News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on May 08, 2023, 03:42:01 PMDespite obviously being made by teh olds I'd place fight clubs cultural standing as more of a millenial film.
It was hugely influential in a lot of the more negative shit that has cropped up over the past 2 decades.
To go out there MMAs being a thing I'd even somewhat link with the success of the film for instance.  And man is that a negative sport.

What you talkin' about Willis?

Movie came out in 1999.  It was rated R.  Millenials were just children when it came out.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

Quote from: Josquius on May 08, 2023, 03:42:01 PMDespite obviously being made by teh olds I'd place fight clubs cultural standing as more of a millenial film.
It was hugely influential in a lot of the more negative shit that has cropped up over the past 2 decades.
To go out there MMAs being a thing I'd even somewhat link with the success of the film for instance.  And man is that a negative sport.

UFC may have become more popular due to Fight Club, but it pre-dated the film (in fact they based the fights in Fight Club on UFC.)  UFC was more brutal back in those days; which is one reason the characters bleed so much and get so messed up due to the fights.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on May 08, 2023, 03:51:03 PM

UFC may have become more popular due to Fight Club, but it pre-dated the film (in fact they based the fights in Fight Club on UFC.)  UFC was more brutal back in those days; which is one reason the characters bleed so much and get so messed up due to the fights.

So I'm not a UFC guy, don't think I've ever sat through a whole UFC card.  But I was in a fraternity in the 1990s so I was certainly aware of UFC.

It's funny to think how UFC has become almost so tame, and even invented it's own martial art - MMA.  Back in the day practically the whole point of UFC was to see how a karate guy would do against a boxing guy, or an amateur wrestler against a jiu jitsu fighter, or whatever. 

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on May 08, 2023, 01:36:40 PMGentemmen welcome to:

Fight Club (1999)

I'm sure you know the rules

I saw this during it's original theatrical run.

Same  here.

QuoteI watched the French dub as well.  I couldn't catch all the idioms, but it's interesting which concepts can be directly taken from American English (Martha Stewart, Lorena Bobbit) and what needs to be changed (Ozzie and Harriet, Clam Chowder, Khakis.)  Also how Jared Leto's "She's hot" in the English becomes "She's not bad" in French.

I did not dare, at least on the big screen, might have watched a bit on TV. As for idioms, dubs are infamous for misguided attempts at lip sync so you get a lot of anglicisms (all agents get promoted to officiers for some reason officier = Commissioned officer, in French.

By 1999, Canada has its own French dubs, different of those for the rest of Francophonie. Even where there is no clearly recognisable dialect or Québécois sociolect, à la Lancer Frappé, it's easy to spot (English pronounced with an American English accent).
Triggers the dubbing "fans" over here.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on May 08, 2023, 03:46:44 PM

Movie came out in 1999.  It was rated R.  Millenials were just children when it came out.

At the cinema it was barely noticed. It's big impact came on DVD.
That most millenials were still teenagers at the time is key to it being so influential. Kind of like people who took starship troopers straight, an awful lot of young men did the same with fight club.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Not to say he's right, because I don't think he is,  but millennials started popping out in 1981 so at least some were adults.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on May 08, 2023, 02:35:59 PMI feel like it's pretty cliche of me to say that as a Gen X white male I really liked Fight Club.

To pick on another 90s classic it's like Starship Troopers - the movie is quite plainly trying to portray the protagonists as bad guys, but it's so slickly made you can't help but root for them anyways.

Chuck Palahniuk said he's received offers to buy the rights to Tyler Durden in order that the purchaser can write further adventures of Tyler Durden.   :lol:, but he is a fascinating character (with amazing fashion sense in the film.)

QuoteI remember watching this in a second-run theatre back in the day and being blown away by the twist.

Totally; I actually noticed a couple of the clues: the pay phone didn't accept incoming calls and I remember being puzzled why Marla couldn't hear Tyler building bunks or stage whispering to the narrator, but I still would never have imagined that.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on May 08, 2023, 04:12:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 08, 2023, 02:35:59 PMI remember watching this in a second-run theatre back in the day and being blown away by the twist.

Totally; I actually noticed a couple of the clues: the pay phone didn't accept incoming calls and I remember being puzzled why Marla couldn't hear Tyler building bunks or stage whispering to the narrator, but I still would never have imagined that.

1999 must have been quite the year for "twist" movies.  Both The Matrix and Sixth Sense came out that year, together with Fight Club.

It was just a different time, wasn't it.  WHile the internet certainly existed it was not the behemoth that it is now so the notion that you could have a movie "spoiled" just by looking at social media just wasn't a thing.

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on May 08, 2023, 04:03:47 PM

At the cinema it was barely noticed. It's big impact came on DVD.
That most millenials were still teenagers at the time is key to it being so influential. Kind of like people who took starship troopers straight, an awful lot of young men did the same with fight club.

Dude - Fight Club's influence came on freaking VHS.

Like I said - it's very much a Gen X thing.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on May 08, 2023, 04:20:48 PM]

Dude - Fight Club's influence came on freaking VHS.

That's just not true. It's one of the defining movies of the peak dvd era.
Remember it was very early in the noughties that dvds took over.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

All you middle aged fucks better stay out of our old geezer thread.

Savonarola

Quote from: HVC on May 08, 2023, 04:11:10 PMNot to say he's right, because I don't think he is,  but millennials started popping out in 1981 so at least some were adults.

They wouldn't have had office jobs at that point; or fallen victim to the Ikea nesting instinct.

I think some of the themes of Fight Club are universal.  The failure of the narrator to find meaning in his job or his possessions, his alienation, his difficulty forming relationships; I think is common among many white collar workers at the early stages of their career.  Likewise the film is so well made, and so ambiguous, that I can see how it would appeal beyond the specific time and place it was made.

On the other hand it has a lot of the themes are common in Gen-X movies (divorced parents, dismal office jobs, ennui, dark humor.)  It also, to me, seems to come from a pre 9/11 world; the characters are angry that they're not going to be rock stars or movie gods, not that there's a whole clash of civilizations thing going on.

viper37

GRR Martin declares unequivocal support for WGA strike
"I shall keep on not writing my sequel books"

As bad as the GoT tv finale was, at least, we had a finale.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Gups on May 07, 2023, 04:10:08 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2023, 12:35:04 PMBritannia

I really liked season 1.
It's the conquest of Britain by the Romans, but with some magical elements mixed in it.  Druids are fighting one Roman general who is serving the evil lord of the underworld.  And the druids are shady ones, betraying and allying with some of the Celtic tribes in turn.  The Chosen one vs the Evil one.

Season 2 wasn't that bad.

But now season 3.  It's everywhere all at once and it's really weird.  5 episode in, out of 8, I'm note sure I understand much of what I'm seeing.

And it's goddam bleak.  Like hard to watch.  I'm not even gonna put spoilers.

Available on CBC's website, and likely BBC too since it's a British tv show.

Sky I think, not BBC. Watched the first one. It was ok but didn't pull me in
Ahhhh, FFS!!

I struggle to keep watching this season, hoping I'll at least see the conclusion of the show, but it ends on a cliffhanger and the show has been cancelled.
Damn.

Oh well.  At least I won't have to suffer through a 4th season of this weird experimental theater stuff and these weird movements, and pose and cries and psychedelic stuff... Such a weird 3rd season, so different than the other 2.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

I did not care for Fight Club.