Now, he has to stand trial.

Valid or not, it's up to the court to decide.  It has nothing to do with politics per see, meaning, he's not accused because he was theoritically member of a right-wing political party but because there seems to be evidences he did something wrong.

But in these kind of cases, it's hard to tell.  It's not like there's a receipt for "100 000 euros in exchange of a job".
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Duque de Bragança

Chiracaille is guilty but will get away with a technicality or a very  lenient fine. That said, until the mid '90s, there was no taxpayer funding for political parties so those jobs sometimes served that purpose.
He is a crook but a popular one now ;)

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: viper37 on March 07, 2011, 09:30:56 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 07, 2011, 08:50:33 AM

But in these kind of cases, it's hard to tell.  It's not like there's a receipt for "100 000 euros in exchange of a job".

That's why the Germans are never very good at corruption.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

grumbler

Chirac may be technically guilty of corruption, but not corruption-corruption.  He should be released and rewarded.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on March 07, 2011, 09:20:38 AM
:yes: I thought this was just the way things worked in countries like France, Italy, Spain, etc. :hmm:

France usually ranks around where we rank on the corruption indexes...for what that's worth.  But Slargos probably feels the same way about Kentuckians.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."