News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

It has been forever and a day since I saw it but I do remember the first as a decent popcorn flick.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

It doesn't sound like any of you know the rules.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Most recent great gen x movie (hopefully not the last) could be Once upon a time in Hollywood.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on May 11, 2023, 03:30:53 AMIt has been forever and a day since I saw it but I do remember the first as a decent popcorn flick.

Exactly. It is most definitely not required viewing, but a decent turn-your-brain-off kind of flick, and at this point has historic interest as a franchise starter (a franchise on which I gave up about halfway through the second movie).

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 11, 2023, 05:06:00 AMMost recent great gen x movie (hopefully not the last) could be Once upon a time in Hollywood.

All of Tarantino's references are 100% boomer though. He loves the same movies my dad does.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on May 11, 2023, 07:45:50 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 11, 2023, 05:06:00 AMMost recent great gen x movie (hopefully not the last) could be Once upon a time in Hollywood.

All of Tarantino's references are 100% boomer though. He loves the same movies my dad does.

Tarantino was born in 1963, which puts him at the tail edge of the Baby Boom.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on May 11, 2023, 05:08:48 AM
Quote from: Josquius on May 11, 2023, 03:30:53 AMIt has been forever and a day since I saw it but I do remember the first as a decent popcorn flick.

Exactly. It is most definitely not required viewing, but a decent turn-your-brain-off kind of flick, and at this point has historic interest as a franchise starter (a franchise on which I gave up about halfway through the second movie).

Compared to the sequels, a lot more of stunts, not just CGI.  :P Vin Diesel has a somewhat limited range, as an actor.  :P
It also helps if you intend to watch the parody, Superfast (Superfast 8 in some countries). https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2933474

Breaking Point is the better movie however, IMO.

Tamas

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 11, 2023, 11:32:36 AMBreaking Point is the better movie however, IMO.

Oh yeah by a long mile.

Admiral Yi

Ain't no way I'm going to watch Point Break or F&F.

Still season 6 of Saul.  Maybe some of the best TV ever made.

SPOILERS

I'm at the episode where Kim in black and white is selling lawn supplies in Florida.  I noticed the writers gave her and the new hubby's slight Wisconsin speech patterns. Yep, geez.  I think they did this because (nod to Sav on a roll) if they had given her Florida speech patterns it wouldn't have been clear that she had totally rejected the grifter life.

Gups

With you on those films and on BCS. Sensational television. Amongst the handful of shows I will re-watch every five years or so.

Admiral Yi

That's an interesting question I'd like to throw out to the general public.

What shows have you rewatched?  I've rewatched The Crown, Band of Brothers, and Downton Abbey.

Syt

Band of Brothers, , Breaking Bad, Babylon 5, various Trek, Farscape, but mostly comedy: Frasier, The Good Place, BoJack Horseman, Rad Dwarf, Black Books, Father Ted, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, ...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Thinking about it, basically only comedies.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 12, 2023, 07:16:10 AMThinking about it, basically only comedies.

Pretty much this, for the little of TV that I watch, though I think I'll take up Yi's and Gups's sugggestion of BCS.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"