News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Inclined to believe the Argies if Jeremy Clarkson was the one driving that.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on October 03, 2014, 08:40:15 AM
On the other hand, October is rife with (potentially) awesome new releases: Gone Girl, John Wick, Space Station 76, Fury.

John Wick looks interesting from the trailers.  I have to admit I have Keanu Reeves compartmentalized in much the same way as your misplaced bromance with Ethan Hawke;  yeah, he has a tremendous number of limitations and is often overpowered and outshined by the actors surrounding him, but he makes fun movies, works well within his roles and I like them.

Ideologue

I like Keanu a lot.  He's got his range, and he works well within it, what's wrong with that?  Nothing, except casting him outside of it, e.g., Dracula.  He's good in his action roles (Matrix, Speed, Point Blank) and obviously gifted comedically (and I get the impression from the trailer that Wick will be rather funny despite the decision to smear blue-gray all over everything).

Speaking of Hawke, apparently he's got a super-secret movie that premiered to little audible fanfare at SXSW and was released in Australia a couple of months ago, called Predestination, about a time-traveling cop, or "timecop," as it were. :hmm:

Gonna go see Gone Girl tonight. :w00t:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on October 03, 2014, 07:21:04 PM
(and I get the impression from the trailer that Wick will be rather funny despite the decision to smear blue-gray all over everything).

There are few premises better for a revenge flick than cars and dogs.

Ideologue

I really, really wish it wasn't a dog his dead wife had bought him.  That cheapens it, don't you think?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on October 03, 2014, 07:21:04 PM
Gonna go see Gone Girl tonight. :w00t:

That's next on my list.  Might have to drive 45 minutes to catch it, though.  <_<
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on October 03, 2014, 07:28:21 PM
I really, really wish it wasn't a dog his dead wife had bought him.  That cheapens it, don't you think?

No.  It provides depth to motivation.  It cheapens it to you because you're a snot-nosed shit.

Ideologue

I thought of all people you'd etc.

It's just more cliche and, likewise, unnecessary.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

The movie that breaks moviemaking paradigms only comes along once every 15 or 20 years, so to be annoyed at plot cliches--particularly tried and true ones that are formulaic because they work--is like being surprised that rush hour traffic is so slow.

Ideologue

I'm just saying it could just be his dog, and that's cooler.

Better yet, his cat.
Kinemalogue

Syt

The Black Hole.

That one was a childhood favorite of mine. Obviously, it's your mad scientist in a spooky castle story IN SPAAAACE!

The acting and dialogue is between mediocre and hilarious, right from the start with its bad exposition spout. Not to mention their mission to search for "habitable life", like the crew were a bunch of parasites.

Still, where the movie shines is its production design.

The gothic, castle like design of the USS Cygnus:

The weird looking bridge and controls, probably designed by Mondrian?

And the robots:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I think the "Heaven and Hell" sequence of the film's ending is absolutely mesmerizing too. And yeah, the production design is really great. It's a pity, as you say, that drama is almost non-existent during most of the film, and the dialogue is ridiculous; but it's a Disney production from the times when Disney wasn't afraid of doing stuff that would absolutely terrify children.

Syt

Oh, absolutely (though it maybe tried a bit hard at being as weird as the 2001 ending).

I hear a remake is in the works. I wonder how that will be. :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.