News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on October 02, 2013, 03:48:40 PM
Inacurate.  It should have said 8 weeks, at least.

No, seriously, cancer gets you in right away. Its one of those diseases where 8 weeks matter. Or.. maybe the Norwegian Universal Health Care System is just less inefficient than the canadian one? With my mom it was, go home, pack a bag, treatment begins in the morning.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2013, 06:21:07 PM
Pretending to care is all I think you can realistically ask for, and even that's pushing it.

Also, she was hot and >120lbs.

My conclusions from this are

1. Ide is a fake, going for tits over history trivia knowledge
2. Ide is a fake, willing to accept fake trivia knowledge.

just admit it, all you want is the tits, the rest is rationalization.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on October 02, 2013, 06:18:50 PM
hmm.. why she singles out the hittites when pretty much every body except the egyptians got wiped out in a similar way suggests to me that she fails at bluffing as a history nerd.

Edit: sorry, not a keeper.

:lol:

As far as I see it, there's two main strikes against her:
1 Being a fictional character
2 Having been an adult in 1977
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 02, 2013, 06:25:28 PM
hmm.. why she singles out the hittites when pretty much every body except the egyptians got wiped out in a similar way suggests to me that she fails at bluffing as a history nerd.

Everybody has flaws, Eddie.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Anyway, did the Sea Peoples actually even destroy the Hittites?  I understand that they were undone by invasions from the east (and that the last successor kingdom dominated by Hittites was taken down by Assyrians).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2013, 06:33:10 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 02, 2013, 06:25:28 PM

Everybody has flaws, Eddie.

I assume you're aware she was played by one of the stars of 'Cagney and Lacy' ? :unsure:

Also did you mention Don Siegel  in your review?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Watching the Quatermass TV series, for something made in 1978, it's holding up quite well. Found it on youtube.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Homeland.

Thought season 3 got off to a good start, though I hope they gloss over the blooming teenage romance bit.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 02, 2013, 02:58:59 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2013, 02:53:47 PM
Fair enough.  But bear in mind there's a whole age of consent between when it was released and when I was born.

Heh, my mother has always had two movie crushes:  Omar Sharif and James Garner.  I think I saw everything Garner had already done by the time I was 12.

Garner is the shit.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Queequeg

Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2013, 06:35:12 PM
Anyway, did the Sea Peoples actually even destroy the Hittites?  I understand that they were undone by invasions from the east (and that the last successor kingdom dominated by Hittites was taken down by Assyrians).
The transition to the Iron Age is a complete mess.  Once the Temples go quiet there's only the physical record, and they don't do much. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

WHEDON'S Agents of S.E.R.E.N.I.T.Y Season 2 Ep 2 plot summary

Mal Coulson and his crew of the the Firefly class transport "Bus" have been contracted by the local Alliance government to transport a potentially dangerous potentially alien artifact from a planet on the rim to a containment facility. Not only is the cargo dangerous but the planet is too where a local resistance movement. Zoe Skye explains to Jeyne Ward that the rebels are justified. When extracting the object they are confronted by armed men who turn out to be local militia loyal to the alliance and they are led by a female Browncoat friend of Mal Coulson's. Inara couldn't be found to be jelous since she is over at Homeland being super hot and pretending not to be brazilian. The gang are then attacked by the rebels and they only just manage to escape to "Bus" by driving their vehicle up the ramp. Once in orbit they proceed to register their flight plan with the alliance which is expecting them and they are flying through heavily patrolled space. In converstation with his old comrade Mal Coulson realizes that his old comrade is plotting to steal the artifact. The crew are disabled and the crew of the Bus are tied in the cargo hold and Mal Coulson is threatened with them being spaced unless he gives the correct code to the Alliance to allow the Bus to escape out of this heavily patrolled space. He refuses. Meanwhile River Mei, who had been drugged when the crew was subdued since she had been playing with Wash's dinosaurs in the locked cockpit when the badguys injected gas to knock out Wash who was flying, wakes up, and does her ultra violent hoo-doo combined with Kaylee "science friends" knowledge of the ship and Jeyne Ward's brute violence and Zoe Skyes creativity manage to subdue the gunmen by blowing hole in the side of serenity with the alien device. This is all done after previously in the episode the contrasting styles and philosophy of these characters is established. With Mal Coulson disarming the bad guy boss just before Cavalry Tam enters the dining room with a big axe.

It is revealed that big bad had worked with <insert season 2 bad guy> to get the weapon to try and dominate the planet. Mal Coulson lets the alliance have the weapon since they are going to destroy it. The alliance fixes the Bus and our crew move on to new adventures establishing the complicated reality that the Alliance isn't the evil empire, that not all Brownjackets were good guys and that the crew has learned how to work together as a team better.

sadly this never happend, and the script was recycled for Marvel Agents of SHIELD

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2013, 02:00:06 PM
Telefon (1977).  Donald Pleasance is a Soviet agent gone rogue and Charles Bronson is the KGB's solution to their problem.  Taking a page from The Manchurian Candidate, the Soviets have placed 51 deep, deep cover sabotage operatives within the U.S., and all of them have been subjected to drug induced hypnosis that makes them believe that they are, in fact, Americans.  Pleasance, in a fit of ego, is activating them over the telephone, one at a time, for reasons not immediately clear.  To fans of Quentin Tarantino or, I guess, poetry, the trigger phrase is strikingly familiar:

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep
Do you hear that, ________?
Miles to go before you sleep

Some twists happen, but in the end Harmonica kills the shit out of Ernst Blofeld.  It's a pretty cool movie.  I enjoyed the use of a Soviet spy as the hero, which struck me as different.  Also, there is a CIA analyst who may be my favorite female character in just about any movie, who talks to computers and tells her boss "This is exactly what led to the downfall of the Hittite Empire!"  Marry me, fictional lady. :wub:

B

P.S. Roughly on par with The Conversation, but certainly more entertaining throughout.  It's on Youtube; there is no DVD release apparently.

Liked the movie, but the book was better.

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on October 02, 2013, 10:28:44 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2013, 06:35:12 PM
The transition to the Iron Age is a complete mess.  Once the Temples go quiet there's only the physical record, and they don't do much.

Yeah.  We don't even know who the Sea Peoples are, and if they are the same people attacked the Hittites.  The Egyptians are the guys who named them and they weren't always honest about stuff like that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Watching the episode of ST: Voyager with Sarah Silverman. Also Ed Begley Jr tortures the holographic doctor.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers