News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Tyr on October 18, 2012, 07:46:39 PM
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the directors cut. They will probally have some sort of development with the captain lady which makes the "Oh, btw, thats my dad" scene less ham fisted and meh.

I liked Prometheus, it wasn't the best thing ever but it was pretty OK. Just like Avatar however it is very popular to hate on it.

Scenes I thought were over the top were,
1. Dumb ass trying to pet the mutated cave worms. What I said when that scene unfolded was, "You got shit for brains and you'll get your up and comins" "Stupid". I'd have probably shot the thing when it first "Flared". Would have defiantly had it muzzled with a weapon.
2. Taking their helmets off way too quickly.

3. The father thing.

4. The impact of what they had "discovered", "an intelligent extraterrestrial species with ties to earth" was down played or marginalized by the writers.

Posed more questions than answers. Nothing wrong with that IMO. I think the spinoff plot lines caused by us, "Meddling Monkeys" are minor side plots of typical bumbling humans. Maybe deflections by Scott and the writers. 
1. Opening the vault that mutated the cave worms
2. Why did driod boy bring the mutagen on the ship and infect dude with the mutagen (agenda there).
3. Shaw getting pregnant by infected boy.
4. Shaw's bundle of joy that took down the Engineer, which led to a familiar face  :) popping out of his chest.
5. Mohawk boy doing a face plant in the goo and getting mutated.

I think the real plot, at least to me and questions I would like answered in sequels are;
1. Who were the Engineers?
2. Why did the create life on earth?
3. For what purpose did they create or harvest the mutagen and what was their intent with it?
4. Why did they want to (apparently) destroy what they created on earth? They dated the dead engineers at 2000 years on LV 223. That would have been 93 CE on earth at the time the Engineers were alive.
5. Why, when the surviving Engineer gets woke up and comes to his senses, does he gets pissed? A big WTF moment in his eyes? ZOMG there loose? :lol:
6. Explaining or tying in the other craft on LV 426.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

The movie sucked. Get over it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on October 19, 2012, 01:55:57 AM
The movie sucked. Get over it.

No, you are gay and have no vision.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

The whole film of Waterloo is on Youtube.  I'm taking the opportunity to watch it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2012, 08:12:23 PM
The whole film of Waterloo is on Youtube.  I'm taking the opportunity to watch it.

Is it in the original super wide screen/whatever it was film in ? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

:)

I've got a region 0 Chinese disc.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 19, 2012, 09:50:54 PM

:)

I've got a region 0 Chinese disc.

Interesting fact, there were 2,000 soviet cavalry men use in the production of the film.  Though slightly anachronistic, all of them were equipped with late 1960's soviet military uniforms and gear in their scenes.  An additional 15,000 soviet infantry were used under the condition that they keep all the uniforms and props.  The uniforms, cannons and long arms from the film were used by soviet soldiers in Germany until 1986 when they were replaced with props from American film North and the South.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Scipio

Just watched the trailer for Tom Cruise's new movie Jack Reacher.  Pretty typical fare until the last moments of the trailer.  Then I laughed out loud.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

AMC is showing a bunch of Friday The Thirteenths. Man those were bad, and got progressively worse.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

11B4V

Quote from: Josephus on October 20, 2012, 05:44:53 PM
AMC is showing a bunch of Friday The Thirteenths. Man those were bad, and got progressively worse.

I noticed that too. Just cant bring myself to watch.

Seen the old Red Dawn a couple of weeks ago. The trailer on the new one..........*shakes head* Hollywood is going to fuck it up, I just know it.

Liep

I hate digging scenes on television. NO! When you first hear that metal sound it shouldn't be possible to just brush of dirt from the rest of the box.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

Got the Planet of the Apes BD set.  Woot, possibly?  Sort of a compulsive buy.  The first one is very good, of course.

But just one bit about the original: Prometheus, as we've discussed, has some really terrible astronauts, but Planet of the Apes may have the worst astronauts of any story in any medium.  They fail to recognize our constellations, Jupiter, Venus, Sol, and THE FUCKING MOON, and incorrectly locate themselves in a star system like 300 light years from Earth.  Did I miss an explanation for that?  Did we blow up the moon?* :unsure:

*Apropos of nothing, this is one of two (2) good scenes in the otherwise awful remake of The Time Machine.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Quote from: 11B4V on October 19, 2012, 01:53:46 AM
Scenes I thought were over the top were,
1. Dumb ass trying to pet the mutated cave worms. What I said when that scene unfolded was, "You got shit for brains and you'll get your up and comins" "Stupid". I'd have probably shot the thing when it first "Flared". Would have defiantly had it muzzled with a weapon.
2. Taking their helmets off way too quickly.

Posed more questions than answers. Nothing wrong with that IMO. I think the spinoff plot lines caused by us, "Meddling Monkeys" are minor side plots of typical bumbling humans. Maybe deflections by Scott and the writers. 
1. Opening the vault that mutated the cave worms
2. Why did driod boy bring the mutagen on the ship and infect dude with the mutagen (agenda there).
3. Shaw getting pregnant by infected boy.
4. Shaw's bundle of joy that took down the Engineer, which led to a familiar face  :) popping out of his chest.
5. Mohawk boy doing a face plant in the goo and getting mutated.

I think the real plot, at least to me and questions I would like answered in sequels are;
1. Who were the Engineers?
2. Why did the create life on earth?
3. For what purpose did they create or harvest the mutagen and what was their intent with it?
4. Why did they want to (apparently) destroy what they created on earth? They dated the dead engineers at 2000 years on LV 223. That would have been 93 CE on earth at the time the Engineers were alive.
5. Why, when the surviving Engineer gets woke up and comes to his senses, does he gets pissed? A big WTF moment in his eyes? ZOMG there loose? :lol:
6. Explaining or tying in the other craft on LV 426.

Yeah, 2 bothered me somewhat too but then even in the best film ever they would probally do that. It isn't realistic, its rather dumb, but in cinema they'll always want people to take off their space suits asap so the actors can be seen.

And 1 is pretty typical horror movie stupid.

The rest...yeah. That was annoying about the film. Its not just a pseudo-alien prequel, it feels like the prequel to its sequel- as in it feels like it was made 2nd. It givess  nothing but questions really.
My guess is the suicide alien was from some crazy cult and the other aliens the anti-religion government/group, or even better a different religious faction that sees humans existance as heresy; one group is all up on spreading life in their lonely universe whilst the other things they're special and should stay that way.
██████
██████
██████