Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2015, 10:49:58 AM
Quote from: Josephus on September 12, 2015, 10:22:58 AM
The only weak one in her catalogue is the REd Shoes one

:o :o :o :o :o

Seriously? That's the only one I have a hard time listening to
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Kleves

Might be a new King Kong vs. Godzilla movie coming. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about that. Ide, thoughts?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Josephus

Speaking of the Coen Brothers, I saw Unbroken just now. (yes, they are listed in the screenwriters credits).

it was pretty good, if a bit too long...had a bit of everything...part Chariots of Fire, part Jaws, part Bridge on the River Kwai, part Passion of the Christ :D

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Quote from: Kleves on September 12, 2015, 03:27:16 PM
Might be a new King Kong vs. Godzilla movie coming. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about that. Ide, thoughts?

Could be fun--it's giant monsters fighting, and historically it's been kind of hard to fuck that up.  On the other hand, for my money one of the bigger instances of fucked-up kaiju films is the original 1960 King Kong vs. Godzilla, particularly the American version that cuts out the salaryman comedy and that great opening Universal Pictures logo joke.

Anyway, I thought they were bringing more Toho monsters back.  That's what I (and, I expect, everybody else) really want to see.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Isn't Godzllla many, many, many, many times the size of King Kong?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

Oh, the match is ridiculous.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Liep

Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Ridiculous. James Spader delivered some good lines. 4/10.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Started watching some of James Burke's 'Connections' - a modern documentary might deal with two or three concepts, repeating them a few times, Burke brings up 20-30 ideas or stories each episode, never once repeating the content, all at a breathless speed with plenty of humour, verbal as well as visual - Brilliant.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Attack on Titan/shingeki no kyoujin   -   The fanboy rage has been great with this one since months before it was even released. It has been quite funny really.
Some of the changes they made are interesting.
The whole thing being moved to a post apocalyptic Japan rather than a fantasy Europe...that actually seems to have been the original plan of the comic author. And it does let them do it on a much lower budget and helps them avoid telling exactly the same story- the fanboys evidently haven't seen another anime movie adaption, different versions of the same base idea is pretty common in such media.
Levi being replaced with another guy makes sense considering the angle they're taking.

I came in open minded. Excited even. Some of the trailers did look good. Just give me zip line action and
I'm happy.
The trouble with the film though... Not much really happens. It's the first of a two parter. And.. It's not like they even do much backstory in here. They just.... Talk and have romances and.... Yeah...

Some of the changes made to the titans too sit uneasy with me. I hope a comment made towards the end was just a character with a wrong theory and not an actual explanation....

The titan battles actually work on the positive side though. They look fake of course. But in a fun power rangersy/kaiju way.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Caught a little bit of Miss America and was pretty disappointed with the offerings.

celedhring

Saw Django Unchained again last night. It more or lest confirmed my first opinion; it's brilliant in places, but way too long.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on September 14, 2015, 02:13:39 AM
Saw Django Unchained again last night. It more or lest confirmed my first opinion; it's brilliant in places, but way too long.

Oh god yes. [spoiler]And while essential for Tarantino, I was done before the revenge plot ever got started.[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Kleves on September 12, 2015, 03:27:16 PM
Hate the idea with the firey passion of a thousand exploding suns.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Both characters should be played by costumed actors.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 14, 2015, 02:21:16 AM
Both characters should be played by costumed actors.
Or a trained gorilla and a komodo dragon.
PDH!