News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 13, 2013, 07:26:17 AM
Lordy. Too wordy. Brevity is the soul of wit.

C-

Eh, it's a fine line.  I've been accused of being contentless, I've been accused of being overlong.  I guess those aren't really opposites, but anyway--I've always found editing for final publication hard because it disrupts the flow of the draft. :(

I'm moving 'em to a blog anyway, and may start giving only expurgated versions here.

Quote from: JosqS1m0ne- This film is very very good. But very unknown. By the same guy who made Gattica. A film maker has a computer generated actress that he fools the world into thinking is real. Hijinks ensue.

S1m0ne is pretty decent.  It's before Andrew Niccol fell off the wagon and started injecting heroin directly into his eyes again, thus explaining In Time and his decision to take the job of adapting a Stephanie Meyer novel.

Quote from: VikingIt is actually a bit disturbing for me to see all my counter-cultural assumptions about the nature of corporations and the luddite and leveler scum that oppose them confirmed.

Maybe this is some Euro-Yanqui divide, but here that's not counter-cultural, it's conformist.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on June 13, 2013, 10:34:26 AM
Mia Kirshner is right now in our office, helping to clean out her dad's office. I met her, shook her hand. She's wearing tight blue jeans. Every now and then she bends down to put stuff in boxes. She's wearing what appears to be pink panties.

Other than being a helpful daughter and providing a moral boost to departing employees.  Who is she?

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on June 13, 2013, 11:25:26 AM

Quote from: VikingIt is actually a bit disturbing for me to see all my counter-cultural assumptions about the nature of corporations and the luddite and leveler scum that oppose them confirmed.

Maybe this is some Euro-Yanqui divide, but here that's not counter-cultural, it's conformist.

Not in society, but rather in Radical Liberal Hollywood terms. Ayn Rand didn't write enough screenplays, so the field is left to elitist liberal hollywood types.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Liep on June 13, 2013, 11:21:41 AM
They're still making new Poirots? How is that guy still alive?
You may be thinking of the (hugely inferior) Peter Ustinov Poirot. He's sadly dead.

They're still making David Suchet Poirot. Though I've had to give up watching this one :weep:

QuoteIt is actually a bit disturbing for me to see all my counter-cultural assumptions about the nature of corporations and the luddite and leveler scum that oppose them confirmed.
I hate how the poor Luddites and admirable levellers are still perjorative terms :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2013, 11:29:31 AM
QuoteIt is actually a bit disturbing for me to see all my counter-cultural assumptions about the nature of corporations and the luddite and leveler scum that oppose them confirmed.
I hate how the poor Luddites and admirable levellers are still perjorative terms :(

Luddites and Levellers are scum, that is why they are still pejorative terms.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on June 13, 2013, 11:33:42 AM
I think you should read a bit more about them, because neither were.
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2013, 11:38:23 AM
Quote from: Viking on June 13, 2013, 11:33:42 AM
I think you should read a bit more about them, because neither were.

Murder, Sabotage (from the french word sabot which means clog, which french saboteurs threw into machinery to destroy it, just like the luddites)?

The Levellers were a bit better. Fortunately for england they never got to implement their radical agenda. When that agenda has been implemented everywhere it has resulted in mass murder.

Sheilbh

I'm not sure how etymology helps.

What was the radical agenda of the Luddites?
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 13, 2013, 11:25:44 AM
Mia Kirshner is right now in our office, helping to clean out her dad's office. I met her, shook her hand. She's wearing tight blue jeans. Every now and then she bends down to put stuff in boxes. She's wearing what appears to be pink panties.

Other than being a helpful daughter and providing a moral boost to departing employees.  Who is she?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000477/?ref_=sr_1
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

I recognize her, but from the list I've only seen Not Another Teen Movie and that was so horribly bad I would think I had forgotten her. Maybe not.

At any rate, looks like good in-office entertainment. :thumbsup:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2013, 12:00:11 PM

What was the radical agenda of the Luddites?

clogs plus gears = good

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2013, 12:00:11 PM

I think it was a Star Trek VI reference.  NERDS.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

:ccr:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

I had to google who that was.

You should ask her out Jo, I mean say Hi!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

All those unfamiliar with miss Kirshner should look up "jenny and marina l word"  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?