News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Gups on May 12, 2023, 12:43:59 PMIt's kind of surprising how there aren't many TV series on war. Aside from sitcoms I can only think of BoB and Pacific off the top of my head.

Hogan's Heroes
McHale's Navy
oh and of course - MASH

There were one or two set in Vietnam whose names escape me.

I think you have to be far enough removed from a given war for the wounds to not be so fresh, but close enough that it still has relevance.  Wouldn't shock me if we start to see Iraq War tv shows in the next 10 years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on May 12, 2023, 01:22:54 PM
Quote from: Gups on May 12, 2023, 12:43:59 PMIt's kind of surprising how there aren't many TV series on war. Aside from sitcoms I can only think of BoB and Pacific off the top of my head.

Hogan's Heroes
McHale's Navy
oh and of course - MASH

I think you have to be far enough removed from a given war for the wounds to not be so fresh, but close enough that it still has relevance.  Wouldn't shock me if we start to see Iraq War tv shows in the next 10 years.

We've had that since it was contemporary right? Stuff like Homeland et al.
I guess trouble with the Iraq war is it isn't very action film friendly. We never got many films of any war this side of Vietnam.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Hogan's Heroes
McHale's Navy
oh and of course - MASH

China Grove and Tour of Duty.

(Gups did say, "Aside from sitcoms.")
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on May 12, 2023, 01:31:09 PM

Hogan's Heroes
McHale's Navy
oh and of course - MASH

Dyakuyu

I missed the "aside from" part.  And yes those were the shows I was thinking of.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2023, 06:56:13 AMThat's an interesting question I'd like to throw out to the general public.

What shows have you rewatched?  I've rewatched The Crown, Band of Brothers, and Downton Abbey.

For me mostly comedies (the original run of Futurama, The Kids in the Hall, The Muppet Show, Chapelle Show, Monty Python's Flying Circus) or shows that ended far too soon (Firefly, Police Squad!, Clerks, Fishing with John. (Which I see were mostly comedies too.))
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on May 12, 2023, 01:51:25 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2023, 06:56:13 AMThat's an interesting question I'd like to throw out to the general public.

What shows have you rewatched?  I've rewatched The Crown, Band of Brothers, and Downton Abbey.

For me mostly comedies (the original run of Futurama, The Kids in the Hall, The Muppet Show, Chapelle Show, Monty Python's Flying Circus) or shows that ended far too soon (Firefly, Police Squad!, Clerks, Fishing with John. (Which I see were mostly comedies too.))

Ooh!  Police Squad!  You can find it on Youtube.  Only six episodes, but I think I've watched them all a few times.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on May 12, 2023, 01:31:09 PM

Hogan's Heroes
McHale's Navy
oh and of course - MASH

Combat, 12 O'clock High. Sharpe

HVC

On the flip side it's kind of weird that there are so many sitcoms. War doesn't seem to scream comedy.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

I am rewatching The Rockford Files right now.  :sleep:

I like it...but the characters would have to have a serious case of TBI based on the number of times he is knocked out with a blow to the back of the head.

Not to mention an amazing ability to survive pissing off about...hmm, I think my count is now, by Season 3...at least a dozen organized crime bigwigs.  Especially since they always seem to know where he lives.

Eddie Teach

Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, The Office, Cheers(but not in a long time). Random episode of a sitcom.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Servant of the People has serious eye candy.

Josephus

I used to watch a lot of shows in the afternoon after school--so you had stuff like MASH and Happy Days, for instance.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Maladict

Quote from: Savonarola on May 12, 2023, 01:31:09 PMTour of Duty.

Now there's a blast from the past. Tour of Duty was always the #1 topic at school on Mondays, at least among those allowed to watch it as a teenager.
I think I still have some of the soundtrack CDs.

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on May 13, 2023, 06:23:52 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on May 12, 2023, 01:31:09 PMTour of Duty.

Now there's a blast from the past. Tour of Duty was always the #1 topic at school on Mondays, at least among those allowed to watch it as a teenager.
I think I still have some of the soundtrack CDs.

There was a time in the 80s when there was a bit of a Vietnam War fascination going on, with movies like Platoon or the Tour of Duty TV show. I remember there was a German monthly magazine 'Nam about the war; a friend bought it every month.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Sure budget must be a huge constraint on TV?

All the big ones I can think of are American - in depicting soldiers and battles etc. The Home Front feels like it's the more common (and cheaper) setting for BBC shows.
Let's bomb Russia!