News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2019, 02:49:35 PM
I knew Jackson only from The Frighteners, and was similarly puzzled he was doing LOTR.

My brother and I had rented "Meet the Feebles" from (90s alert) an independent video rental store; because "The Village Voice" had described it as "Breathtaking in it's tastelessness."  I can't say they were wrong.  I had no desire to see anything else he did after that.  (Although "Heavenly Creatures" had been released at that time; and had gotten an Oscar nomination.  I had no idea they were done by the same director.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Threviel

Syt

Quote from: Savonarola on February 21, 2019, 02:59:19 PM
My brother and I had rented "Meet the Feebles" from (90s alert) an independent video rental store; because "The Village Voice" had described it as "Breathtaking in it's tastelessness."  I can't say they were wrong.  I had no desire to see anything else he did after that.  (Although "Heavenly Creatures" had been released at that time; and had gotten an Oscar nomination.  I had no idea they were done by the same director.)

Dunno, as a 90s teen I thought it was hilarious. But I can totally see that a lot of people wouldn't share the sentiment. :D Braindead has a scene in it (which is only mildly gory, but IMHO very yuck) that still makes me shudder in amused disgust when I think of it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on February 21, 2019, 03:04:31 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on February 21, 2019, 02:59:19 PM

Dunno, as a 90s teen I thought it was hilarious. But I can totally see that a lot of people wouldn't share the sentiment. :D Braindead has a scene in it (which is only mildly gory, but IMHO very yuck) that still makes me shudder in amused disgust when I think of it.

Which one? The ear one?  :lol:

The Spanish title of the movie made it very clear that you were not watching a tasteful movie.  :P

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on February 21, 2019, 03:07:04 PM

Yup. And the "squirts" in that scene. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on February 21, 2019, 03:09:45 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 21, 2019, 03:07:04 PM

Yup. And the "squirts" in that scene. :D

Can't (and don't reaaly want to) remember the "squirts" part.  :lol:

In Spain Braindead was marketed as "Your mother has eaten my dog". It just doesn't leave much to the imagination.

Syt

Title doesn't lie, though.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on February 21, 2019, 03:24:44 PM

Well, here it is if you want to remind yourself. :P
https://youtu.be/7U23A0zrE-E?t=89
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on February 21, 2019, 03:32:43 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 21, 2019, 03:24:44 PM

Well, here it is if you want to remind yourself. :P
https://youtu.be/7U23A0zrE-E?t=89

I'm not clicking on that, I'm not clicking on that...  :lmfao:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on February 21, 2019, 02:37:30 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 21, 2019, 02:10:28 PM
Trailer for Meet the Feebles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FON5KnEKReA

He gained some notoriety with his Braindead movie which we watched on video as teens. From there we looked at Feebles and Bad Taste. When I heard he was doing LotR I had to do a double take. "THAT Peter Jackson? :blink: "

:lol:

I had the same reaction (though I had only seen "Meet the Feebles.")

Same reaction, since I knew him only for Braindead and Bad Taste. :)

Josquius

Watched Russian Doll on netflix. Pretty good.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on February 21, 2019, 04:47:36 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/arts/television/best-drama-series.html?mc=aud_dev&ad-keywords=auddevgate&subid1=TAFI&ad_name=1BEHA_20_XXXX_XXX_1P_CD_XX_XX_SITEVISITXREM_X_XXXX_COUSA_P_X_X_EN_FBIG_OA_XXXX_00_EN_JP_NFLINKS&adset_name=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2Finteractive%2F2019%2Farts%2Ftelevision%2Fbest-drama-series.html&campaign_id=23843215538310063&fbclid=IwAR2FKbi2gCWVo3G75a0rdxlme5-Sj0usW5FiZfOaZs3vcNVl0u-jPVpzukY

Pretty decent list, really. But no GoT on it?

Pshaw. That is bullshit.

Well, they do have their "Toughest Omissions" at the bottom, which includes GoT:

QuoteGame of Thrones
I suspect plenty of people scrolled or swiped through this list with increasing agitation, wondering how a team of TV watching professionals could pass over a show that is not only a three-time Emmy winner for best drama, not only the most obsessively tracked story on the planet, but is inarguably the single most ambitious endeavor in the history of the medium.

To those readers I can only say: I totally agree.

Even as "Game of Thrones" has piled up more Emmys than any other drama ever, the knock has been that it's not the best show on television, it's the most show on television. Fine. But its reputation for spectacle, sexposition and shocking twists overshadows the excellence of its storytelling, which has woven roughly 400 compelling subplots (and a few that were less so) into a grimy allegory about the world-shattering wages of unchecked ambition and cycles of vengeance. All of it presented at a scale and with a technical virtuosity that demolished the previous parameters of television like a zombie dragon laying waste to an ice wall.

WOULD SWAP OUT: "THE WEST WING" While I admire its craft and idealism, scorching straw men with stagy oratory does not a defining drama make.

—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

so it got bumped because of boobs?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: HVC on February 21, 2019, 05:03:07 PM
so it got bumped because of boobs?

The article was co-written by 3 editors. I guess they went with 20 shows they all could agree on, and each got to add a "wildcard" at the end.
—Stephen Jay Gould