News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

CC - what ended up happening to V? Was he deported to Russia?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on March 12, 2024, 06:33:01 PMAnother great Shogun episode.

Did you get ninjas? Portuguese merchants or explorers? Jesuits (Portuguese or not)?  :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on March 12, 2024, 07:44:24 PMCC - what ended up happening to V? Was he deported to Russia?

No, the Federal Court of Appeal overturned the decision to deny citizenship, The Ministry of Immigration appealed to the SCC and the SCC denied the appeal.

V, is living his life now as a Canadian citizen in Canada.

The case is legally significant because the SCC took the opportunity to change the way judicial review works - but I won't bore you with that. 

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 13, 2024, 11:32:17 AM
Quote from: HVC on March 12, 2024, 06:33:01 PMAnother great Shogun episode.

Did you get ninjas? Portuguese merchants or explorers? Jesuits (Portuguese or not)?  :P

A kinda ninja makes an appearance. Yes Portuguese merchant, played by all actual porkchop (although being a Canadian you might disapprove :D ). Best one is a Spanish guy employed by him though. Two jesuits (one actually Portuguese, the other not)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Well, nothing groundbreaking compared to the first version.
Less ninjas actually, which is pretty damning.  :ph34r:  :P

HVC

This one has boobs. HBO after all
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on March 13, 2024, 02:25:39 PMThis one has boobs. HBO after all
but it's set in Japan?
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on March 13, 2024, 02:31:14 PM
but it's set in Japan?

You saying asians don't have boobs? Racist! :D

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on March 13, 2024, 02:32:13 PM
Quote from: Josquius on March 13, 2024, 02:31:14 PM
but it's set in Japan?

You saying asians don't have boobs? Racist! :D

I have extensive first hand experience.
They do not.
Traditionally they definitely don't, though I do hear modern diets are changing that. Rare to see it though.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

You got me excited to watch this... but it's not on HBO.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

There were boobs in the original one.  They were censored for regular tv.

It's only watching the series on Historia later that I realized what I missed while in 3rd-4th grade. :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Indeed you're right.  The opening animation made me think game of thrones so I assumed. Guess it made an ass out of me :lol: it's FX available on Hulu and I think Disney . I watch it through other means ( :pirate )

HVC

All boobs aside, it actually is a very good show. Well acted and the sets and shot quality is great. 

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on March 04, 2024, 12:22:23 PMYeah, that's the same impression I got. Great big ideas and visuals, and some imho smart decisions regarding the plot (like making Chani a skeptic). But the execution wasn't perfect. The plot feels pretty wonky in places, and all the last third feels incredibily rushed - and this is a 3-hour movie.It's one of those "this is really good but falls short of greatness" movies.

I feel like Villeneuve has this thing where he's really smart and "gets" what's the best big picture version of all the stories he tells - Blade Runner, Arrival, Dune, etc..., but then the scripts themselves feel a bit too mechanical.

Sicario remains his best movie overall, imho.

Just saw Dune 2, and overall I agree.  Still, I think this worked better than the other Villeneuve's I've seen.  Most of the additions worked well or at least didn't detract.  My two major complaints are the compression of the timeline (implication is that it took place over less than 9 months, which is way too short) and the fact that none of Thufir Hawat, the Spacing Guild or Alia showed up (Alia kind of did I guess).