News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Blonde is plenty fucking dark if anyone is in that mood.

The Brain

I've always liked Cunk's Shakespeare episode.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

The endless repetition of that Pump Up the Jam was funny-annoying.
The only thing I thought didn't work was her fantasy courtiers in the castle bit...went on a bit too long.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Dishonored (1931)

This is the third Marlene Dietrich - Josef von Sternberg collaboration.  The first two (The Blue Angel and Morocco) are classics of the early sound era; this one has its moments, but really doesn't live up to the first two.  Dietrich plays a war widow turned streetwalker turned spy who ultimately must choose between love and duty.  Dietrich turns in an impressive performance, but most of the supporting cast isn't there - the male lead, Victor McLaglen, is particularly egregious; he spends the entire film strutting around with this smug leer on his face (think of Bill Maher doing a Mick Jagger impression and you're in the ballpark.)  Typical for the era, but unusual for von Sternberg, the film is verbose; he does get his usual scenes of parties, diaphanous walls and bric-a-brac in, but the dialogue often slows things down.

Interestingly the rival spies come from Imperial Russia and the Austro-Hungarian Empire; two countries that no longer existed by the time the film was made.

It was enough of a success for MGM to make their own copycat version; Mata Hari with Greta Garbo.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Fawlty Towers is coming back. Does not seem like a good idea.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2023, 03:09:55 PMFawlty Towers is coming back. Does not seem like a good idea.

John Cleese and Connie Booth?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2023, 03:40:46 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 07, 2023, 03:16:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2023, 03:09:55 PMFawlty Towers is coming back. Does not seem like a good idea.

John Cleeves. Connie Booth?

With his daughter.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/feb/07/fawlty-towers-john-cleese-reboot

That sounds like a fucking terrible idea.

But Cleese has been extremely open to the point of hostility about how much prior divorces have cost him, so I guess he figured this was a chance at one more payday, plus with a shot at trying to set his daughter up financially.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

It'll be awful. It won't even have nostalgia. Cleese lost it some years ago.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Oh God, no, let a good thing lie.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Yeah... seems like every time Cleese's name has been up in the last decade or more it's been for "old man yells at cloud" type stuff.

With Fawlty Towers it was often wildly inappropriate and so uncomfortable and therefore funny. With 2.0 I kind of expect it to still wildly inappropriate but with a strong subtext of Cleese genuinely believing it while passing it off as "just a joke, don't be so sensitive." Which I don't expect to be as funny.

crazy canuck

"Don't talk about the war" won't translate very well.

celedhring

Been watching The Godfather of Harlem when I visit my mother. It's a pretty run of the mill gangster show, elevated by a  a great cast and a fascinating time and place to explore. Very watchable.

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on February 07, 2023, 05:07:13 PMYeah... seems like every time Cleese's name has been up in the last decade or more it's been for "old man yells at cloud" type stuff.

With Fawlty Towers it was often wildly inappropriate and so uncomfortable and therefore funny. With 2.0 I kind of expect it to still wildly inappropriate but with a strong subtext of Cleese genuinely believing it while passing it off as "just a joke, don't be so sensitive." Which I don't expect to be as funny.

Thinking further I am mildly curious at how much of a train wreck it'll be.
The original was funny because despite Fawlty being a horrible person we were laughing at him. How terrible a human he was, and the comeuppance he received, was the joke.
Now however Cleese has BECAME Basil Fawlty.
In a 'proper' updated version you'd have Fawlty ranting about how now Brexit has come all his problems would be solved and it was only down to those evil arrogant French that this wasn't the case- oh look, some French visitors...and they turn out to be lovely.
In Cleese mind however....Someone with this view would be in the right and not a rabid loon.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 07, 2023, 05:56:25 PM"Don't talk about the war" won't translate very well.
I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it.
Civis Romanus Sum