News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on March 13, 2024, 10:31:17 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 04, 2024, 12:22:23 PMYeah, that's the same impression I got. Great big ideas and visuals, and some imho smart decisions regarding the plot (like making Chani a skeptic). But the execution wasn't perfect. The plot feels pretty wonky in places, and all the last third feels incredibily rushed - and this is a 3-hour movie.It's one of those "this is really good but falls short of greatness" movies.

I feel like Villeneuve has this thing where he's really smart and "gets" what's the best big picture version of all the stories he tells - Blade Runner, Arrival, Dune, etc..., but then the scripts themselves feel a bit too mechanical.

Sicario remains his best movie overall, imho.

Just saw Dune 2, and overall I agree.  Still, I think this worked better than the other Villeneuve's I've seen.  Most of the additions worked well or at least didn't detract.  My two major complaints are the compression of the timeline (implication is that it took place over less than 9 months, which is way too short) and the fact that none of Thufir Hawat, the Spacing Guild or Alia showed up (Alia kind of did I guess).

Dune Messiah seems to be on the way so we should get the Spacing Guild and Alia

Not sure how the decision to mostly not get into the mentats is going to work with the Duncan Idaho Ghola though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: frunk on March 13, 2024, 10:31:17 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 04, 2024, 12:22:23 PMYeah, that's the same impression I got. Great big ideas and visuals, and some imho smart decisions regarding the plot (like making Chani a skeptic). But the execution wasn't perfect. The plot feels pretty wonky in places, and all the last third feels incredibily rushed - and this is a 3-hour movie.It's one of those "this is really good but falls short of greatness" movies.

I feel like Villeneuve has this thing where he's really smart and "gets" what's the best big picture version of all the stories he tells - Blade Runner, Arrival, Dune, etc..., but then the scripts themselves feel a bit too mechanical.

Sicario remains his best movie overall, imho.

Just saw Dune 2, and overall I agree.  Still, I think this worked better than the other Villeneuve's I've seen.  Most of the additions worked well or at least didn't detract.  My two major complaints are the compression of the timeline (implication is that it took place over less than 9 months, which is way too short) and the fact that none of Thufir Hawat, the Spacing Guild or Alia showed up (Alia kind of did I guess).

Timeline...I dunno. In Dune in general it does seem to all happen really fast. Neither in the original book or any adaptations can I remember getting the feeling of it taking place over many years, despite that being logical.
The only exception being the completely un-faithful original game.
Alia is the only thing to really mark time, but even there things are odd with her unnatural features.
██████
██████
██████

frunk

Quote from: Josquius on March 14, 2024, 03:33:45 AMTimeline...I dunno. In Dune in general it does seem to all happen really fast. Neither in the original book or any adaptations can I remember getting the feeling of it taking place over many years, despite that being logical.

In the book Alia is born and is ~3 years old by the end.  So at least about 4 years for the whole book.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on March 13, 2024, 07:08:54 PMIndeed you're right.  The opening animation made me think game of thrones so I assumed. Guess it made an ass out of me :lol: it's FX available on Hulu and I think Disney . I watch it through other means ( :pirate )

Funny.  I thought GoT opening too. Need to see if it's the same people
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

I think Villeneuve shortened the timeline in his adaptation for whatever reason. I don't have a problem with it but I can see why others might.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on March 14, 2024, 07:02:04 AM
Quote from: Josquius on March 14, 2024, 03:33:45 AMTimeline...I dunno. In Dune in general it does seem to all happen really fast. Neither in the original book or any adaptations can I remember getting the feeling of it taking place over many years, despite that being logical.

In the book Alia is born and is ~3 years old by the end.  So at least about 4 years for the whole book.

Alia develops quickly because she was exposed to the waters of life in the womb. 

But it is a process of at least two years for Paul to develop his military force and gain the support of all Fremen without having to kill Stilgar.

viper37

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 14, 2024, 08:20:48 AMI think Villeneuve shortened the timeline in his adaptation for whatever reason. I don't have a problem with it but I can see why others might.
The whole film seems rushed.

I wish Villeneuve wasn't a stuck up about extended versions.  These movies deserve the LOTR treatment.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on March 14, 2024, 10:12:12 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 14, 2024, 08:20:48 AMI think Villeneuve shortened the timeline in his adaptation for whatever reason. I don't have a problem with it but I can see why others might.

I wish Villeneuve wasn't a stuck up about extended versions.  These movies deserve the LOTR treatment.

I've not seen 2 yet but its two 2 hour + films for a really quite thin book. So it does seem to be doing quite well compared to most.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on March 14, 2024, 11:02:12 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 14, 2024, 10:12:12 AM

I've not seen 2 yet but its two 2 hour + films for a really quite thin book. So it does seem to be doing quite well compared to most.
The first one is okay.  Maybe some cuts, but ok.  I wish they would have expanded even more on the secondary characters, that's all.  I have not read the books, just watched the original movie and the mini-series.

The second one feels rushed toward the end.  Like "oh shit!  We got to close that thing!  Let's wrap this up people!  Nukes! Kill 'em all! Let's go! Chop! Chop!"

Minor criticism overall, because it is a great movie.

The way Villeneuve shoots things in this movie is amazing.

I believe Lynch's movie was closer to the book than Villeneuve is.  And I don't care at all about that.

I feel there may be a few things missing here and there for any viewer to properly understand the context of what is going on.  The final battle scenes are too quick for a modern movie, imho.

Not an apple to apple comparison, but the final fight scenes in Gladiator, or in Kingdom of Heaven were better done, imho.
But Dune 2, overall, beats those two movies by miles, as blockbuster goes.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Question for Cel, who is more responsible for the looks of a film, director or cinematography? Or does it vary film/show by film/show?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Holy crap - they're remaking / rebooting The Crow?

https://arstechnica.com/culture/2024/03/trailer-for-the-crow-reboot-seeks-to-update-cult-classic-for-the-21st-century/

So look - The Crow wasn't my favourite movie of all time.  I haven't seen it in 30 years.  But it was also a fucking iconic movie (with a killer soundtrack).  As Brandon Lee's breakthrough role (in which he also died while filming) it's almost sacred.

Talk about a reboot that didn't need to be made...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

They're remaking The Crow. I am displeased. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

lol beaten by 2 seconds

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Is it a remake of the movie or is it simply based on the same comics?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.