News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 08, 2023, 07:51:44 PMI did not care for Fight Club.

That's fair.

I adored it, but it's not without room for criticism.  I even feel slightly guilty about how much I like it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on May 08, 2023, 10:49:48 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on May 08, 2023, 07:51:44 PMI did not care for Fight Club.

That's fair.

I adored it, but it's not without room for criticism.  I even feel slightly guilty about how much I like it.

:ph34r:

It's ok, but it didn't really do much for me. Probably too young when it came out.  Actually, thinking about it I'm no too much of a fan of Edward Norton. Not sure why. Only movie of his I can think of that I really like is American History X, and more so for the other actors performances more so then his.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on May 08, 2023, 10:55:10 PMIt's ok, but it didn't really do much for me. Probably too young when it came out.  Actually, thinking about it I'm no too much of a fan of Edward Norton. Not sure why. Only movie of his I can think of that I really like is American History X, and more so for the other actors performances more so then his.

He held up his end in Rounders very well.

Josephus

Quote from: Savonarola on May 08, 2023, 05:26:02 PMOn the other hand it has a lot of the themes are common in Gen-X movies (divorced parents, dismal office jobs, ennui, dark humor.)  It also, to me, seems to come from a pre 9/11 world; the characters are angry that they're not going to be rock stars or movie gods, not that there's a whole clash of civilizations thing going on.

Yeah, like what Sav says here. When I said it was the last great movie of the Gen X generation, I was less talking about exactly when it came out (although obviously it had to be in a certain era), but more how it was the last movie that in my mind fell into that genre that is bookmarked  perhaps with the Breakfast Club type comedies, got more serious with Brat Pack films like St. Elmo's Fire, moved into the heavy stuff with Tarantino and Spike Lee and then sort of ended around this time. One of the last films we went to see at the movies and then discussed it endlessly for several hours over several pints.

I know that being born in 1966, I'm on the older edge of the Gen X spectrum, but by 1999 I was 33. Approaching the end of that key 18-34 demographic.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: HVC on May 08, 2023, 10:55:10 PMActually, thinking about it I'm no too much of a fan of Edward Norton. Not sure why. Only movie of his I can think of that I really like is American History X, and more so for the other actors performances more so then his.

No love for The Incredible Hulk?
I thought he did good in it.
American History X and Fight Club were both good movies, but I would say Fight Club benefited from Brad Pitt more than Norton's presence.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Yeah, I feel that given his talent Norton hasn't had the career he should. Probably because of his "difficult" reputation.

I'd add that he's always been excellent in his Wes Anderson movies, in lighter roles than what he usually takes.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on May 09, 2023, 02:29:45 PMYeah, I feel that given his talent Norton hasn't had the career he should. Probably because of his "difficult" reputation.
It's the reason Mark Ruffalo is so grateful to him. :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

I had forgotten the masterpiece that was Edward Nortons hulk :D.  Although I guess it was better then Bana's.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Bridge of Spies is available for rent on youtube.  It's excellent if you haven't seen it yet.

viper37

Admiral Yi

I'm pretty sure if I had seen either I would find that hilarious.

celedhring

Watched Guardians 3. I think it's the weakest of the lot but still very enjoyable - I was only bored during the mandatory SFX-fest of the third act, which felt very shoehorned in.

Now I wonder if Warner will let Gunn do the Gunn thing on the Superman movie he's attached to direct. That might be glorious - Suicide Squad 2 already was a troma movie with a 200 million dollar budget.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2023, 04:44:11 PMI'm pretty sure if I had seen either I would find that hilarious.

You suck you should watch both but at least Point Break.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on May 11, 2023, 02:30:40 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 10, 2023, 04:44:11 PMI'm pretty sure if I had seen either I would find that hilarious.

I'M AN FBI AGENT!

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on May 11, 2023, 02:30:40 AM

What? The Fast and the Furious as required viewing? :wacko:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.