News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Bridge of Spies is free with ads on Youtube right now.

Josephus

Quote from: The Brain on March 22, 2024, 04:01:45 PMI couldn't finish The Revenant when I tried to watch it. Note to directors: slow means dull, not deep. Even the bear attack had me checking my phone.

At first I couldn't remember what The Revenant was. Then I remembered when you mentioned this that I did see it. Up until the bear attack.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2024, 10:34:58 AMRewatched Game of Thrones, and in doing so saw the infamous season 8 for the first time.

I honestly don't know what the big stink was about.  The big zombie battle was pretty silly, but I thought everything else worked fine.  There was a lot that I found quite moving.

As a ferinstance of what bugged me, they had an entire (quite good) episode which was, basically, a goodbye party because they knew a bunch of the gang were gong to die tomorrow.  Very moving, and it set us up to see the death of some favorite characters.

And then Benioff and Weiss flubbed the landing by having all of them survive.

I think that most fabs were extremely disappointed that the entire Night King storyline ended with such a whimper.  The whole White Walker storyline was revealed to be just a McGuffin.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Finally got to see Dune 2 at the big Imax in Leicester Square.

I know they're there pretty often but the "learn about Islam" stall offering free Qurans outside the cinema took a slightly different connotation when I left :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2024, 03:48:45 PMFinally got to see Dune 2 at the big Imax in Leicester Square.

I know they're there pretty often but the "learn about Islam" stall offering free Qurans outside the cinema took a slightly different connotation when I left :lol:
Just don't tell them about buddhism.

I'm going to see Dune 2 sometime next week. Was considering a Everyman cinema but will have to aim for imax instead.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

3 Body Problem was great. Shogun too.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Anyone seen the new Roadhouse?  I've seen critics saying it's an excellent "pif-paf" movie where it's refreshing that you don't have to think and I've seen others complaining it's a bad movie because the scenario is so simplistic, that you don't have to think, like it's not a 2024 movie...  I guess they all agree on one thing.  :D

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Matrix Resurrections- This is....a thing. Its funny as basically the entire first 40 minutes or so is with a complete lack of subtly screaming "Wasn't the original great? Why the fuck are WB forcing us to make a new one? We're just doing this as they threatened to do it without us otherwise."

Its enjoyable enough. But I'm pleased to say that it being so long since release that I see it- I was hyped to hell for the second one, unbelievable to me of 20 years ago that I wouldn't have seen this already- was a pretty valid decision.

Though I must say though they could have done more to lay the boot in on the 'red pill' thing and how critically misunderstood it has been.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

The first 40 minutes of Resurrections are pretty great - pity then it becomes a rethread of familiar stuff.

Josquius

I've seen Dune 2.
Its good.
So....

Yep. I see what people mean about the compressed timeline. Its very clear here where its a lot vaguer in other adaptations. The casting of Alia is interesting, wonder if she's onboard for the sequel- though IIRC that takes place sometime before she grows up...I guess there's weird future sight stuff to be dealt with though.

Christopher Walken is a perfect world weary emperor.

I liked the directing style of skipping superfluous bits that are obviously going to happen.
-Paul walks to the temple. Priestess tells him he can't drink the water. Cut to he's already drank it.
-Chani shows up to help Paul cross the desert. Very brief training. Cut to later and its done.
Most films would drag it out and feel the need to directly connect the scenes but not this.

The final battle...it was quite anti climactic. Most adaptations show this as a big deal though a lot of Game of Thrones style "and then they fight" cuts here skipping straight through the action. Quite a contrast to the first film which did make much of battle scenes where in other versions they aren't really there.
Though I do suppose this fits the point that it isn't just final battle, baddies beaten, good prevails.

The complete lack of the guild except for the cryptic chat at the start, as in the first, is a curious choice. And a shame.

The languages are interesting. The Harkonen one seemed almost recognisable at times.

Been forever since I read the book...but the ending seems much changed and makes me wonder about whether they'll change the 3rd a lot- tie in with the timey wimey stuff and make further sequels more possible?
So a bunch of ships from the other houses show up, say they won't accept Paul....then the jihad kicks off. But...what about those ships in orbit? They had the nuke the spice threat so they just went home?
I really don't remember the great houses involvement in the book?
Chani running away like so too... Pretty sure this is completely new. The 3rd opens some years later with Chani and Paul together (and the empress hanging on unfulfilled). Could it be the 3rd isn't going to be the 3rd book entirely but rather some sort of in betweeny adventures of Chani thingy?

Interestingly on the way out I heard two guys chatting and one said he hadn't seen the first one, he'd heard it was a lot slower, but might want to see it now. :blink:
Also heard some girl complaining it was just Star Wars. Le sigh.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Josquius on March 26, 2024, 05:53:14 PMAlso heard some girl complaining it was just Star Wars. Le sigh.

A friend of mine, she said the same thing after watching the first movie. "It's like Star Wars". How? I asked. "The people in the sand, the Spice instead of the Force ... "
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

There is a lot that is changed from the book in the second movie.  That surprised me since the first movie was quite faithful - no pun intended.

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on March 27, 2024, 05:29:01 AM
Quote from: Josquius on March 26, 2024, 05:53:14 PMAlso heard some girl complaining it was just Star Wars. Le sigh.

A friend of mine, she said the same thing after watching the first movie. "It's like Star Wars". How? I asked. "The people in the sand, the Spice instead of the Force ... "

Lucas clearly copied Herbert a bit too much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

3 body problem is superb.

Dune 2 was enjoyable, I actually thought the sound at the big screen was the greater differentiator to the visuals compared to watching at home.

Next up for me at the cinema is City of God. One of my favourite films but never seen it at the cinema. Ditto for my son who is joining me

FunkMonk

How is this Shogun show so good jesus christ
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.