News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

So youngest kid Joshua (age 9) has been on a big space kick recently.  He got in his mind he wanted to watch the movie The Martian.  It's on Disney+, we had our big family Easter dinner on Saturday, so we wound up watching it with a thoroughly untraditional Easter meal of naan bread pizzas.

Darn it - that was a nicely satisfying action/adventure story.  I'd seen it before but several years ago, and not with my kids.

I wonder if I could push the envelope and get them to watch one of my all-time favourites: 2001.  :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on April 09, 2023, 11:41:34 PMSo youngest kid Joshua (age 9) has been on a big space kick recently.  He got in his mind he wanted to watch the movie The Martian.  It's on Disney+, we had our big family Easter dinner on Saturday, so we wound up watching it with a thoroughly untraditional Easter meal of naan bread pizzas.

Darn it - that was a nicely satisfying action/adventure story.  I'd seen it before but several years ago, and not with my kids.

I wonder if I could push the envelope and get them to watch one of my all-time favourites: 2001.  :ph34r:

Do they accept ancient films?

When I was a kid I always had issue with black and white films. One friend with teenage kids says they find even a lot of 80s films to be too primitive to cope with.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

2001 would be way too boring for them. It is for me, if I am honest.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on April 10, 2023, 02:41:03 AM2001 would be way too boring for them.

And too trippy. Wait at least until they're teenagers.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tamas on April 10, 2023, 02:41:03 AM2001 would be way too boring for them. It is for me, if I am honest.

no kidding. that docking scene alone.
No doubt it's quite something, but how long does it need to take.

----

anyways, watched John Wick a few days ago.
An entertaining action flick, without any pretentions at being anything more. Didn't overstay it's welcome either clocking in at about 1.5 hours (not counting credits)

started watching lower decks. it's amusing

Syt

Not sure if they still do it, but Austrian Airlines used to play On the Blue Danube while the landed plane would taxi to its parking position. :wub: :nerd:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on April 10, 2023, 05:46:00 AMNot sure if they still do it, but Austrian Airlines used to play On the Blue Danube while the landed plane would taxi to its parking position. :wub: :nerd:

awesome

viper37

Denise Richards and Paul Walker starred in this...

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

We have a ghost - I was expecting a silly slapstick comedy. It was... Odd. More a comedy drama sort of thing.
The whole cia subplot was nonsensical but otherwise surprisingly good.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

It looks like the plot of Robocop...but replace "cop" with "T-Rex".

FunkMonk

This week's Succession was absolutely brilliant. Wow.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habbaku

:yes: Glad the show's ending on a high note. Can't imagine they could keep this up for much longer.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Only started watching Succession recently (2 episodes in), so no spoilerinos, please. -_-
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on April 10, 2023, 09:15:46 PM:yes: Glad the show's ending on a high note. Can't imagine they could keep this up for much longer.

I thought past season was a bit meandering (although it ended on a high point), so yeah, I think it's good they're ending it before it declines too much.

Haven't seen this episode yet.