News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Android Thread

Started by derspiess, March 06, 2011, 11:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2014, 10:54:38 AM
I checked my Nexus 7 this morning and nothing.  But I can't see anything about Lollipop that I *have* to have for it.  If performance is the same or better I'll be happy, though.
On my Nexus 10, performance does seem a bit better.  I'm basically ambivalent about the other (mostly cosmetic and interface) changes, though.  The lockscreen notifications are nice for phones (which is something iOS has already and I really like for my iPhone), but I don't see the value for a tablet.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Custom Motos.

Can Motorola be saved by this? It's a cool idea, but I dunno.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

My Sprint GS5 got an update, but it was just from 4.4 to 4.4.4 :mellow:

I did swap out my Otterbox Commuter case for the Magpul case, which I definitely prefer.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

My nexus 4 has been at 5.0 for 2 weeks now. There is incompatibility issue with French Canada language settings.

>_> Can't wait for 5.0.1
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

How do I send e-mails from my phone?  I have the M8, if that matters, but my old HTC one had the same problem.

I can receive my e-mails, but I can't send any when I'm out of the office.  If I'm plugged on my office network, I'm ok.  Once outside, on Telus network, not ok.

I'm configured for Imap on my phone, if that matters.  I used the same settings as provided by my ISP on its page for desktop e-mail clients.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on December 16, 2014, 09:13:10 PM
How do I send e-mails from my phone?  I have the M8, if that matters, but my old HTC one had the same problem.

I can receive my e-mails, but I can't send any when I'm out of the office.  If I'm plugged on my office network, I'm ok.  Once outside, on Telus network, not ok.

I'm configured for Imap on my phone, if that matters.  I used the same settings as provided by my ISP on its page for desktop e-mail clients.

It sounds like the imap ports are blocked by Telus.  When you're on your office network, you're in control of what ports are blocked, but when you're out on the Telus network, you're at the mercy of whatever ports they allow or that you can talk them into forwarding.  You might want to check with your ISP to see if they have a separate configuration that's more friendly to mobile networks.
Experience bij!

viper37

ok, I'll call Videotron first then, Telus if necessary.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Think I got it...
They use a different port than on a computer, and I need to use my email adress instead of the username the ISP gives me.

Zanza

Any suggestions for a mid-range Android phone (350-400 Euro price range). I was looking for the Nexus 5, but it seems they stopped producing it and it is hard to get a new one in Germany. :(

Syt

I like my Samsung Galaxy S4. I don't do anything too fancy with it, though (web surfing, Spotify, mostly).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Phillip V

Quote from: Zanza on December 28, 2014, 11:24:15 AM
Any suggestions for a mid-range Android phone (350-400 Euro price range). I was looking for the Nexus 5, but it seems they stopped producing it and it is hard to get a new one in Germany. :(

LG G3

http://www.amazon.de/LG-Smartphone-Quad-HD-IPS-Display-2-5-GHz-Quad-Core-Prozessor-13-Megapixel-Kamera/dp/B00KKM2UZG/

Ideologue

I just bought a cheap-ass LG Transpyre.  It can't be worse than the broke-ass Galaxy S2 it's replacing, nor the Verizon prepaid service (half the price) be worse than Sprint's ungodly-bad service.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

So, have you decided yet, Zanza?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on January 08, 2015, 03:57:08 AM
So, have you decided yet, Zanza?
Several friends suggested the Sony Z3 Compact. I am just looking for that.

DontSayBanana

Don't have any experience with the Z3 Compact, but I can second the G3 recommendation.  Personally, I hated every minute with the last small Android phone I had (of course, it didn't help that it was slow as molasses, but I haven't liked any of the compact phones I've come across lately, either), but YMMV.
Experience bij!