News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Suds (1920)

In 1918 Mary Pickford made a film called "Stella Maris" in which she plays two roles, a lovely invalid and a homely maid.  In this film the homely maid make up is reused, and Mary plays an ugly cockney washerwoman.  The plot wanders about quite, it mostly serves as a backdrop for Mary to clown around.  She does so quite a bit, going so far as to put a horse in curlers and ride the horse around her apartment.

The setting is remarkable; the studio did an incredible job of recreating London's East End in a Hollywood lot.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Helfer, Texas Ranger

We follow Tricia Helfer, as a Texas Ranger, during 8 weeks for wich she will aprehend 8 different Killer Woman (the exact title of the show).  She's smart, she's beautiful, she's tough and she knows how to handle a gun.  The perfect American women (except she's really a Canadian).

So, what's wrong in the show?  In the first ep, she's seen handling her personal life: brother, sister in law that wants her more feminine, little niece who asks questions she shouldn't ask, job related stress, illegally crossing the border to Mexico in order to free hostages and solve a case.

This is what's wrong, unfortunately, it's all Déjà vu in a bunch of similar themed tv shows.  Sure, she's a good actress, she's proven it since Battlestar Galactica (it's ok Neil, she's not the one doing Starbuck ;) ).  The problem is not with her or the cast, just the stories and the way they're presented.  I don't think I'll watch the 2nd episode.

Btw, I've thrown the ball on Almost Human.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

Ide, Can we get a review of

Stalingrad (2013)

Is it Za Rodina!! or Mikhail Bayski?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Starbuck was a man!

I don't hold anything against the Cylons though, except for maybe Boomer.  They thought that they could give away the parts of two black men and give them to a white guy and an Asian woman?  Super-racist.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

OH SWEET JESUS, I LOOKED UP HER NEKKID PICS. MY EYES
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

On the one hand you got to give credit to a woman who's not afraid to show it as it is, and doesn't starve herself to present herself in the image of Languish's perfect woman.

On the other hand, she may be an inspiration to other fat, not-so-attractive young women to do the same thing. :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Languishites return from Google Image Search of Lena Dunham.

FunkMonk

A friend of mine loves that Girls show and lent me the first season. I barely made it through the first episode.

Actually I stilled haven't returned it to her and it's been lying on my shelf for two months.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 10, 2014, 06:39:14 PM
A friend of mine loves that Girls show and lent me the first season. I barely made it through the first episode.

Actually I stilled haven't returned it to her and it's been lying on my shelf for two months.  :lol:

Hit her.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 10, 2014, 06:43:38 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on January 10, 2014, 06:39:14 PM

Hit her.

I'll let her know your thoughts on the subject.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Queequeg

Whatever.  Allison Williams is gorgeous. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Some of the girls in the show are cute.  The Jew and the WASP are both pretty cute.