And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

kick-ass 2: I  have a problem. I never get to see films when they're at the cinema and then I totally forget they were ever made. The other day I only just remembered this one existed and I wanted to see it.
Its very good. I like it. It also features the funniest rape scene ever.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on January 02, 2014, 10:32:07 AM
It also features the funniest rape scene ever.

I find this very hard to believe.

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on January 02, 2014, 02:07:57 AM
Also watched Steamboat Bill, Jr. (1928).  At turns extremely funny, but what raises this up to the status of a genuine classic is that amazing, I mean amazing, tornado sequence that climaxes the film.  I don't even know how they did some of it, and I'm pretty sure Keaton could have died for some of those gags.  Movies are rarely if ever made like this anymore, but they were made like this once, and they were awesome.

A

The house falling on Buster Keaton is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.  That was a full weight wall which would have killed Buster if it had been slightly off.  IMDB says that half his production crew walked off the set rather than be part of such a dangerous stunt.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Maladict on January 02, 2014, 03:58:55 AM
Rewatched Das Boot after reading the book. I really liked it the first time so figured it would still be fine now. It's not  :(
149, 209 or 293 minutes version?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

True Heart Susie (1919)

This is a pastoral film directed by DW Griffith and starring Lilian Gish as a plain country girl.  In order to be plain Lilian has only the front of her lips painted and sucks in her cheeks; which makes it look like she's giving us Blue Steel throughout the picture.  She and Robert Harron are childhood sweethearts in a small town.  She sells her cow so that she may send him to college (which she does as an anonymous benefactor.)  He returns and falls for a "Fast" girl from Chicago.  They have a miserable marriage and the fast girl dies of pneumonia after sneaking out to a party.  Robert eventually realizes that he always loved Lilian and they live happily ever after.   :)

The very first inter-title card reads:  Do men look for the true heart in women? Or are most of them caught by the net of paint, powder and suggestive clothes?  The film teaches us that it's what's inside that counts and not glitz or glamor; a truly wonderful message coming from Hollywood, CA.

Despite the maudlin story and dubious message the film is enjoyable.  Griffith and Gish give the film the sparkle it needs.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

John Carter

Å - What the fuck did I just watch??!?

But seriously, it was totally decent.

Savonarola

Hoodoo Ann (1916)

Mae Marsh ("Little Sister" from "Birth of a Nation") is Ann an orphan who was brought to the orphanage on a Friday the 13th.  All the other orphans pick on her (and when you're being bullied by orphans you know you're a loser.)  The African-American maid tells her that she has a hoodoo on her that won't be lifted until she's married; after which Ann will have trouble enough without a hoodoo.  Meanwhile in the town a married couple is fighting and drinking hard cider.  Meanwhile in another part of the town a boy longs to be an cartoonist, but his father says no.  Meanwhile in still another part of the town an older couple mourns their lost daughter.

Somehow all these threads tie together; first the orphanage catches fire, Ann saves one of the girls (who was her worst tormentor) and she's adopted to the older couple.  The older couple lives next door to the young artist who begins courting Ann.  They go to the movies and see a western.  The next day Ann dresses up as the heroine and plays around with a gun she finds lying around (it's the Florida school of gun safety.)  The gun goes off in the direction of the cider drinking couples house (also a next door neighbor as it turns out.)  Ann thinks she's shot the man of the house and hilarity ensues but everything works out in the end.

There's way too much going on, and none of it seems to connect together until well into the films 60 minute run time. 

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on January 02, 2014, 01:21:23 PM
Hoodoo Ann (1916)

Mae Marsh ("Little Sister" from "Birth of a Nation") is Ann an orphan who was brought to the orphanage on a Friday the 13th.  All the other orphans pick on her (and when you're being bullied by orphans you know you're a loser.)  The African-American maid tells her that she has a hoodoo on her that won't be lifted until she's married; after which Ann will have trouble enough without a hoodoo.  Meanwhile in the town a married couple is fighting and drinking hard cider.  Meanwhile in another part of the town a boy longs to be an cartoonist, but his father says no.  Meanwhile in still another part of the town an older couple mourns their lost daughter.

Somehow all these threads tie together; first the orphanage catches fire, Ann saves one of the girls (who was her worst tormentor) and she's adopted to the older couple.  The older couple lives next door to the young artist who begins courting Ann.  They go to the movies and see a western.  The next day Ann dresses up as the heroine and plays around with a gun she finds lying around (it's the Florida school of gun safety.)  The gun goes off in the direction of the cider drinking couples house (also a next door neighbor as it turns out.)  Ann thinks she's shot the man of the house and hilarity ensues but everything works out in the end.

There's way too much going on, and none of it seems to connect together until well into the films 60 minute run time.

A hoodoo?

:unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

Quote from: viper37 on January 02, 2014, 11:45:57 AM
Rewatched Das Boot after reading the book. I really liked it the first time so figured it would still be fine now. It's not  :(

209. After reading the book I can understand why the author didn't like it.

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on January 02, 2014, 01:29:05 PM
A hoodoo?

:unsure:

Hoodoo is also a collection of folk beliefs and magic; in the case of the film it's used to mean a curse.  Hoodoo is usually found in the American south and as such has a connection with blues music and later some variants of rock and roll.  Chuck Berry says that he's going to have a gypsy woman send out a worldwide hoodoo in "30 Days" and CCR says that they're "Chasing a hoodoo down there" in "Born on the Bayou."

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on January 02, 2014, 01:14:48 PM
John Carter

psst, non-scandies don't know that Å is the last letter of the alphabet.
psst2, scandies don't know that F is the worst possible character
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Quote from: Viking on January 02, 2014, 01:50:27 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 02, 2014, 01:14:48 PM
John Carter

psst, non-scandies don't know that Å is the last letter of the alphabet.
psst2, scandies don't know that F is the worst possible character

Sigh.

Ed Anger

Quote from: viper37 on January 02, 2014, 11:45:57 AM

They all suck
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I saw Anchorman 2 last week.  I liked it.  The first one was better though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points