And we're back!

Main Menu

The Great Union-Busting Thread

Started by Admiral Yi, March 06, 2011, 01:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Hansmeister on March 19, 2011, 05:20:54 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 17, 2011, 01:04:36 PM
Walker needs to learn to STFU.  President Obama doesn't offer jobs with any conditions to "federal employees" except political appointees, and Walker's a moron to try to draw this comparison.

I also note that walker continues to pretend that we won't notice that he is lying when he says what he believes about the necessity to get rid of the police and firefighters' unions.

This is not even a coherent statement.  :hmm:

I thought you were out killing people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: dps on March 19, 2011, 04:39:38 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 18, 2011, 07:43:28 PM
Is Wisconsin not in the US anymore?

Federal judges have no jurisdiction on whether or not actions violate state laws.  They only have jurisdiction on issues involving federal laws, or questions arising under the US Constitution.
Yeah, but any judge in the US is a US judge.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on March 20, 2011, 01:38:50 PM
As any judge living in Ontario is an Ontario judge.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 20, 2011, 01:56:01 PM
As any judge living in Ontario is an Ontario judge.
But also a Canadian judge.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: dps on March 19, 2011, 04:39:38 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 18, 2011, 07:43:28 PM
Is Wisconsin not in the US anymore?

Federal judges have no jurisdiction on whether or not actions violate state laws.  They only have jurisdiction on issues involving federal laws, or questions arising under the US Constitution.

??

jimmy olsen

I'll say this for Republicans, they always go for the kill. They inevitably overreach like this, but at least they try to enact the entirety of their agenda. The Dems barely even try.

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/03/23/buried-provision-food-stamps/

QuoteBuried Provision In House GOP Bill Would Cut Off Food Stamps To Entire Families If One Member Strikes

All around the country, right-wing legislators are asking middle class Americans to pay for budget deficits caused mainly by a recession caused by Wall Street; they are attacking workers' collective bargaining rights, which has provoked a huge Main Street Movement to fight back.

Now, a group of House Republicans is launching a new stealth attack against union workers. GOP Reps. Jim Jordan (OH), Tim Scott (SC), Scott Garrett (NJ), Dan Burton (IN), and Louie Gohmert (TX) have introduced H.R. 1135, which states that it is designed to "provide information on total spending on means-tested welfare programs, to provide additional work requirements, and to provide an overall spending limit on means-tested welfare programs."

Much of the bill is based upon verifying that those who receive food stamps benefits are meeting the federal requirements for doing so. However, one section buried deep within the bill adds a startling new requirement. The bill, if passed, would actually cut off all food stamp benefits to any family where one adult member is engaging in a strike against an employer:

The bill also includes a provision that would exempt households from losing eligibility, "if the household was eligible immediately prior to such strike, however, such family unit shall not receive an increased allotment as the result of a decrease in the income of the striking member or members of the household."

Yet removing entire families from eligibility while a single adult family member is striking would have a chilling effect on workers who are considering going on strike for better wages, benefits, or working conditions — something that is especially alarming in light of the fact that unions are one of the fundamental building blocks of the middle class that allow people to earn wages that keep them off food stamps.

With a record 42 million Americans on food stamps during these poor economic times, it appears that the right is simply looking for more ways to hurt working class Americans.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

That's just wrong.  I think everybody knows that I'm generally anti-union, but if the household is already eligible for food stamps, they shouldn't loose them just because someone in the house goes out on strike.  OTOH, if a household isn't already eligible, I don't think that they should become eligible if someone goes on strike.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on March 24, 2011, 04:00:22 AM
That's just wrong.  I think everybody knows that I'm generally anti-union, but if the household is already eligible for food stamps, they shouldn't loose them just because someone in the house goes out on strike.  OTOH, if a household isn't already eligible, I don't think that they should become eligible if someone goes on strike.

QuoteThe bill also includes a provision that would exempt households from losing eligibility, "if the household was eligible immediately prior to such strike, however, such family unit shall not receive an increased allotment as the result of a decrease in the income of the striking member or members of the household."

CountDeMoney

Partially fucked over instead of completely fucked over;  that's good enough for Yi.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 24, 2011, 07:16:25 AM
Partially fucked over instead of completely fucked over;  that's good enough for Yi.

The slogans you copy verbatim from Mother Jones work better than you ones you come up with yourself.

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 24, 2011, 02:08:54 AM
it appears that the right is simply looking for more ways to hurt working class Americans.

:lol:  What an absurd statement.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

I'll say this for Republicans, they always go for the kill. They inevitably overreach like this, but at least they try to enact the entirety of their agenda.

Always??  Up until this year the GOP way has been to half-ass their agenda, dropping the better parts of it while adding enough spending to appease the Dems.

QuoteThe Dems barely even try.

Right, like when they used every trick, loophole, etc. to pass Obamacare?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on March 24, 2011, 11:09:39 AM
I'll say this for Republicans, they always go for the kill. They inevitably overreach like this, but at least they try to enact the entirety of their agenda.

Always??  Up until this year the GOP way has been to half-ass their agenda, dropping the better parts of it while adding enough spending to appease the Dems.

QuoteThe Dems barely even try.

Right, like when they used every trick, loophole, etc. to pass Obamacare?
The Democratic base wanted at least a public option, if not single payer. Obamacare is the '94  GOP proposal.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2011, 06:52:42 AM
Quote from: dps on March 24, 2011, 04:00:22 AM

Ooops.

QuoteThe bill also includes a provision that would exempt households from losing eligibility, “if the household was eligible immediately prior to such strike, however, such family unit shall not receive an increased allotment as the result of a decrease in the income of the striking member or members of the household.”

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2011, 07:24:34 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 24, 2011, 07:16:25 AM

The slogans you copy verbatim from Mother Jones work better than you ones you come up with yourself.

Stop hating middle class America.  You don't make enough.