News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

N. Korea jammed GPS signal in S. Korea

Started by jimmy olsen, March 07, 2011, 12:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Serious business, Koreans use GPS to go everywhere.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41936721/ns/technology_and_science-security/
QuoteN. Korea jammed GPS signal in S. Korea, say reports
The disruption allegedly caused malfunction in mobile phones

Reuters
updated 3/6/2011 1:05:08 PM ET 2011-03-06T18:05:08

SEOUL — North Korea is responsible for the disruption of GPS signals in some part of South Korea's capital region last week that caused malfunctions in mobile phones, media reports quoted officials as saying on Sunday.

Communications officials could not say whether the North was behind separate cyber attacks on government websites including that of the presidential Blue House and the Defense Ministry since Friday that slowed or disabled them for hours.

If the North were responsible for either or both of the incidents, it could mark an escalation of tension between the rivals already high from two attacks on South Korean territory last year and ensuing exchange of threats of war and retaliation.

North Korea was suspected of a massive wave of cyber attacks on U.S. and South Korean government and corporate websites in 2009.

Signals intended to disrupt GPS and other wireless communications were detected originating in North Korea's border cities of Kaesong and Haeju on Friday, Yonhap news agency quoted military officials as saying.

The signals resulted in the disruption of some mobile phone functions that use GPS signals, such as network-based clocks, electronics devices used by artillery units in the South, and some equipment at commercial organizations, Yonhap quoted the officials as saying.

South Korea's Defense Ministry did not comment on the report.

The signal-scrambling may have been intended to disrupt the joint military drills by South Korean and U.S. forces that run until March 10, Yonhap said.

In a separate attack on personal computers, malicious software have been used in cyber attacks on some government agency Web sites since Friday, but no serious damage has been reported.

Telecommunications authorities and the police are working to determine the source of the software.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Neil

Why wouldn't they?  South Korea won't do anything about it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

I'd be ready to go to war if I was driving somewhere & suddenly lost my GPS signal because someone was screwing with it.  It's not that I can't navigate without it, but it completely sucks ass to be in the middle of a trip & then suddenly have your GPS flake out on you because it can't get a signal.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: derspiess on March 07, 2011, 11:08:58 AM
I'd be ready to go to war if I was driving somewhere & suddenly lost my GPS signal because someone was screwing with it.  It's not that I can't navigate without it, but it completely sucks ass to be in the middle of a trip & then suddenly have your GPS flake out on you because it can't get a signal.

:P
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Brazen

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Brazen on March 07, 2011, 12:27:48 PM
It was only solar flares.

I don't know. Jamming GPS signals is incredibly easy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 07, 2011, 11:45:11 AM
:P

Like I said, I can navigate.  But one of the reasons I got my GPS unit was so I wouldn't have to keep a bunch of old maps in the car. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on March 07, 2011, 02:15:16 PM
Like I said, I can navigate.  But one of the reasons I got my GPS unit was so I wouldn't have to keep a bunch of old maps in the car. 

I don't have a GPS unit and try not to keep a bunch of old maps in the car. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 08, 2011, 03:50:10 PM
I love old maps.

The older the better.

:bowler:

Not so useful for navigational purposes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on March 08, 2011, 03:45:39 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 07, 2011, 02:15:16 PM

I don't have a GPS unit and try not to keep a bunch of old maps in the car. :huh:
If you live in a large city and don't travel outside of it it's not really necessary if you know the city well.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point