And we're back!

Main Menu

Android Thread

Started by derspiess, March 06, 2011, 11:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2013, 09:56:07 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on July 17, 2013, 09:47:47 PM
I've had the Galaxy S III for almost 2 weeks now. Love it, great upgrade from my old first gen galaxy.

I like mine a lot.  I just wish Sprint would hurry up & roll out LTE here in Cincy so I can actually get 4G on it.

According to Sensorly map, Sprint LTE has started to pop up in Cincinnati.

http://sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprint/lte_310sprint

Grey Fox

My Nexus 4 just got upgraded to 4.3 JB.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Phillip V on July 29, 2013, 04:36:56 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2013, 09:56:07 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on July 17, 2013, 09:47:47 PM
I've had the Galaxy S III for almost 2 weeks now. Love it, great upgrade from my old first gen galaxy.

I like mine a lot.  I just wish Sprint would hurry up & roll out LTE here in Cincy so I can actually get 4G on it.

According to Sensorly map, Sprint LTE has started to pop up in Cincinnati.

http://sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprint/lte_310sprint

I know-- that's what I keep hearing.  But for some stupid-ass reason they started in all the parts of town I don't frequent.  Heaven forbid they start downtown (where maybe I could actually use my f-ing phone during a game) or the east side where I live.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Anyway, I picked up my Nexus 7 yesterday.  Blazing fast and a beautiful display.  Gonna root it tonight if I have time.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Weijun

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it is worthwhile to flash a Galaxy S4 to Google Play Edition?  Would you go with 4.2.2 or 4.3?

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 30, 2013, 07:44:30 AM
My Nexus 4 just got upgraded to 4.3 JB.
Hasn't been available for my Galaxy S4 yet but got pushed to my Nexus 10 a few days ago.  Can't really tell a difference except it seems slightly faster and there appeared to be a new notes writing app.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

lustindarkness

What is the advantage, if any, to root a phone?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 01, 2013, 08:56:48 AM
What is the advantage, if any, to root a phone?

To most people, not much.  But rooting gives you the ability to do wireless tether to turn your phone into a wifi hotspot-- that's the biggie for me.  Plus you can run custom ROMs if you don't like the look and feel of whatever version of Android you're running.  And there are some other things, like overclocking your processor, mods/tweaks to increase battery life, etc.

Drawback is that you technically void your warranty in doing so, but you can un-root and revert back to factory settings if need be.

derspiess

Quote from: Weijun on July 31, 2013, 09:00:32 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it is worthwhile to flash a Galaxy S4 to Google Play Edition?  Would you go with 4.2.2 or 4.3?

4.3 has some cool features-- one apparently eliminates the Android version of "bit rot" to prevent your phone from running slower & slower as time goes on.  But you may run into an app here or there that does not support it yet.  My MLB at bat app doesn't stream video on my Nexus 7 running because it's not quite ready for 4.3 yet, but that may be an isolated incident.

lustindarkness

Ok, I get it now.
I can already use my phone as a hot spot, hell, I had an app on the old one that i could use to tether my laptop with. Yeah, for me, there is no need to bother with rooting/hacking my android.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Weijun

Quote from: derspiess on August 01, 2013, 09:28:55 AM
Quote from: Weijun on July 31, 2013, 09:00:32 PM

4.3 has some cool features-- one apparently eliminates the Android version of "bit rot" to prevent your phone from running slower & slower as time goes on.  But you may run into an app here or there that does not support it yet.  My MLB at bat app doesn't stream video on my Nexus 7 running because it's not quite ready for 4.3 yet, but that may be an isolated incident.
Much to be said for preventing slowdown.  I had also read that Samsung loads a huge amount of bloatware on the s4.  I guess I will need to comb through the Samsung software and see how much of it I actually use.

derspiess

Quote from: Weijun on August 02, 2013, 02:32:35 AM
Much to be said for preventing slowdown.  I had also read that Samsung loads a huge amount of bloatware on the s4.  I guess I will need to comb through the Samsung software and see how much of it I actually use.

They had a lot of bloatware on the S3.  Thankfully there wasn't much Sprint bloatware, but still a ton of Samsung apps I'll never use.  I can delete them (or "freeze" them using Titanium), but I keep meaning to try them out to see if they're useful for anything. 

lustindarkness

The only T-Mobile app I use is the account My Account one, takes me staright to my account. The rest are not needed. Samsung has a few other apps I don't use, of the already installed ones, I use the basic browser instead of chrome (I may jump to chrome later, maybe), google maps, the music player, and alarm/calendar/clock, etc widgets. Accuweather app it brought sucks, I use weatherbug.

The most used apps for me are the yahoo email, Kindle app, facebook, browser, maps, solitaire :). What else do y'all use?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

Maps, weather, Canadian Tire App & Chrome.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

The Samsung smartwatch doesn't look very smart. Clunky menus, it looked slow and it's not really very good looking.

I don't think I'll ever get a smartwatch, but I did say that about smartphones, too...
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk