News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

I wish the show had the current pacing since day one.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 28, 2014, 07:24:56 AM
Look how quickly the Terminus thread came and went.

And thank goodness for that.  A whole season of trying to escape from them would have been very boring.  I like the pace of the show now and I am interested to see what the new direction is going to be.

Syt

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=56670

QuoteAfter the trailer, Feige pointed out that "Age of Ultron" writer/director Joss Whedon was in the audience, which the crowd was very happy to hear. Feige mentioned that "Guardians of the Galaxy" was the 10th Marvel Studios film -- and the highest-grossing domestic movie of 2014 thus far -- something that "blows his mind." "What James Gunn did with that movie exceeded all of our expectations," Feigie added.

Feige also briefly talked the upcoming release of "Ant-Man," set for July 17, 2015. But he said he wasn't there to tell people things they already knew.

"Let's talk about Phase Three," Feige said. First revelation: The full title of the third "Captain America" film is "Captain America: Serpent Society," which is scheduled for May 6, 2016.

Announced officially for Nov. 4, 2016: "Doctor Strange," which gets a logo reveal on the screen. "I think I've been talking about 'Doctor Strange' since the day I was born," Feige said. "Because I love it, because it's very important to us, and because it takes us a while to work on these movies.

"Guardians of the Galaxy 2" has a new release date: May 5, 2017. The film was originally announced for July of that year. A short video from Gunn plays on the screen, telling the fans he wanted to spend the "whole summer" with them.

Coming in July 28, 2017: "Thor: Ragnaro."

"Chris Hemsworth is returning as Thor, of course Tom HIddleston returning as Loki," Feige said. "This is a very important movie for us in the Phase Three timeline," he continued, comparing it to how "Captain America: Winter Soldier" also changed the course of Marvel Studios. The film will pick up where things are left off for Thor in "Avengers: Age of Ultron."

"Black Panther" is made official for Nov. 3, 2017 -- "T'Challa himself, and all of Wakanda" -- is coming to theaters on . "We have already started seeding things in the films leading up to this moment," Feige said, calling Black Panther one of the most exciting and integral Marvel characters. The film will be about the "isolationist nation" of Wakanda meeting the rest of the world, which may go well and may not.

Another new character joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe: "Captain Marvel," set for July 6, 2018. "I want to make it very clear that this Captain Marvel's name is Carol Danvers," Feige said. This film has been in development alomst as long as "Guardians of the Galaxy," according to Feige, who said the character straddles two worlds -- Earth-bound origins and outer space adventures.

If that weren't enough, the Marvel Studios head announced a slew of new films that are sure to excite fans -- by way of an Infinity Gauntlet onscreen with the next two "Avengers" films on the stack: "Avengers: Infinity War" parts one and two -- Part 1 hits May 2018, Part 2 in May 2019.

In fact, that wasn't even close to all: Feige was joking about the subtitle for the "Captain America" movie, and confirmed that "Captain America 3" is actually "Captain America: Civil War."

Chad Boseman was confirmed as playing the Black Panther, and came onstage alongside Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

"confirmed that "Captain America 3" is actually "Captain America: Civil War."

Cap goes back in time to fight Hydra who are behind the Southern State's desire to secede from the Union?  Woah!  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on October 28, 2014, 06:04:18 PM

Cap goes back in time to fight Hydra who are behind the Southern State's desire to secede from the Union?  Woah!  :P

How Timmaytacular.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: viper37 on October 28, 2014, 06:04:18 PM

Screenplay by Harry Turtledove.

The Larch

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on October 24, 2014, 01:42:13 PM
Phantom of the Opera (1925)

This time through I was really impressed by Lon Chaney's performance.  Not only was his make up among the best in his career (he did all his own make up) but most of his performance is done without any facial expression since the phantom is usually masked.

A tidbit I read somewhere, and can't confirm, is that Chaney also designed the masks--and that they subtly vary based on the scene and the emotion he's meaning to convey.

QuoteThe print I saw had soprano arias playing whenever either Christine or Carlotta were supposed to be singing.  Of course the song didn't match up to their mouths, so it was a little odd.

Well, the 1929 version is the sound reissue--the actual sound discs no longer sync, but iirc there is a release that attempts to replicate it.  Did it have the opening narrator (the man with the lantern)?  That's the explanation for that guy's existence, btw.

One of the versions I have (the Image Entertainment BD comes with three scores) has the singing turning into a scream representing Carlotta, but I don't know how faithful it is to the "original" sound reissue.

QuoteThe Bal Masque (in glorious two tone color) is one of the greatest scenes in silent film; Ide was right about that.

Technicolor Process 2 is the shit for horror. :wub:  (For pirate adventure, well, I've discussed that. :P ) I'm probably going to pick up Murders in the Wax Museum shortly in order to check out its feature-length use of Process 3 (largely indistinguishable, I take it; also a red-green process).

QuoteNow I'm wishing he were somehow here again.   :(

I'm around.

Anyway, there's basically no title that could get my hopes up, and no final film likelier to dash them, than "The Avengers: Infinity War." :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Scipio

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 27, 2014, 09:48:34 PM
The show isn't really about zombies anyway.  They just serve the function of the "dues ex machina"...they could just as well be full-scale nuclear war or a meteor destroying the climate. 

The zombies are just like really bad weather that forces the human drama to do what it does.
Which is be fucking stupid.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

I'm watching the short series of shorts "Montreal Boy: Some Strings Attached" that was apparently put together in joint partnership between LogoTV and Tourisme Montréal. I'm a little confused as I guess it is Montreal trying to get more tourists?

Features a resident of Montreal who meets a New Yorker online. In an awkward moment the Montrealer sort of jokingly invites the New Yorker. Next thing we know, New Yorker is texting to say that he is in Montreal.  Is that what Montreal thinks of the residents of New York? We're so desperate we'll catch the next flight up the moment some invites us in French? :angry: :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on October 28, 2014, 07:42:20 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on October 24, 2014, 01:42:13 PM
Phantom of the Opera (1925)

This time through I was really impressed by Lon Chaney's performance.  Not only was his make up among the best in his career (he did all his own make up) but most of his performance is done without any facial expression since the phantom is usually masked.

A tidbit I read somewhere, and can't confirm, is that Chaney also designed the masks--and that they subtly vary based on the scene and the emotion he's meaning to convey.

I haven't heard that before, but that does seem likely.  Chaney was a master of props and make up.

QuoteThe print I saw had soprano arias playing whenever either Christine or Carlotta were supposed to be singing.  Of course the song didn't match up to their mouths, so it was a little odd.

Well, the 1929 version is the sound reissue--the actual sound discs no longer sync, but iirc there is a release that attempts to replicate it.  Did it have the opening narrator (the man with the lantern)?  That's the explanation for that guy's existence, btw.

One of the versions I have (the Image Entertainment BD comes with three scores) has the singing turning into a scream representing Carlotta, but I don't know how faithful it is to the "original" sound reissue.

There wasn't the opening narrator; but in the version I saw Carlotta's singing does turn into a scream.  IIRC there should be a scene of the Phantom's red cloak on the rooftop during the Bal Masque; that also wasn't present in the version I just saw.

QuoteThe Bal Masque (in glorious two tone color) is one of the greatest scenes in silent film; Ide was right about that.

Technicolor Process 2 is the shit for horror. :wub:  (For pirate adventure, well, I've discussed that. :P ) I'm probably going to pick up Murders in the Wax Museum shortly in order to check out its feature-length use of Process 3 (largely indistinguishable, I take it; also a red-green process).

Mystery of the Wax Museum is a great film. :thumbsup:  I prefer that to the House of Wax.  The then contemporary setting of Mystery of the Wax Museum works better than the period piece House of Wax; and given that House of Wax stars Vincent Price, its' not exactly difficult to figure out the villain.

QuoteNow I'm wishing he were somehow here again.   :(

I'm around.

Anyway, there's basically no title that could get my hopes up, and no final film likelier to dash them, than "The Avengers: Infinity War." :(

Welcome back :cheers:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point