News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

The new Tim Allen show is on right now. Am I tripping, or is that the same set as Home Improvement? The house looks the same.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2013, 01:03:58 PM
Flipping channels, and Barry Lyndon is on.

Should've shot that sniveling little shit in the face.

It's probably Ryan O'Neal's best movie, precisely because he plays a stiff unlikable prick. But it's so beautifully shot. It's like visiting an art gallery with period paintings.  :wub:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on August 23, 2013, 10:58:52 PM
It's probably Ryan O'Neal's best movie, precisely because he plays a stiff unlikable prick. But it's so beautifully shot. It's like visiting an art gallery with period paintings.  :wub:

I think it's Kubrick's best myself, but I have to wait for Ide to deconstruct it first before I make an actual ruling.

Neil

I hate Ide's most recent review, since it contains a lot of his fucked up morality.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2013, 06:32:46 PM
Perfect working hours for me would be 11-7.

That's my daily shift at the pharmacy!  :hug:

11B4V

Internet Loses It Over Ben Affleck as Batman
He wasn't exactly Twitter's first choice

(Newser) – Ben Affleck was revealed as the newest Batman last night (he'll play the Dark Knight in the next Superman movie, a sequel to this year's Man of Steel expected in 2015, the Wall Street Journal reports), and let's just say the Internet is not happy. Twitter users bemoaned the choice; indeed, someone even started a Change.org petition begging Warner Bros. to change its mind. There's a mock "Ben Affleck Batman" Twitter account and, the Guardian reports, the hashtag #BetterBatmanThanBenAffleck started trending; some of the suggestions included a member of boy band One Direction, Butt-head from MTV's Beavis and Butt-head, and "ANYONE ELSE, with the exception of Ryan Reynolds." Some of our favorite Twitter reactions:

@robfee: "I fell asleep & when I woke up Ben Affleck was Batman. I'm afraid if I sleep again Paul Walker will be The Hulk & Grumpy Cat will be Thor."
    @MIKEBLACKATTACK: "You'd think having your parents murdered before your eyes would be the worst thing that could happen to Batman."
    @ledjessica: "What's with the Ben-Affleck-as-Batman furor? The bottom of his face fits the bill perfectly."
    @LorraineELLE: "I am worried about the beard."
    @LifeisSavage: "They better make sure Ben Affleck's Batman suit utility belt has some acting skills in one of the pockets."
    @aliarikan: "Just told my girlfriend Ben Affleck is the new Batman. Her response: "You are 35 years old. I want you to think about what you just said."
    @billyeichner: "How dare Ben Affleck ruin the integrity of a franchise where a grown man pretends he's a bat!"
    @badbanana: "Be thankful Ben Affleck said yes. You know James Franco was next on that list."
    @GeekOutpost: "'Ben Affleck as Batman isn't a bad idea. He was great in DareDevil!' - No one."
    @pattonoswalt: "'You like apples, Riddl-ah?' You can totally use that one, @BenAffleck."
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Personally, I can't imagine that Affleck is worse than Val Kilmer as Bats.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Viking

Quote from: Syt on August 24, 2013, 01:25:39 AM

I don't think we should prejudge. It's just the cases of fan rage over Batman casting have all proven themselves fantastically wrong. The fans hated Michael Keaton, Heath Ledger and Ann Hathaway and all three castings were inspired.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2013, 01:03:58 PM
Flipping channels, and Barry Lyndon is on.

Should've shot that sniveling little shit in the face.

can't we just get on with it and officially designate Barry Lyndon as Languish's Official Favorite Movie (tm)

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

Quote from: Viking on August 24, 2013, 02:03:21 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 24, 2013, 01:25:39 AM

I don't think we should prejudge. It's just the cases of fan rage over Batman casting have all proven themselves fantastically wrong. The fans hated Michael Keaton, Heath Ledger and Ann Hathaway and all three castings were inspired.

I liked a German commentator's take. He pointed out that Affleck for a while was pretty successful in indie movies before turning to mainstream blockbusters, and that this is his attempt to be taken seriously again as an actor.

He could be following in Leonardo Di Caprio's footsteps, who went from indie actor to boy toy (Romeo & Juliet, Titanic ...) to recognized "serious" actor. (Or his friend Matt Damon's.)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Viking

BTW, Kevin Smith must be in perpetual Nerdgasm mode right now.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2013, 11:02:12 PM

I think it's Kubrick's best myself, but I have to wait for Ide to deconstruct it first before I make an actual ruling.

Funny thing about Lyndon is I don't think there's that much to deconstruct; like I said a while ago, once I finally got a chance to see it, I found its reputation as challenging to be odd.  It's a perfectly normal epic, albeit with an antihero, that just happens to be very well made.

Quote from: NeilI hate Ide's most recent review, since it contains a lot of his fucked up morality.

:( Probably unavoidable.  Luckily, You're Next is a comedy about the uselessness of rich people, so everyone can enjoy.  Wait.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

I watched Saving Private Ryan again yesterday for the first time in 5 or 6 years. I had totally forgotten that Nathan Fillion was in it.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Scipio

In anticipation of The World's End, watched Hot Fuzz last night.  What a great movie.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt