TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 29, 2013, 06:33:29 PM
Uh, the one without the vestigal Brooklyn accent.  The more librarian looking one.

Natalie.  :perv:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 29, 2013, 04:51:19 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 29, 2013, 04:42:17 PM
Brian Cox is a lot creepier than Anthony Hopkins, but it's not in the same league as Silence; Clarice is a much more interesting character, Foster a better actress, Todd Levine's performance is one of the creepiest in movie history.  It's also a lot more convincing than any other serial killer performance in the Lecter movies.
I prefer Cox to Hopkins (especially after Hannibal) but I love the way Manhunter's shot and its whole atmosphere. It's wonderful slightly scuzzy 80s noir.

Also, a little controversially, I prefer Will Graham to Clarice.
I love Mann, and think he has done real classics, but William Peteresen is a mediocre actor, and even though I think the character of Graham is great it's much better served by Hugh Dancy and Ed Norton, and there's a big difference between the thrill of 80s cheese and a real classic like Silence. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Berkut

Saw Saving Mr. Banks today. It was quite good.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ideologue

I should've given Tangled an A+.

Eventually I'll get around to writing up some of the Disney films, and also the Christmas movies that came out that I haven't seen yet, including 47 Ronin, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, and The Wolf of Wall Street.  Also I desperately need to see Inside Llewyn Davis and Her when they come to the Real America.

For the present, some older stuff:

The Passion of the Christ (2004).  Merry belated Christmas!  Took me till the 27th or so to actually get something I was happy to have up, although I did manage to post the crappy version on the 25th. :blush: The reason for the season

A

Stoker (2013).  Park Chan-Wook's unsuccessful American debut.  I think it was his American debut anyway; it's definitely not very successful.  Damn near killed her!

C+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

I really don't think Latin sounds better than Greek.  :unsure:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on December 30, 2013, 12:58:04 AM

The Passion of the Christ (2004).  Merry belated Christmas!  Took me till the 27th or so to actually get something I was happy to have up, although I did manage to post the crappy version on the 25th. :blush: The reason for the season

Really enjoyed this review
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Kind of ashamed that I understood the Serenity reference in the title of the Only God Forgives review.

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on December 30, 2013, 02:37:04 AM
I really don't think Latin sounds better than Greek.  :unsure:

It does for The Passion, was my point.  Greek would be incomprehensible to average folk; Latin isn't, and double for Catholics.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 30, 2013, 03:35:45 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 30, 2013, 12:58:04 AM

Really enjoyed this review

:hug:

Quote from: QQKind of ashamed that I understood the Serenity reference in the title of the Only God Forgives review.

^_^

I finished my reivew for The Host (2013), too, complete with a retrospective on Andrew Niccol's failing, flailing career, and how it used to be that he was really cool.

Earth vs. Rape

D

Now comment, suckas.  I think it moves me up google searches and I require more traffic to feed my boundless egoism.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on December 30, 2013, 04:40:38 AM
Now comment, suckas.  I think it moves me up google searches and I require more traffic to feed my boundless egoism.
It is impossible to comment, as they want some sort of account.  So too bad.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

lustindarkness

47 Ronin, enjoyed it, visually awesome. Not as bad as critics say it is.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom