News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Does anyone else think "Last Week Tonight" with John Oliver is the best investigative journalism show on tv right now? It is purportedly a comedy show but it tackles more serious shit than a lot of technically "serious" tv shows.

Barrister

Last night I was bored, searching around on Netflix for something to watch, when I settled on Ideo's favourite movie: Flash Gordon.

I didn't care for it. :(

I mean I think I see the appeal for Ideo - it has a very definite aesthetic sense to it - a 1930s movie serials art deco look, combined with sheer 1970s-ness of it.

But even then it was cheaply done, the lead actor couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, and a story that didn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

'Tis a movie best seen with lots of people and lots of alcohol.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

It also gave us this amazing Brian Blessed interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa5L8YjsiSk
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

Appears to be a biopic of some painter nobody's heard of.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on May 02, 2015, 01:47:33 PM
Last night I was bored, searching around on Netflix for something to watch, when I settled on Ideo's favourite movie: Flash Gordon.

I mean I think I see the appeal for Ideo - it has a very definite aesthetic sense to it - a 1930s movie serials art deco look, combined with sheer 1970s-ness of it.

But even then it was cheaply done, the lead actor couldn't act his way out of a paper bag, and a story that didn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense.

fag
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

celedhring

Big Hero 6. Quite good, pleasantly surprised.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on May 02, 2015, 11:59:20 AM
Does anyone else think "Last Week Tonight" with John Oliver is the best investigative journalism show on tv right now? It is purportedly a comedy show but it tackles more serious shit than a lot of technically "serious" tv shows.

I saw the Snowden interview. It's sad that people have to boil the issue down to "the NSA is looking at your dick pics" to get the average American's attention, but it was good anyway.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

citizen k

the segment on "fast fashion" was pretty good and damning

Martinus

Quote from: citizen k on May 02, 2015, 10:51:25 PM

the segment on "fast fashion" was pretty good and damning

Yes, and so were the segments on big tobacco, or invigilation vs. security and many others.

The Brain

Saw Birdman. I liked it, great actors, but I think my expectations were a bit high. [spoiler]I felt that his insanity stuff didn't add anything vital to the movie.[/spoiler]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on May 02, 2015, 01:47:33 PM

HARUMPH.

QuoteI mean I think I see the appeal for Ideo - it has a very definite aesthetic sense to it - a 1930s movie serials art deco look, combined with sheer 1970s-ness of it.

I found it pretty easy to follow. :P

Anyway, it's a great story about teamwork (my girlfriend rephrased this as about "transcending identity politics"), and that production and costume design simply cannot be beat. :wub:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Into the Woods. Cute concept, songs didn't really add anything.

FunkMonk

Babadook

4 creepy children's books out of 5
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.