News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

What about Christopher Lee? LOTR, Star Wars, Hammer cinematic universe, James Bond...

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on April 14, 2023, 11:54:54 AMWhat about Christopher Lee? LOTR, Star Wars, Hammer cinematic universe, James Bond...

The Howling II never gets mentioned, for some reason.  :hmm:

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 14, 2023, 11:57:26 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 14, 2023, 11:54:54 AMWhat about Christopher Lee? LOTR, Star Wars, Hammer cinematic universe, James Bond...

I could have mentioned Gremlins II.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on April 14, 2023, 11:59:18 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 14, 2023, 11:57:26 AM

I could have mentioned Gremlins II.  :P

Obviously, since it's much better than the Howling II.  :P

celedhring

To set some rules, I - admittedly arbitrarily - set the bar at a minimum three pieces of audiovisual media, and remakes/reboots do not count (i.e. "A Star is Born" is not a franchise even though there's 4 movies).

I think both Howling and Gremlins qualify (Howling has a shitload of shit sequels, Gremlins only has 2 movies but has a prequel cartoon coming up).

celedhring

Also, I suppose the crown will ultimately go to some voice actor that has been in a bunch of cartoons, which is kinda a bummer.

HVC

They're doing a gremlins prequel? Hollywood sucks.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2023, 01:15:55 PMAlso, I suppose the crown will ultimately go to some voice actor that has been in a bunch of cartoons, which is kinda a bummer.

Such disdain :o :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on April 14, 2023, 01:16:31 PMThey're doing a gremlins prequel? Hollywood sucks.

Wait until you get Casablanca in glorious 3D colour, with a happy ending.  :lol:

Admiral Yi

The Wonder on Netflix.  English nurse travels to Ireland in the 1860s to ascertain if a young girl is surviving without food or not.

I liked the setup and they push some good buttons but they could pushed up the pace just a teeny bit. 

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 15, 2023, 06:06:30 AMThe Wonder on Netflix.  English nurse travels to Ireland in the 1860s to ascertain if a young girl is surviving without food or not.

I liked the setup and they push some good buttons but they could pushed up the pace just a teeny bit. 

I liked that movie. It's a great allegory on trauma and it's consequences.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on April 13, 2023, 03:56:29 PMBeef on Netflix. 99% Rotten Tomatoes score feels justified on basis of 1st episode

Crash meets Joy Luck Club.

Syt

Quote from: Gups on April 11, 2023, 03:24:36 AM
Quote from: Josquius on April 11, 2023, 02:08:32 AMDoes Succession take time to get good or is it there from the start?
I've tried it but can't get through a scene or two of episode 1. Never in the right frame of mind I guess.

Personally I loved it from the very first scene.

I've just finished Ep. 4 of S1 (the one with the charity gala). Really enjoying it. Yes, all characters are pretty terrible people, but also quite pathetic, making it quite funny to watch. It's not as bleak as House of Cards, but much more grounded than Arrested Development (which has a similar setup). In this episode I had quite a few laugh out loud moments, and especially enjoyed Alan Ruck - in the first episodes always the aloof older brother, mostly staying out of the infighting and nonsense, and then completely losing his cool once he's in charge of the gala, fitting right in with the rest. :lol:

I'm also developing a very unhealthy crush on Shiv.  :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Godless
Mini series from 2017.
I guess Languish does not have many fans of westerns, because I don't recall this show ever being mentioned here.

Labelle, New Mexico, is a town nearly entirely populated by women.
One night, an injured outlaw, on the run from his mentor, crash into a nearby ranch.  His former boss, Frank (Jeff Daniels), a ruthless psychopath, search for him throughout the area.

It's really interesting, very well written, even if you're not a fan of westerns you should like this one. There's the main plot, with Frank and his gang searching a large area for their former comrade Roy Goode, but there's the whole dynamic of a late 19th century small town filled with women and their challenges, after most of their men died in a mining disaster.

Highly recommend this one, it's a Netflix show.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Seven Kings Must Die. They'd have been better to just make another season. This movie felt rushed. Too much going on, too little development. It was ok though.

One might draw parallels to El Camino.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?